Posts by Fbelt39867

I know a couple of others things that Joe is working on or has in the can. Definitiely some cool stuff and I'm sure it will be revealed in the coming months.

I here the collaboration with Akira is quite melodic in parts too.

I saw the Santa Clara show last night. A great show and setlist. Two guitarists too and a monster bass player. Joe's voice was as powerful as ever. Do yourself a favor and check him out if you get a chance.

Joe Lynn Turner is playing some West Coast dates (Northern and Southern California) during the 1st week of November. These are the latest from http://www.JoeLynnTurner.com

NOVEMBER 2ND
    THE AVALON
    777 Lawrence Expressway
    Santa Clara, CA 95051
    (408) 241-0777
    www.nightclubavalon.com

NOVEMBER 3RD
    PEPPERBELLY'S
    849 Texas Street
    FAIRFIELD, CA 94533
    (707) 422-SHOW
    www.pepperbellys.com

NOVEMBER 4TH
    PALADINO'S
    6101 Reseda Blvd.
    Reseda, CA 91335
    (818) 342-1563
    www.paladinosclub.com

NOVEMBER 5TH TBA

NOVEMBER 6TH
    THE COACH HOUSE
    33157 Camino Capistrano
    San Juan Capistrano
    CA, 92675
    (949) 496-8930
    www.thecoachhouse.com

Machine Remaster, not that good? Did I read that correctly?.... Everything Roger Glover has been involved with has been superb and the Machine Head remaster is genius (even better than In Rock and Fireball, which are great too). You have the originals songs one disc, so no complaints about tampering and the 2nd disc has the remixes, which is almost every case is actually better than the original. The solo on Smoke is awesome, new solo here and there.... It is WAY better than the Burn remaster, which really doesn't have much in terms of anything new, but the sound is a bit of an improvement. Go throw on the the original Warner Bros. Machine Head CD and then compare the 25th Anniversary, and then we'll talk.

Here's the setlist:

Poughkeepsie

Death Alley Driver
    I Surrender
    Blues Intro
    Can't Happen Here
    Stone Cold
    Power of Love
    Devi's Door
    Jacknife
    King of Dreams
    Jealous Lover
    Street of Dreams
    Spotlight Kid

Highway Star (Encores)
    Smoke on the Water

NJ show same setlist, except No Jealous Lover and the Encore went something like this:

We're an American Band
    Smoke on the Water (both included Eric Singer on Drums and Tony Harnell on vocals- well sort of).

Highway Star (Just the JLT Band)

Overall, the Poughkeepsie show seemed a little tighter, but both great shows. Joe's voice was SO powerful and he played a lot of rhythm guitar the whole night. Can't Happen with the Blues intro was awesome, a storming version of Jealous Lover and King of Dreams the 2nd night smoked!! The new stuff fit in nicely and the crowd enjoyed it too, which is a good sign. The other nice thing is that the JLT Band were all capable singers, which made for superb harmony vocals like on Can't Happen Here and other spots. Ace Frehley was in the audience at least the 1st night, probably both nights. Once the band gets some shows under their belt, it would be cool for Joe to do a DVD. Also, there is probably a Euro tour in the pipeline. Nothing confirmed yet, but keep your fingers crossed if you're on the other side of the pond!

I think both albums are great, HTP1 is a nod to the past and for the fans (very solid). I actually think HTP2 is one of the best things either two have done, a large portion of it is very modern rock, but with great melodies (unlike most younger modern rock bands).

While I agree with "Time and Again" being a rip off Mystery of the Heart, I also think the HTP ballads were far superior to any of JLT's ballads from his solo CDs (that is until Usual Suspects). I don't think JLT's heart was in the ballads, but the record company wanted at least one per record.

The unfortunate part about losing HTP is that nobody was doing what these guys were doing, Hard Rock with a twin lead vocal attack. I am looking forward to the Iommi stuff, but I'll take HTP over Iommi any day.

As for why they are no longer together, I think it's a combination of things and both of them are class guys. Maybe down the line, we'll get an HTP3... who knows.

I'll be at the Chance and NJ JLT shows this weekend, should be a blast.

Kelly Hansen who just sang for Foreigner last weekend is fronting Heaven & Earth and they will be opening for Blue Oyster Cult on Sat., March 19th. Show starts at 8 pm. sharp at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills, CA

The Canyon Club is a House of Blues-like dinner theater and one of my favorite venues in Southern California. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll e-mail you a flyer that will get you in for $10.

Frank
    FBeltran100@hotmail.com

Mark 3 Wrote:

I thought that both albums where great I but wonder were they could have gone with a third album, apart from more of the same. I agree with Glenn's comments that it was becoming a bit generic. I think that the sound was a little dated compared to SM.

I think the new sound/direction Glenn is going in is spot on and is moving away from the HTP style. Also I do not think it was bringing any new fans to Glenn.

I think HTP1 was highly derrivative on purpose. HTP2 was a whole other story, very modern rock in a lot of places and nobody is doing the dual vocal thing the way these guys were. I think Glenn's comment was perhaps a little self serving, but he's entitled to it.

Anybody know anything about the Made in Moscow project that these guys did?

I figured the HTP thing was done with Glenn working with Iommi and his solo career. This is a shame as I think HTP2 is one of the best things either of these guys have done in their career. I really liked HTP1, but loved HTP2.

Anybody know how to get a copy fo the Russian HTP project these guys recorded last fall?

This should be a very cool DVD. I have one of the Bulgaria shows and it's a blistering set of Brazen Abbot, Dio & JLT Era Rainbow, MK2 and MK3 Purple. A VERY long setlist. Plus a TV show appearance of Nik and JLT performing Stone Cold & Can't Let You Go with an enormous backing band.

There has to be a few thousand people at the show and you could tell from the atmosphere,.... well, let's just say, it's one of those shows I wished I saw in person.

My 2 Cents,

Frank B.

I love Against the Wall and agree with you John that it should have made the regular cut.

Keep on Shinning to me is very pedestrian and predictable to my ears. It is one of the least adventerous songs on HTP2. It may even be a song that was written in the Spotlight Kid mode for the HTP1 sessions that H & T have mentioned in interviews. It has the Spotlight beat, but to me, it lacks the subtlety and precison in the drumming and the overall feel. It has that "Heavy Metal" double bass drum too, which to me is way overdone. I'll take Ian Paice or John Bonham on one bass drum over the double bass drum anyday.

Actually, this was probably a great choice for the Jap. bonus track as the Japanese tend to love this straight ahead metal. This is why I thought "Ride the Storm" was one of the weakest cuts on HTP1, for the same reasons listed above. These guys do both songs well, but the style of the song and that Eurometal feel just don't do it for me.

On another note, as much as I loved HTP1, I think HTP2 blows it out of the water. It's way more adventerous, has a lot of modern rock sounds, along with great melodies, etc.... I still have it in regular rotation too.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one John.

My 2 Cents,

Frank

Frank B.

I saw both the LA & Vegas shows and both were superb, with the nod going to LA. The best I've seen DP since the Purpendicular tour and Gillan's voice was amazing. It was SO good the cocktail waitresses were stopping to watch the show. Unbelievable!

Frank B.

The other things is that the 3 CDs that she took up with her were Machine Head, _|_ (I think) and Rainbow's Down to Earth (which has Airey and Glover on it). Of the three, only Down to Earth wasn't broken. That is too strange!

Frank B.

As luck would have it our LA station only replays Rockline on Saturdays. I've attempted to listen to Rockline via the internet the last couple of years. I think it has something to do with broadcasting rights, but as soon as Rockline comes on, the Internet feed keeps playing music or commercials, but no Rockline. Does anybody have a good link to listen to the show online? Thanks.

Frank
    FBeltran100@hotmail.com

Frank B.