Posts by toadsterama

Dokken w/ Bonamassa would be a bizarre pairing :eek:

John, I was at that Deep Purple show for which Ohm was the opening act. Imagine my surprise when I realized that unassuming gentleman in the beanie and glasses, shredding all those great fusion tunes, was Chris Poland, original guitarist of Megadeth. That guy is amazing.

Going back to Bonamassa, out of selfish curiosity I'd love to hear Glenn and Joe record a version of Gary Moore's "Empty Rooms", since no tapes are known to exist of the demo Glenn recorded with Gary years ago :bouncer:

I kinda wish it was all original songs too. Although I suppose if there has to be a cover, at least it's something obscure to the average joe, and not a song like "Hush" or something.

Roger, you ever listen to any of the stuff Gary Moore recorded with Skid Row back when he was 16? Tasty...

Forever Young, you're so, so right.

I've been following Joe Bonamassa for a few years now, and got to see him perform when he came through town a year and a half ago. He is amazing. Truly. I have two of his live DVD's, all of his albums and even the Bloodline CD that came out years ago before he became a solo recording artist. It seems like each new Bonamassa CD is better than the last. The guy has got passion, soul and chops like nobody's business. Black Country may be touched by the blues, but it is not going to be a blues band. Just as Glenn will bring a bit of funk to the proceedings, but it will not be a funk band. I have every confidence that Black Country is going to be a piledriving, guitarnormous, rifftastic wall of sound with a touch of funk, a touch of blues and a whole lot of hard rock thunder. I'm picturing a mix of Deep Purple, Grand Funk and Led Zeppelin.

Have faith. Joe is not a snoozer like Clapton, or a Stevie Ray clone like Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's not painting with a limited palette of sounds and style. He's the greatest player to come along in recent memory, and he's gonna kick your collective arses :thumbup:

Just saw James Cameron's film 'Avatar' last night. Enjoyed it immensely. But Cameron needs to do the right thing, whip out that checkbook and compensate artist Roger Dean for blatantly borrowing the iconic imagery that has been central to Dean's work for decades. Although Dean's flying dragons, floating islands/mountains and stone arches feature prominently, there was not so much as a mention of Roger Dean in the credits as a conceptual artist, inspiration or creator of any of the images Cameron brought to life onscreen. Shameful :(

That's awesome news John...I can't imagine the high you're experiencing playing with those guys!

So let's see...you're playing with members of Soul SirkUS, Whitesnake, Blue Murder, Journey, Bad English, Montrose, Hardline, HSAS, The Tubes, Tommy Bolin's band and Jefferson Starship...all at once! :thumbup:

Cheers, and I hope this leads to some other opportunities for you, my friend.

Todd

Black Country makes me think of Big Country on the one hand, but it also makes me wonder what Glenn meant when he said the band name was appropriate for the group? I suppose they could call themselves Black Cloud, which would be kind of a reference to Glenn's days with Trapeze...but any turn of bad luck with the group would then be attributed to their name. LOL

As for the similar band name/album comments...forty years ago Gary Moore was in the band Skid Row, a power trio out of Ireland. The band recorded three albums which can still be found on CD without too much fuss. And then a decade and a half later comes this band featuring Sebastian Bach called Skid Row...

There was a Canadian death metal band called Slaughter which released a few albums well before anyone had ever heard of a hair band called Slaughter named after its helium-voiced singer Mark Slaughter...

Then there are similar band names like The Faces and the Small Faces...The Who and The Guess Who...Whitesnake, White Tiger and White Wolf...Iron Maiden and Iron Butterfly...Skeleton Witch, Axe Witch and White Witch...Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Blackfoot, Black Stone Cherry and Black Crowes...Def Lepp and Led Zepp...ok, you get the picture :lol: I can't even remember my point now!

This is going to be a great project! Can't wait to hear what they've come up with.

And for those complaining about how it's not a supergroup because they don't know Joe Bonamassa, realistically nobody in this band is a household name. They're known in certain circles, but beyond that not one of the members is currently widely known to the average joe like someone like Eddie Van Halen or Ted Nugent would be.

I'd be surprised if there was a second guitarist involved, and certainly not Jimmy Page. I could maybe see him doing a guest spot on a song or two, but nothing beyond that. My feeling is that the group may consist of Glenn, Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham and someone else. But I haven't got a clue.

Thanks for corroborating my post with photographic evidence, Chip! Way to back me up! :thumbup:

And to further the musical minutiae, there is a drummer named Frost who plays for the black metal band Satyricon.

Cheers...Todd

Found this posted on the forum at MelodicRock...

Joe Bonamassa is the guitarist. Checkout his Twitter page. No word on the drummer yet. Can't wait to hear what comes out of this - could be fantastic, and according to Joe it is going to rock

And this is one of Joe's latest tweets:

9:10pm Jan 1st from web

Supa groupa starts tomorrow.. Been writing all week. I am very excited to see a bunch of friends and crank up the super bass plexi

Glenn and Joe will be a powerhouse combo. I'm very anxious to find out who's filling in the rest of the group!

Cheers...Todd

Per Glenn's tweet today, Kevin SHirley is remixing the Come Taste the Band album. Hopefully its eventual release will be a remastered edition featuring both Shirley's new mix and Martin Birch's original mix. What a great album that is. Definitely a highlight to watch for in 2010!