Posts by toadsterama

Great interview! I've always admired Jon Lord. Not only is he an astounding musician, but he's well-spoken, gentle-natured and good-humored. A class act.

I don't know how many of the rest of you follow the branches of the Deep Purple family tree, but I have all of the stuff by Glenn, Whitesnake, Jon Lord, Blackmore's Night, Joe Lynn Turner, Tommy Bolin, Ian Gillan, Paice Ashton Lord, Nick Simper's Warhorse, Nick Simper's Fandango, Episode Six, Quatermass, Roger Glover, etc. I can't think of any other band whose members have offered so much great music of such diversity over the years. I'm just sayin'... :thumbup:

Just ordered the album yesterday...can't wait to hear it! As for a new version of the first Phenomena album, here's hoping it's nothing more than a remixing of the album for a fresher, crisper, less keyboard heavy sound. The album contains some of Glenn's finest vocal work to date :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My vote would be for all involved to continue their solo careers full-time, and maybe have them reconvene for another BCC album or two as time allows.

I'm kind of in the same boat as John. Aside from a few moments, the album as a whole just isn't grabbing me yet. I'm a GH completist, and lifelong fan. I have all of Bonamassa's albums, and think he's a breathtaking guitarist. But somehow the material they've come up with together isn't blowing me away like I was hoping it would. I'll give it some time, maybe it'll click.

So I'm working at the Boise airport yesterday, when all of a sudden who should walk by? JEFF KOLLMAN. What? In Boise?! Turns out he was playing a free outdoor show at the Grove downtown with contemporary jazz band Tizer, of which he is a longtime member. So my wife and I made plans to catch the show - which was outstanding - and we got to catch up with Jeff between sets. Just want to reiterate what an amazing talent Jeff is, and a helluva nice guy as well. It was a real treat to see him again, especially so unexpectedly in my hometown of Boise. Back when I lived in Vegas, I could see it happening, but it was surreal here...:eek:

Cheers....Todd

I have the DP box set which has several shows featuring Ronnie leading the band through solo stuff like Rainbow in the Dark. Way cool!

And yeah, you're right about the lack of a proper live album by Dio in the 80's. Wonder why there never was?

The most controversial thing about Glenn, from a casual fan perspective, might be his tendency to avoid categorization. I think most often he is associated with hard rock for obvious reasons, but he plays funky and he sings soulfully. I think some fans who love some of his material have a real hard time identifying with some of his other stuff. Someone might love the hardness of Fused, and be left completely cold by First Underground Nuclear Kitchen, for example.

He also pretty well leaves most of his peers in the dust when it comes to vocal prowess. His vocal acrobatics aren't everyone's cup of tea, however, and that may be a point of contention or controversy for some.

As for myself, there are certainly things Glenn has done which leave me cold, but the overwhelming majority of his stuff fills me with pleasure and amazement. His diversity is refreshing, his live performances are breathtaking, and his prolific nature means that there is always something new around the corner :thumbup:

Don't forget Dio put out a couple live videos in the 80's...one from the Philadelphia Spectrum on the Last In Line tour, and Sacred Heart Live as well.

There are a couple other cool Dio DVD's out too - Evil Or Divine (live on the Killing the Dragon tour, I believe), We Rock (which is actually two performances from the first and second solo tours) & Holy Diver Live (which should be self-explanatory). Not enough Dio for ya? Check out the Rainbow DVD recorded live in Munich in 1977 with Cozy Powell and Bob Daisley in the band - stellar! And of course the Deep Purple DVD recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall, where Dio performs a couple songs with the band.

If you want to see a different side of Ronnie, check out his performances of Sitting In A Dream and Love Is All, live at the Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and a full orchestra. Great stuff! :claphands

Happy Happy Joy Joy! That's Happy birthday to you, and thanks for the Joy you bring to me with your music.

Hope you have / had a great birthday that brought you all the things you want and none of the things you don't.

Cheers..Todd

:birthday::birthday3

Unfortunately a lot of fans tend to forget that their beloved classics were once brand new, unfamiliar songs too. And so they moan when they go see Rush or Iron Maiden or whomever and the band plays a lot of new material. If they don't bother to familiarize themselves with the new material, then of course the new songs will be unfamiliar. Duh.

And radio? Forget it. They do exactly as Chutsler said. For example: "Pat Travers has a smokin' new album, with some of his best songs in years. Be sure to check it out, and catch him when he's in town later this month...so with that in mind, here's "Boom Boom (Out go the Lights)." So much for the support.

:huh: :mad: :rolleyes: