Posts by toadsterama

Chris, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of BCC's acceptance among Glenn and Joe's respective fans. I don't appreciate BCC nearly as much as I do the majority of Glenn's solo work. And as a big Bonamassa fan, I feel like BCC ranks well below most of Joe's solo work. I enjoy BCC, but ultimately I feel like it diluted or diminished what I enjoyed most about each artist as an individual.

I also agree with Katy. If Glenn were to follow up the hard-rocking BCC albums with an album full of funk and soul, many potential converts to Glenn's solo music may be turned away by the radical shift in style.

I personally like most of what Glenn has recorded. I buy it all - the solo albums, the band projects, the guest sessions, the tributes, etc. I appreciate his willingness to take chances and incorporate different influences into what he does.

With regard to BCC satisfying Glenn's rock fans' appetite for hard-rocking music, I will agree to a certain extent. Personally, I don't find the BCC albums to be nearly as satisfying as Addiction, The Way It Is or Songs in the Key of Rock.

I'm open to whatever Glenn wants to try. I love Feel and Building the Machine. F.U.N.K., Soul Mover and Music for the Divine round out the bottom of my list of preferences for Glenn's solo music. His sessions with Monkey Business and Geoff Downes are among my favorite things Glenn has recorded. I can't stand Play Me Out, but in that case it's because of the vocal style - same reason I never spin Soulful Christmas, even at this time of year.

Rest assured that, whatever your tastes, Glenn's style of the moment will probably shift to something else by the time his next album comes out. The guy is so diverse, it's practically impossible for him to stay happy doing just one thing.

One of Glenn's contemporaries, Jeff Scott Soto, released one of his best albums ever just a couple years ago. It was full of his musical loves - pop, soul and funk, all with a rock edge. It was creatively fulfilling, the songs were outstanding he was at the top of his game. It was also his worst selling solo album to date. Sometimes following your heart doesn't pay the bills. So I'm sure his next album will find a happy medium - he'll do what he enjoys in a way which will satisfy fan expectations, and weave those other influences into them in the process. Much like Glenn.

Going back to Glenn, I wish he'd properly record some of the material he wrote for the aborted Shape 68 project.

Carlos Cavazo's brother Tony played bass on a track or two on the 'Metal Health' album, if I'm not mistaken.

And interestingly, while Carlos Cavazo and Rudy Sarzo were in Quiet Riot their brothers Tony Cavazo and Robert Sarzo were in the band Hurricane together - on opposite instruments than their brothers. Both of those guys have long been absent from Hurricane. Tony apparently had a recurring role in HBO's 'Deadwood' for some time. But there is apparently a brand new Hurricane album featuring both of them back in the fold.

I've always been a fan of Quiet Riot. I saw them a few times in various incarnations, I have all the albums and I still listen to them to this day. Their name is synonymous with the 80's, but of course they lasted well beyond that and their music took on a more serious tone and harder edge in the 90's and 2000's. They will always evoke an image of a good-time, hard-rocking, talented, underappreciated band. They didn't sing songs. They played anthems. Some like "Party All Night" were pure cheese, some like "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)" were pure power. When those choruses kicked in, they all made me feel great. I think I'll go spin some Quiet Riot now... :thumbup:

I never got to see Purple with Blackmore. My first time seeing them was on the 'Purpendicular' tour, and I've seen them about half-dozen times since. I have seen Blackmore twice, though - once on the Rainbow 'Stranger in Us All' tour and another with Blackmore's Night.

I've almost never passed up an opportunity to see someone from the Deep Purple family tree. I saw Gillan and friends at the Royal Albert Hall in 2006, and twice again on his US solo tour a couple years ago. I've seen Glenn Hughes about 25 times, Whitesnake maybe 5, Graham Bonnet twice, Joe Lynn Turner twice and Dio 5 times. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Hughes, Coverdale, Gillan, Dio, Morse, Don Airey, Roger Glover, Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner, John O' Reilly and Bobby Rondinelli of Rainbow. I've conducted interviews with half of them, as well as Bob Daisley and Tony Carey of Rainbow, Bernie Torme of Gillan...

So much great music, all related somehow by just a degree or two of separation!

Unfortunate, but not unexpected. As for the "club 27", it's not as strange as if they had died on the same day of the month or all by unexplained circumstances. They all had issues, just like tens of thousands of average Joe's around the world. They just happened to be famous. Anyway, RIP Amy Winehouse.

My wife and I went to see the UK rock band THUNDER last night in Sun Valley. They've just completed a charity motorcycle ride from Canada down into the States, and the show was added as a special occasion. Luke Morley and Chris Childs' band The Union opened. It was an amazing show - the band looked and sounded fantastic, and they rocked the small but mighty crowd as if they were in front of a huge festival crowd.

After the show at the meet and greet, I happened to be standing near someone who mentioned Glenn Hughes, and I picked up on the fact that he was talking about drummer Tomas Broman having toured with Glenn. This person glanced over to me and said "I know you." "You do?" I replied. And he says "You're Todd, right?" I was dumbfounded. It was Chuck, a longtime GHCP with whom I've crossed paths at various Glenn Hughes shows at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando, the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake and the Soulfully Live DVD shoot in Los Angeles. And now here he was at a Thunder gig in Sun Valley, Idaho! It was great getting caught up with Chuck, who travelled all the way from New Orleans to see the show. He's a great guy, and obviously a huge fan of great music. Running into him capped off a wonderful evening :thumbup:

I hope they continue as well, although I'd prefer they continued with a different producer. With each album he produces, I have to give it a spin or two to accustom my ears to the sound. I feel like I'm listening to the albums through a pillow :confused:

I'd love to see them in a huge venue. I've seen them in front of maybe 5-6,000 on their triple bill with Scorpions and Dio a few years back. But most of the time I've seen them in places like House of Blues or venues which accomodate maybe 1,000-1,500. On the one hand it's great because you're up close and personal to see such a great band. But on the other hand there are countless acts who are flavors of the month playing the enormo-dome down the street, and that's a slap in the face :mad:

I'm envious of the great show you got to see Christian! I may have to try and get my hands on that CD, digipak be damned :mad:

Jon Lord never ceases to amaze me. The guy is so incredibly talented.

I picked up the new DVD yesterday, and sat down to watch it this afternoon. Halfway through it, I decided that the title is not really accurate. It should be called something like Phoenix Rising: The Resurrection & Fall of Deep Purple, Mk III & IV. The focus of the documentary is split between Mk III and Mk IV, beginning just prior to the demise of Mk II, which featured Ian Gillan and Roger Glover.

The interview segments with Jon Lord and Glenn Hughes are quite candid, and they're interspersed between some compelling archival footage both familiar and unfamiliar to this viewer. One thing I noticed about Glenn's interviews is that he comes across with a genuine humility which often takes a backseat in promotional interviews for BCC or solo projects. Glenn comes across here as a real guy, not a rock star. Jon Lord makes some interesting assertions about his dwindling faith in the band starting around the time of Stormbringer, even going so far as to suggest that he should have left the band when Ritchie Blackmore did. I wish Ian Paice had been involved in the documentary in some way, as he and Jon Lord were together in Paice-Ashton-Lord and Whitesnake. Even though Paice has remained active in the reunited Gillan lineup of Purple, surely he could have spoken for a few minutes on-camera about that earlier era of the band. Same with Coverdale - even though he prefers to look forward rather than dwell on the past, it might have behooved him to contribute at least a brief statement to represent his thoughts on the band he was such an integral part of. Instead, the only acknowledgment of Coverdale's position is the disclaimer that the opinions expressed by Hughes and Lord do not reflect those of Coverdale.

In the end it's a fascinating documentary, not without its flaws, but frankly part of me is pleasantly surprised it was given a release at all. There are some nice bonus features and two fairly lengthy booklets included. Well worth the purchase price, if you ask me.

And although Glenn is someone who prefers to always look forward to the next thing, I'm very appreciative that he pauses now and again to acknowledge his past - whether with remasters of Stormbringer, Come Taste the Band or this documentary - and share with the rest of us his insights into an era so integral to who he is as an artist today.

Thanks for posting that - I had no idea! I wish the camera man had posted the set by opening band Ernie & the Automatics. The band features Barry Goudreau & Sib Hashian of Boston, and they did a Boston medley which had the place on its feet!

My wife and I just caught Deep Purple in Las Vegas, one of only a dozen or so US dates the band is doing on their current tour. It had been four or five years since I last saw them, so I was excited to see them again. They're one of those bands for whom, as the years go by, chances to see them are fewer and further between. There will come a day soon when Deep Purple will call it a day. The same can be said for Whitesnake, Priest, Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult, Bruce Springsteen, Ozzy and countless other bands. Will Glenn still be recording and touring in ten years? It's not unheard of. Look at guys like Ian Hunter and John Mayall - 72 and 78 years old, respectively! :eek::claphands

Anyway, back to Deep Purple. The band put on a great 1hr. 50 min. set, mostly a mix of classic material, along with nods to the current era with "The Well Dressed Guitar" and "Rapture of the Deep". I would like to have heard a few more current tunes, but this is the United States. Classic rock radio tends to announce that a band has a great new album out, then play something from the old catalog :mad: And US audiences seem to forget that their favorite songs were once new, unfamiliar tunes as well :confused:

Purple looked great, sounded great and there was a nice turnout at the Pearl theater inside the Palms resort. Here's hoping they return to the studio soon to lay down a new collection of songs!

A couple initial thoughts...

Upon first listen BCC 2 is more accessible than the first album. I'm glad to hear Derek Sherinian is much more prominent in the mix than on the first album.

Something about Kevin Shirley's production still rubs me the wrong way. I find myself wishing someone like Andy Johns had recorded and produced the album.

I love how the new album artwork complements the artwork of the debut.

Great tunes. I love "The Battle for Hadrian's Wall" and "Smokestack Woman".

I wish I'd been able to catch the date a couple hours south of here in SLC. The timing was awkward for me though, because it was sandwiched between two other trips I had planned. When it rains it pours..