Posts by James Gaden

Personally I think it's a very solid line up. I don't know who other people were expecting or hoping for, but its an extremely capable band, boasting a rock solid rythmn section and two very talented six stringers, but with the spotlight landing quite firmly on David. I just hope he's still able to swing a mike and do his "Tarzan impression" as he calls it.

JG

I too had reservations about David live. He does howl when he tries too sing his 87/Slip Of The Tongue stuff, and the new line up does suggest that would be the kind of material he'll be hammering out. However, the man himself has said on his board he wasn't happy with his live performances on the Restless Heart tour and he was ill for most of it (I saw him on this tour and I must say he was still pretty good) and he has quit the cigs and is very positive about his voice now. I hope he proves to everybody he still has it....in his day he was awesome and he's been locked away for too long. I don't think comparing him the Glenn does him any favours though. Glenn's always had the better range and the sheer power.

JG

Maz,

I'm blown away that somebody in the States has Bowes/Morley! It's all I can do to find somebody in the UK who has it! I didn't buy Luke's solo album because I think his voice is that of a backing singer....I'm not impressed with his lead work. Excellent songwriter however.
    I thought Thunder were great though....I got to meet them when they played at my home town, got loads of stuff signed and saw them twice more after that. Rumour has it the new album will be a balls to the wall rocker...here's hoping!

JG

A fairly quiet year, no doubt. However, there were still some gems in the form of:

Bowes / Morley - Moving Swiftly Along (most of you non-UK guys will be totally ignorant of these two)
    Paul Gilbert - Burning Organ
    Eric Martin - I'm Goin' Sane (here's one album that did anything but disappoint)

That said, I got stacks of great albums this year, but they dated from all over the place. It wasn't until I actually looked what brand new stuff I bought I realised how little new stuff without Glenn I'd purchased!

JG

I like the idea to be honest, but I don't think it's a realistic option. Shania Twain has massive record company backing and can probably get away with two albums for the price of one, but I don't think Glenn would be extended the same courtesy.
    Perhaps an idea to keep a similar principle would be to do an approach much like The Who and Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes did.....record a bunch of live tracks and put them out via the website. Fans would log on and buy the songs they wanted from the set if they didn't like the whole show, that CD was burned and dispatched. So if Glenn did a 16 song set, he could do half rock and half funk. The rockers could order just the Purple stuff, "Gone", "You Kill Me" etc, the funkmeisters get their vibe. Personally, I'd get the whole show, but everybody has a choice rather than the age old "Start rocking Glenn!" versus "Bring back da funk!"

JG

It was kinda weird having an earthquake over here, but the national news hasn't made a big deal of it. I don't live anywhere near Dudley, but I'm sure the venue will be okay. We take bigger beatings from gale force winds and floods so us Brits are pretty resiliant!

JG

What is Shape 68? I gather it's another avenue for Glenn to pursue, but where did it come from? There is no news of it anywhere as far as I'm aware until I saw it today on the homepage. Nothing on the official site, or am I looking in the wrong place?

JG

I've ordered my copy of Alchemist simply for Glenn being on it. As for no name on the sleeve, I don't think it's too bad. After all, many times in interviews Glenn has said he may relase non rock stuff under an alias so as not to confuse the more blinkered fans of his out there. One of my favourite Glenn works, "Four On the Floor" again omitted his name (I believe at his request) because he ws unhappy about how the album was released and the record company again slapped a "Featuring a Deep Purple member" sticker on it to generate interest in an otherwise obscure release.
    At the end of the day (again I'm speaking without hearing it) the fans of Glenn's music know he'a on there, will buy it and enjoy it, and the ones who simply want another ROCK won't give it the time of day. Lets face it, would we want them to?

JG

I too got my copy this morning and it ROCKS! I was thrilled to hear Can't stop The Flood live, and I thought it sounded miles better than the album version.
    I think JLT and Glenn work superbly together, and nicely compliment each other when the other is singing lead, best illustrated on Stormbringer, I Surrender and King Of Dreams. It was nice to hear that done live properly, not like the awful Purple version on the Slaves and Masters tour.
    I always thought Dark Days would work well live, and it does. In my opinion the amount of Purple material on the disk is just right. My only criticism would be maybe altering the track listing so that an HTP song finished the disk rather than three Joe tracks. Aside from that, brilliant.

JG

I think this would be a great way for Purple to sign off when they decide to call it a day. See how the new album fares (when it eventualy comes out) and if they think enough is enough what better way to end the legacy than this?
    David Coverdale has already stated on his board that if Ritchie is interested, then he will do it. Fingers crossed....

JG

Hey buddy,

I've pre ordered the Jap version from Buchanneer and they assure me it will be shipped as soon as they get them in (21st August i think). I've already got "Against the Wall" because I bought the Jap version of HTP, so bring it on!!!!

Counting the days...

JG

I love Kelly and I think he's got a great voice. He is a singer with his own identity, but he is also blessed (cursed?) with the ability to alter his voice. I have a great version of him doing Speed King and he doesn't try and imitate any Purple singer, he just delivers a quality vocal.
    I have all the Baton Rouge albums and I recently got this one, but haven't really sat down and listened to it yet.

JG

Good point Shirean, but you must admit it's quite a good comparison on that particular shot...

Have you heard/got Ann doing Kashmir with Roger Daltery from The British Rock Symphony CD? If not, I'd be happy to mp3 it for you...it's excellent.

JG

Hey David....

I'd like to see Highway Star, Stormbringer and maybe Burn dropped, but I think Dark Days is a good live track. As a massive fan of JLT's solo stuff, I'd like to see him throw in almost anything from "Hurry Up and Wait" or "Baby's Got A Habit" from "Nothing's Changed". It would be nice to see more solo tracks from both lads, but we have to accept some Purple material is obligatory. With that in mind, why not pull some rare or never before played live tracks out? I'd love Joe to take a shot at "Coming Home" from "Come Taste..." or Glenn to try "Never Before". Also, throw in "Lady Double Dealer" because Glenn's version on "Burning Japan" is excellent and Joe's on "Undercover 2" rocks!!!!

JG

I love Paul Gilbert. I have all his solo albums and I'm a massive Mr Big fan. I can see why he liked "You Can't Stop Rock And Roll"...his new CD "Burning Organ" features a song called "I Like Rock" and Paul has overdubbed 100 guitars on it! He's class!

JG