Posts by HWright

This is great news. I've already purchased "Incense and Peaches" on iTunes (I was never able to find a physical copy either) and have been listening to it all the time since then. Great stuff. A lot of it reminds me of the "Feel" album which I like a lot.

Keith,

It's true that what one sees in London is in many respects typical of the state of the industry at large.

As for Glenn, in commenting on what was available in London I am aware of how hard it is for an artist to promote himself/herself and keep his/her head above water in such a climate where space is so limited. So Kudos to Glenn for having that many CDs in the London HMV. I wish I lived in a city where you could just go into a store and buy Glenn's latest releases off the shelf.

In Washington, DC where I live, many of the music stores have closed down and the big retailers that remain have reduced their stock and floor space dedicated to CDs (and I have observed a similar trend in NYC). Does this spell the end? To a certain extent, since these trends have a tendency of become self-fufilling prophecies (if there is no where to buy something, no one buys it, then the companies stop making it/marketing it/selling it since they think no one wants it, etc).

But maybe things will turn around. I sure hope so. In a way it depends on what younger people do. I'm about forty myself and don't really have my finger on the pulse or anything, but one hears about a revival of vinyl among some in the under 25 set (especially among college students), but I don't know how significant that demographic is. One also reads that many younger people mostly have MP3 files, don't like to have anything other than the files and often don't even want to pay for them at all. Probably a certain percent still have CDs and don't even have computers, much less MP3 players or smart phones.

As for me, I would hope that CDs, LPs, etc, don't disappear since I too prefer to have the physical object, see the art-work and so forth (not to mention a back-up for filing purposes). Your book analogy is relevant, although there are some disturbing trends in that area of late too, I believe...

I just took a vacation in the UK and I was curious while over there to see how available Glenn's various releases are, especially compared to what one can or can't get in the US.

In Salisbury I could not find any Glenn CDs at all. Not suprising since it's a pretty small city. (Note: Washington, DC where I live does not have any Glenn Hughes CDs either, as far as I know. Everything I have I bought on-line).

However, I am happy to report that in London, at the HMV on Oxford Street, I saw the following titles:

- "F.U.N.K." (the new album)
    -"Live in Australia" (two editions: UK edition with just music, German edition with music and DVD)
    - "This Time Around" (two disc best of)
    - Two-fer of "Building the Machine" and "The Way It is."

As for Trapeze, they had "Trapeze" (the album by the larger version of the group) and "Medusa," as I recall.

It should also be noted that the Deep Purple section in the same store was quite substantial and they had several copies of the new edition of "Stormbringer" with the Glenn remixes.

In Glenn's 2000 interview with Troy Wells, Glenn refers several times to a new song called "Cry" that he was very high on. It doesn't seem to be on his next album "Building the Machine" (2001). What happened to that song? Was it retitled and I know it under another name or is it now part of Glenn's growing archives?

Yeah, "Coffee and Vanila" that's a great one. It was the track that caught my attention the first time I heard the album.

I love the way the chorus is sung, either Glenn multi-tracked or Glenn with back-up singers:

"And we don't look for trouble
    Can we break it down,
    As we sit at the table?
    And we don't burst that bubble
    And we come around.
    Are you ready and able?
    Like coffee & vanilla

Now that I think of it, there's also a bit of Prince in some of the playing on "Feel."

I've been listening to "Feel" a lot lately. Something about it has finally clicked and I'm enjoying it more now than in the past. While the influence of Stevie Wonder on Glenn is well known (the album ends with a Stevie cover), on "Feel" I'm also hearing a less obvious influence: Michael McDonald, especially his Doobie Brothers albums.

Perhaps I'm just imagining things, but "Livin' for the Minute" seems to be sly tribute/reference to McDonald's Doobie Brothers song "Minute by Minute" (the title track of an album of the same name). "She Loves Your Money" also reminds me a lot of McDonald.

To me "Feel" ranks with "Play Me Out" and "F.U.N.K." as one of Glenn's funkiest most soulful recordings.

I managed to order a copy of this from CD Universe (I only learned it existed from this Board) and have been listening to it now for a few weeks. On the whole I would say that this is the best version of this album on CD yet. Certainly it improves on the old European EMI edition I used to have and on the more recent USA Friday Music edition which I also have. (I never heard any of the Japanese versions). The sound is improved, the liner notes are great and the Glenn Hughes remixed versions are amazing and reveal new and interesting things about the sessions and the playing on them.

Listening to "Stormbringer" again I am reminded of how great Richie Blackmore was (even when he wasn't fully invested in all the material as was apparently the case here), what a great team Glenn and David Coverdale were and what fine players Lord and Paice were.

I would love to see an anniversary version of "Come Taste the Band" in a few years too.

I should have also mentioned the drums! Chad Smith does amazing work with Glenn on "F.U.N.K." By the way, when I was talking about there being less guitar on "F.U.N.K." I should have been more precise and said less lead guitar or guitar solos than on some of Glenn's other recent albums. There is plenty of guitar playing on the album, but it is often rhythm guitar, funky scratch guitar.

I loved this album the moment I heard it but it took me a while to put my finger on why I like it so much. Aside from the great singing, the main thing I've noticed is that the bass and keyboards are frequently the main instruments, more so than perhaps on anything Glenn has done in quite a while. There are guitar parts, but "F.U.N.K." is not really a guitar album in the way that the other more recent GH albums are. Not only does this seem to inspire in Glenn a different kind of performance, but it also allows for more subtle coloring from the guitars, horns and other backing instruments. The rhythm is allowed to dominate, which after all is what funk is all about, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks!

Other than "Play Me Out," the two Glenn-related reissues I would most like to see (since I don't have them) are: "Welcome to the Real World - Live 1992" by Trapeze featuring GH and "Peaches & Incense" by GH, both of which seem to be pretty rare (and pricey!) at the moment.

Hi folks, I joined last week but have been looking at the site for a few months.

I'm a big fan of Trapeze, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. My favorite GH albums are "R.O.C.K." and "F.U.N.K."

I just got a copy of "Sweet Revenge" by Robin George and Glenn. (I know it came out in 2008, but I only found out about it last month!)

I've never seen Glenn live, but hope to some day.

I have just about all the Glenn albums and projects, but don't have "Play Me Out" which is going for over $100 US online.

Henry.