Glenn Hughes : LIVE in Zoetermeer, The Netherlands : Burn and Classic Deep Purple Tour

• Last Wednesday I went to the Glenn show, plays Burn and Classic Deep Purple, in The Boerderij Zoetermeer (near The Hague). First of two sold out shows in The Netherlands.

Great, well known setlist of Mk III and Mk IV songs. Starting with Stormbringer, good sound, Glenn somewhat low in the mix. Second song Might Just Take Your Live, one of the celebrated Burn album. Great version, feauturing Bob Fritzema (from The Netherlands) on hammond organ. The keys were good upfront in the mix and this guy (Billy Preston fan, as he told me) can play very well. Glenn told during the concert that Bob did a study on Jon Lord’s playing at his music school.

Third song, for me one of the highlights of the show, was Sail Away, great bass playing by Glenn, very funky and with a lot of feel. By this time, his voice was more up in the mix.

After these first three songs the band played also some longer songs with lot of improvisation, like Deep Purple did in the time of Made In Europe. In You Fool No One, there was some High Ball Shooter and a sensational long drum solo by Ash Sheehan. Most of the time I don’t like (long) drum solos a rock concerts, but this one was different. Ash is excellent, very creative and powelfull, some tricks inspired by his idol Buddy Rich and influences by Ian Paice and John Bonham. One of the best drummers Glenn ever worked with and this drumsolo was a highpoint in this show.

You Keep On Moving was the best song of the concert. This version was very close to the one on Last Concert In Japan. Guitarwork by Soren Anderson sounded a lot like Tommy Bolin on this. A great tribute to Tommy by Soren Anderson.

Mistreated and Getting Tighter were also with long improvisations. Getting Tighter was the better one for me. Very funky and powerfull.

The last song was Burn and then we went outside again into the Dutch rain.

Very great show: Thanks a lot to Glenn, Jimi (manager) and the band :)

I was standing in front, very near to Glenn and made some photo’s. I post one of them by this review.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!