Classic Deep Purple Live in Australia & New Zealand 2017

• For the first time in 40 years Australia and New Zealand fans will witness Glenn HughesThe Voice of Rock and one of the finest musicians of his generation fronting a mighty handpicked band, as he revisits some of Deep Purple’s all-time greatest songs.

I’m seriously excited to get out there and play in Australia and New Zealand, and with my band, I know this will be a really incredible show.

Glenn Hughes played his last concert with Deep Purple on March 15, 1976, at Liverpool’s Empire Theatre. On that night, the UK bassist and vocalist walked away from one of history’s truly game-changing rock phenomena and never looked back – until now – GET READY!

September

20thState Theatre – Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    24thPerth Concert Hall – Perth, AUSTRALIA
    26thHorncastle Arena – Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND
    27thMichael Fowler Centre – Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
    29thHamer Hall – Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    30thCaloundra Music Festival – Kings Beach, Queensland, AUSTRALIA

October

1stQPAC Concert Hall – Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
    3rdASB Theatre, Aotea Centre – Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

More info. @ https://www.classicdeeppurplelive.com

THE BAND

Glenn Hughes (vocals/bass)

Deep Purple took a quantum leap when 20-year-old Glenn Hughes was seconded from British funk-rock outfit Trapeze in 1973. As bassist and co-vocalist (with David Coverdale), he helped steer the rock institution in the progressive direction of Burn and Stormbringer while touring the world for three years. His solo debut of ’77, Play Me Out, preceded albums with Black Sabbath and Gary Moore. The last 25 years have seen a rush of solo work and collaborations for the ‘Voice of Rock’ including Black Country Communion with Joe Bonamassa and Jason Bonham, and high impact with the Music of Cream tour and his 2016 album, Resonate. Glenn was inducted into the Rock’n’ Roll Hall of Fame last year along with other Deep Purple members.

Jeff Kollman (guitars)

The hallowed name of guitar god Jeff Kollman has graced too many greatest player polls to count these last 30 years. The Ohio punk turned jazz-prog virtuoso has run rings around the world since his ’90s metal band Edwin Dare gave way to prog heroes Cosmosquad and a gun-slinging resume that spans Sebastian Bach to Alan Parsons; Chad Smith’s Bombastic Meatbats to UFO spin-off Mogg/Way. A classic guitarist’s guitarists, Jeff takes high praise from the likes of Steve Lukather in his estimable stride. On stage and record, he’s been a recurring foil for Glenn Hughes since the Songs In the Key of Rock LP of 2003.

Lachy Doley (keys)

Some call him the Jimi Hendrix of the Hammond organ. Glenn Hughes calls him “the greatest living keyboard player in the world.” Australian soul monster Lachy Doley is a killer showman too, pumping and pounding the most astonishing sounds from the classic B3 Hammond and his uber-rare Hohner D6 Whammy Clavinet. Lachy’s version of Bill Withers’ “Use Me” has clocked millions of YouTube hits and his latest album, Lovelight, has torched blues charts from Australia to the UK. Sideman to Powderfinger, Steve Vai, Jimmy Barnes and Joe Bonamassa, the world-touring keys prodigy cemented his place in Glenn’s band during sessions in Copenhagen for the Resonate LP.

Pontus Engborg (drums)

Hard-hitting funk-rock drummer Pontus Engborg barrelled out of Sweden to hit the LA session scene barely out of his teens in 2000. A fast and furious apprenticeship from the Viper Room to the Whiskey and the Knitting Factory would lead to stints with Joe Lynn Turner, Graham Bonnet, Toto’s Bobby Kimball and Journey’s Steve Augeri. Back in Sweden, he’s been the man behind the supremely versatile Confusion since 2007. It was there that he came to the attention of Glenn Hughes in 2010, and made his debut behind the Voice of Rock in Serbia that July, sans rehearsal or soundcheck, in front of 21,000 people. Seven years later, it’s fair to say he passed the audition.

Glenn Hughes - Classic Deep Purple Live
  • "Jeff Kollman hits the road with Glenn Hughes"

http://bravewords.com/news/guitarist…ng-skin-reissue

Stoked that Jeff is back with Glenn :claphands hopefully this tour will hit the US as well. Never understood why they stopped working together because they have definite chemistry. Jeff is an amazing guitarist/songwriter and extremely versatile - Glenn could thrown anything at him and he'll do it justice.

• "Jeff Kollman hits the road with Glenn Hughes"

http://bravewords.com/news/guitarist…ng-skin-reissue

Burn, Might Just TYL,What's Goin' On Here,You Fool No One,Sail Away,Mistreated,Stormbringer (MK4 funk interlude version please)
    Lady Double Dealer,The Gypsy,Highball Shooter,Dealer,You Keep On Movin', This Time Around/Owed To G'.
    I hope Jimmy Barnes guests to add some harmony vocals where appropriate and feature on Lead Vocals for 'Drifter''Lady Luck' & 'Love Child'.
    I could live without the MK2 stuff but a funked up 'Maybe I'm A Leo' would be cool.

• I could live without the MK2 stuff but a funked up 'Maybe I'm A Leo' would be cool.

I don't think that Glenn will do any MK2 stuff. Recently he talked to the Australian Rolling Stone.

...honouring the songs that I made with Deep Purple.

https://rollingstoneaus.com/music/post/glenn-hughes-re-lives-his-purple-patch/6939

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• This is sure to be a signature tour, and not likely one that we'll see again.

I mean, a full on tour of MKIII and MKIV Purple material from Glenn?!?

One hopes this will be filmed or at least recorded and released for posterity's sake...

Guess we'll see...

• This is sure to be a signature tour, and not likely one that we'll see again.

Guess we'll see...

As Glenn told the Sunday Express recently, he will be touring "with a very famous guitarist" next year. Of course this is all still very much shhh-shhh.

Maybe you could ask one Mr. Blackmore what his plans for 2018 are... ;)

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/…bum-Dark-Purple

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• From New Zealand Herald:

Deep Purple star Glenn Hughes has reportedly been taken off stage by paramedics in Christchurch tonight. Concert attendee Graeme Pillidge said the vocalist was about an hour into his set at Horncastle Arena when he could no longer stand up.

He told NewstalkZB that Hughes had complained about having a cold throughout the performance. ZB has contacted the concert's promoter for comment.

Has anyone heard anything on this?!?! I hope he is OK!

• Yep, NZ media are reporting on this, but he seems to be OK:

Former Deep Purple bassist Glenn Hughes will be assessed by doctors in Christchurch this morning after being forced to cut short the opening night of his New Zealand tour due to what witnesses called "some sort of a medical event".

Hughes was an hour and 45 minutes into a scheduled two-hour show at Horncastle Arena on Tuesday night when he had to leave the stage.

His tour publicist, Sandra Roberts, said she had spoken to promoter Simone Williams of promoters Liberty Stage who described Hughes as "comfortable and resting" and receiving treatment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/…vent--witnesses

• Pontus reports on instagram that Glenn is taking this show "worldwide". Is that true and if so when and where?? Would love to see it!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!