Cherry Red Acquires Glenn Hughes Back Catalogue

• avatars-000047009464-tmko4s-t500x500.jpg

Some of Glenn Hughes back catalogue is now in the hands of Cherry Red and a re-issue campaign will commence in 2017.

Glenn comments:

I'm glad to know that my records will be available through Cherry Red. I'm honoured to have been given a life dedicated to music; it has saved me and made me a better man. My work is written about the human condition... you will find yourself in my songs. Music is the healer.

The renowned bassist/frontman is of course best known for his work with Deep Purple and funk rock pioneers Trapeze, not to mention briefly fronting Black Sabbath in the mid-1980s and now he has signed a deal to reissue his solo catalogue in 2017, the campaign details can be released.

It includes the albums 'Play Me Out' (1977), 'Feel' (1995), 'Addiction' (1996), 'The Way It Is' (1999), 'The Return To Crystal Karma' (2000), 'Building The Machine' (2001) and 'Songs In The Key Of Rock' (2003). The albums will be re-issued with bonus live and studio material, and all releases are approved by Glenn, who will be contributing notes to each.

• The first of the Cherry Red remasters, 'Play Me Out' is set for release on May 19th, 2017.

Expanded reissue of the 1977 album ‘Play Me Out’ by ‘The Voice Of Rock’ GLENN HUGHES. The album is now augmented with a second disc of bonus tracks, these include ‘Smile’, ‘Getting Near To You’ and ‘Fools Condition’ from 1978, originally recorded for the follow up to “Play Me Out”, and ‘Take Me With You’ and ‘She Knows’, recorded by Glenn in 1994.

The expanded booklet features liner notes by Classic Rock magazine’s Malcolm Dome based on new interviews with Glenn.

More info. @ https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/play-m…panded-edition/

• I wonder if Trapeze is going to be part of this reissue process. That is certainly overdue!

No, just the solo releases mentioned above, Cherry Red already had Trapeze in their roster, but don't believe they're remastered.

'Feel' and 'Addiction' are up next as far as his solo albums in this new series of releases :thumbup:

• It will be also nice to finally have Four On The Floor officially on CD :)

:bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:

T :)

They have already been released on CD with Play Me out - check out the Connoisseur Collection release.

The other tracks have also been released on the RPM release of Play Me Out in 1995

So no "new" tracks as such.

Hopefully Glenn can dig out some unreleased stuff for the other reissues.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• I agree that the '94 demos don't quite fit in but where else is Glenn going to re-release those two cuts? More songs from the follow up session of '78 would have sat better. Especially if they were of the standard of 'Fools Condition' & 'Getting Near To You' then I would be delighted. Glenn once referred to 'Four On The Floor' as ''Fall on the Floor''. Trapeze's brief '76 US Tour featured 'LA Cut Off' and another tune from the Play Me Out, so if a decent audio could be found from that then that would be welcome addition to the bonus tracks?

• Next up for release are Feel and Addiction with a few bonus tracks :thumbup:

Both set for release on June 30th, 2017.

"Feel"

Pre-Order NOW! https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/feel-2…panded-edition/

Disc One:

1. Big Time
    2. Livin’ For The Minute
    3. Does It Mean That Much To You?
    4. Save Me Tonight (I’ll Be Waiting)
    5. Redline
    6. Coffee & Vanilla
    7. Push!
    8. She Loves Your Money
    9. Speak Your Mind
    10. Talkin’ To Messiah
    11. Maybe Your Baby

Bonus Track:
    12. Holy Man

Disc Two:

Live Carola Holland 20/10/1994

1. Introduction
    2. From Now On
    3. Interview
    4. Lay My Body Down
    Unplugged In Stockholm 07/28/1993:
    5. So Much Love To Give
    Unplugged In Japan 02/26/1994
    6. From Now On…
    7. You Keep On Moving
    8. Lay My Body Down
    Schuüttdorf Open Air 07/02/1994
    9. Burn
    10. Liar
    11. Muscle And Blood
    12. Lay My Body Down
    13. Into The Void
    14. Gettin’ Tighter
    15. Stormbringer

"Addiction"

Pre-Order NOW! https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/addict…panded-edition/

Disc One:

1. Death Of Me
    2. Down
    3. Addiction
    4. Madelaine
    5. Talk About It
    6. I’m Not Your Slave
    7. Cover Me
    8. Blue Jade
    9. Justified Man
    10. I Don’t Want To Live That Way Again

Bonus Tracks (LIVE):
    11. Way Back To The Bone
    12. Touch My Life
    13. You Fool No One

Disc TwoLive In Holland 07/14/1995:

1. Stormbringer
    2. The Liar
    3. You Fool No One
    4. Muscle & Blood
    5. Push
    6. This Time Around
    7. Coast To Coast
    8. You’re The Music
    9. Your Love Is Alright
    10. Gettin’ Tighter
    11. Vocal Intro
    12. You Keep On Moving
    13. Burn

• Well, that's not entirely true...

Much of the bonus live material from both of these editions has never been made officially available before, even if all of it has been floating around the bootleg circuit for quite awhile.

The "Live in Holland" recording alone was a good soundboard bootleg as I recall, but this might be better in that it would have been officially sourced from Glenn's own collection and then properly mastered for this release I would presume...

• Hmmm... Addiction's bonus live should have been from 1996 tour. It had an awesome setlist. Liked the heaviness of that line-up too.

...just my thoughts. Not running to buy these...

:bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:
    T :)

• What they really should do is release all of Glenn's sessions in a nice multi-disc box set or something. He created a lot of quality session material over the years and chasing it individually is a very expensive and time consuming proposition. And yes, I am aware of the bootlegs called "The Session Man". The audio quality of those remains to be desired. Plus, I have a personal dislike to boots in general...

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!