Building The Machine PR

• For Immediate Release:

August 18th, 2001

SINGER GLENN HUGHES TOUCHES UPON BRITISH ROCK ROOTS ON NEW ALBUM,
    “BUILDING THE MACHINE�

LOS ANGELES - Singer Glenn Hughes is revisiting his roots in British rock with his latest album, “Building the Machine�, set for release September 25 through SPV Records.

“I felt compelled to revisit where I came from,� said Hughes, the former singer and bassist for Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Trapeze. “I wanted to have the album sound as real as I could as far as a real Hammond organ, Stratocaster guitar, real, live acoustic drums, and not much in the effects department.�

With hard rockers and funky edges, “Building the Machine� melds all of the versatile performer’s influences – from rock to rhythm and blues – into Hughes’ strongest, best work to date.

“It was important for me to think more in a melodic sense on this album,� he said. “If you ask any songwriter, it’s the songs that come quickly and are simple that stand the test of time. I wanted to get back to a more simple way of writing. These songs sound just as good stripped down to acoustic guitar as they do with a full band. It’s all about the song on this album.�

The musical force on “Building the Machine� is made up of the trio of Hughes on bass and vocals, Gary Ferguson on drums, and JJ Marsh on guitar, with Vince Di Cola handling keyboards on nearly all the tracks. Former Toto vocalist Bobby Kimball also joins the group on background vocals on two tracks, as does Pat Travers on one.

Hughes views this album in particular as a turning point. “I touched on an emotional nerve that I hadn’t touched before,� he said. “Some songs, like “Out on Me�, when I listen to it, it sounds like an 18-year-old Glenn Hughes singing. I felt vibrant singing these songs.�

The deep waters Hughes treads leave plenty of room for exploration, and Hughes takes full advantage. “I love the art form of songwriting,� said Hughes. “I get to carry a lot of vibes to a lot of people. My songs are all about the human condition, and people will be able to find themselves in my songs.�

Hughes had been doing dates with the Voices of Classic Rock, featuring a mélange of great vocalists like Joe Lynn Turner, Mike Reno, Bobby Kimball, Jimi Jamison, and Leslie West. He plans to continue touring with the Voices of Classic Rock.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!