CALIFORNIA BREED live in USA 2014

• Ok, today I am toast.

After driving over 400 miles to get to the Detroit show with little sleep after I finished playing a gig that morning, I arrived about 90 minutes before the doors opened for the show. There was a lot going on in a 4 block radius - major league playoff game, NFL football game just getting out, and OF COURSE...CALIFORNIA BREED!!!!

So, finding a place to park was my first priority and I was fortunate to find my way around downtown Detroit and found The Fillmore and a place to park behind it (The baseball stadium was right across the street from the Fillmore). I saw Glenn's tweet about 80 minutes earlier that he was eating at a Sport's Bar right next to The Fillmore, so I went in, but, he wasn't there any longer. I found his bus and the stage door.

I had an early entry pass and that line was forming, so, there was no debate in my mind, F*ck the early entry and wait by the bus to see Glenn!!

After 45 minutes, I could hear the sound check commencing and it was LOUD, definitely could hear Glenn, Andrew, and Joey jammin' their instruments for sound...and of course Glenn's golden voice made it evident! I definitely remember them playing 'The Way" and possibly "Chemical Rain". The sound check ended and who pops out but Andrew Watt...he was super friendly and personalized my CD as he signed! He definitely made the wait worthwhile!! The other people (5 or 6) that were waiting only knew him as 'the guitar player'. So, now...we waited for Glenn to appear...which didn't happen...at least not for another 20 minutes...and it had become cold outside and I was freezing!...the early entry folks were inside and the regular line was halfway in, I was still hoping to get a decent place to stand for the show, but, I really didn't know if Glenn would come out! It was minutes before the opening band was going to start and I didn't know if Glenn would come out!!!!!

Well, Glenn did come out and looked marvelous and was beautiful to everyone that waited! He signed anything that was asked and took pictures with those that asked ( I should have, but was so happy that I finally got to meet Glenn!!!). I took a few pictures from my phone, but, most are all blurry since I was literally shaking from the cold! I think I got 2 good pics, but they are VERY close since I was standing right next to Glenn.

When Glenn was signing my Breed CD, I told him I drove 7 hours to get here and he asked where I came from ... Canada ??? I said no ... and didn't have the heart to tell him that Canada was only 3 miles away from where we were standing (haha)!

Glenn was a total Prince of Rock to all of us and he brought it to the stage as well!!!

I'll put a review of the show together, but I didn't have the best place, since I got in late, but, I did get some very good pics and have Dsdiff audio of the complete show!! I was going to do video, but, I really wanted to enjoy the show and seeing Glenn for my very first time!!!

It was a 48 minute set and here is what they played (starting with my favorite 2 songs from the CD)...[INDENT] 1. The Grey
    2. Chemical Rain
    3. Sweet Tea
    4. Invisible
    5. Spit you Out
    6. Scars
    7. All Falls Down
    8. Midnight Oil
    9. The Way
    10. Burn
    [/INDENT]

• A few of the pics of Glenn from my 'shaky freezing hands'...outside before the October 5th California Breed Detroit gig...

20141005_1.jpg

20141005_4.jpg

20141005_5.jpg

I have some good pics from the show, but, I have to downsize them. First, I have to reload all my software on my computer...since it crashed recently and I had to install a new disc drive...fun times!!! :p

• Awesome pics, Blue, well worth the freezing! :bow:

Really happy for you that you've finally met Glenn. You should have told him it was you talking to him, Glenn remembers the names of the posters on here as I found out during the BCC tour :)

So what about Andrew - is he the new Ritchie Blackmore, any smashed guitars? ;)

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Wolfy, you are correct...from what I could tell, the majority of folks were at the Detroit gig to see Alter Bridge. When I got inside The Fillmore I did a quick 'look around' to see if I could find a place to stand with a view. And I got lucky! The floor was pretty well full, but, I'm 5'9'' and I always seem to get behind someone taller and bigger which blocks the view, especially for taking pics! But, I found a raised standing area behind the floor and got a location 'almost' in front and facing the middle of the stage! The downsize was there were some folks that had already consumed more than enough beverage and had taken on an altered state and were very pig headed about letting me keep my spot, since, they were there first (even though they left and came back). Anyway, I worked it out with them...and Wolfy, none of the people around me knew who California Breed was and maybe 1 person heard of Glenn Hughes. They were all there for Alter Bridge.

We'll, for now, I'm going back outside to view the 'blood moon' that is out this morning in the USA. It is falling to the horizon and LOOKS AWESOME!!!

• Awesome pics, Blue, well worth the freezing! :bow:

Really happy for you that you've finally met Glenn. You should have told him it was you talking to him, Glenn remembers the names of the posters on here as I found out during the BCC tour :)

So what about Andrew - is he the new Ritchie Blackmore, any smashed guitars? ;)

Thanks for the response - Yvonne,
    I find Andrew to be full of energy and fun to watch, up on stage! He is a true entertainer and when he starts to dance, spin and twirl his 'lions mane', it adds a great deal of excitement to the show!
    No, he is not like Ritchie and I don't believe he would smash a guitar. He was playing his trusted Gibson SG and I noticed he also played a Nash Tele. There were a few others he played as well. I know when he was in the middle of his solo in Spit You Out, he ran into some technical difficulty - I'm not sure if it was the pedal, guitar connection, or the guitar, but, he cut out and had to change something (I think the guitar?). But, he pulled it through! Also in Spit You Out, Glenn sang parts of the chorus (alone) with his super high falsetto! I loved it !!http://www.glennhughes.com//www.pinterest…eate/extension/

• ... I know when he was in the middle of his solo in Spit You Out, he ran into some technical difficulty - I'm not sure if it was the pedal, guitar connection, or the guitar, but, he cut out and had to change something (I think the guitar?). But, he pulled it through!

Listening to the concert, after Spit You Out, Andrew says...
    'F*ckin pedalboards!'

So I assume something got messed up with his effect board during that solo!

• Fine show of California Breed and headliner Alter Bridge in Worcester, MA.
    I think Castillo is an awesome powerhouse drummer and a better fit for CB than Bonham actually who is better off with Hagar anyaway, as they play the Montrose-Zep stuff very well.
    The other support band was Like a Storm who had some interesting tunes, lots of attitude and a...didgeridoo.
    Soundsystem at the Palladium is not as good as, say the House of Blues in Boston where I saw Slash with Myles Kennedy a few yrs ago.

• According to 'google' the Palladium has a capacity of 3200 people
    I think there may have been 1800, maybe a little over 2000 people, full enough for me

I've seen the NYC Gramercy show, where California Breed displayed their whole album and more. I rated that one as a pitch perfect rock show.

They're in a supporting role now, but I'd still rate it as 8 on a Glenn scale. Joey Castillo is an excellent addition to the band, a real powerhouse drummer, who fits this band better than Bonham, really. Andrew is more a Chuck Berry, Malcolm Young type of player...but he's so enthusiastic and moves around the stage quite a bit that he gets caught up in an Angus young role what means that the rhythm parts are not as punchy as they should be. He makes up for it with a lot of 'crunch', though!

If you like Glenn's more soulful, vocally gymnastic and emotional side, you'll be slightly disappointed. But rest assured he can do it all, play bass, sing melody, soaring choruses, high, low etc. All falls Down is an emotional highlight of the show with some deep emotions there. Great contact with audience, jokes, confident...a true rock legend...who sings and plays the part.

Headliner, and support acts were namechecking one another, so they're all real pleased with this tour and each other it seems.

I don't have the setlist but California Breed played a well balanced show. I stayed and watched Alter Bridge, who are almost like a modern day Black Sabbath, riffs galore, pouring out of this guy, Tremonti and Myles Kennedy can sing it all (the guy is in 2 bands, the other one with slash). Kennedy is another of my fave singers now.

The sound system in Worcester can be improved upon, but Alter Bridge had to deal with the same issue. You really need to stand in the middle of the room, not too close, to get to hear a balanced sound. Overall a great show on a great tour so far :claphands

Oh. half of the audience knew set closer BURN, but the other half did not, ha ha

Not bad eh, for a guy who first saw Glenn in 1994 at 'Vlietpop' in Holland ;)http://www.glennhughes.com//www.pinterest…eate/extension/

• none of the people around me knew who California Breed was and maybe 1 person heard of Glenn Hughes. They were all there for Alter Bridge.

Was it a younger crowd? Maybe they have even never heard of Deep Purple... ;)

Several clips of the show at the Starland Ballroom can be found on this YT channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlexNeff66/videos

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!