Tommy Bolin - Raw Jams - origins

• Hi there

9 of the 10 tracks of the Tommy Bolin RAW JAMS disc (2013) have been previously released, mostly from the Tommy Bolin Archives (TBA) 2002 CD - AFTER HOURS , THE GLEN HOLLY JAMS. TBA has had 3 main producers for the last 20 yrs: Bob Ferbrache, who did the TBA regular releases. John Herdt, who produced the lesser quality TBA collector series that Ferbrache didn't want to do. Since 2004-ish Greg Hampton was producer. Johnny Bolin and Mike Drumm, who knew Tommy and oversaw most of the excellent TBA releases had some kinda fall out. The archives, for some time now, seem to be re-releasing stuff from their earlier releases in a more haphazard way http://www.tommybolin-official.com/johnherdt.html

Tommy Bolin - Captured Raw - GHS - 102 - 2013

1 Powerhouse
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 9 Track 11 Disc 2of2
    2 Jazzy girl
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 8 Track 9 Disc 2of2
    3 Mixed madness
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 8 Track 8 Disc 1of2
    4 Off the hook
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 12 Track 14 Disc 2of2
    -Whirlwind different title: Dungeon Track 7 Disc 1of2
    5 Swanky
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 6 Track 6 Disc 2of2
    6 Pip's delight
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 11 Track 13 Disc 2of2
    7 Collective energy
    -Alphonse Mouzon feat. Tommy Bolin - Mind Transplant The real thing 1993 RPM re-release from 1975 album Track 9 Disc 1of1
    -Fusion Jam - Mind transplant rehearsals Track 1 1999 - TBACS
    8 Catch me if you can unreleased
    9 Johnny's jam
    -After hours - The Glen Holly Jams vol. 1 Jam 9 Track 9 Disc 1of2
    10 Another highway
    -Naked Another highway 2000 - TBACD - 16+17 Track 19 Disc 1of2
    - Whirlwind different title: Way it's always been 2013 - Purple pyramid Track 2 Disc 2of2

• thanks Ad. I'm a massive fan of Tommy but havent bought the last few releases due to the repetition of previously released tracks. looks like another one to avoid.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Hi Wolfie
    Yes, I'm also a massive fan. The thing this collection DID achieve was te re-listen to those Glen Holly jams...and boy what fun they had in that lil' studio. The various styles and Tommy's guitarwork work never ceases to amaze me :bow:

• Someone posted "The Real Thing" on YouTube, along with a blurb from Tbolin.com :

On October 6, 1974 Mouzon booked rehearsal time at Glen Holly Studios in Los Angeles, and convened there with Tommy on guitar, Rocke Grace on keyboards and Stanley Sheldon on bass. They recorded the material but it was all wiped except for one tape that Tommy took with him. That material contained "The Real Thing," which was released as a bonus track on the 1993 CD release of Mind Transplant on RPM, and along with rest of the surviving material on the Tommy Bolin Archives release Tommy Bolin & Alphonse Mouzon: Fusion Jam CD.

which elicited this comment from Alphonse Mouzon:

Al Mouzon comment:

Not true!!!The keyboard player (Rocke Grace) had a small tape recorder in the middle of the room of his house for this impromptu jam session that was released as a bootleg on the Bolin Archives. Tommy and I didn't book any studio time at Glen Holly Studios. Tommy Bolin (RIP) and I got together in Hollywood at Rocke Grace's house for a jam session, which was after my "MIND TRANSPLANT" had been recorded at Wally Heider Studios for Blue Note Records.

So. according to Al Mouzon, this jam was not even recorded at Glenn Holly...It's worth mentioning that the version on "Captured Raw" is printed on the CD with a serious digital glitch and also was generally an inferior sounding version of the recording. The one released as a bonus track on Al Mouzon's CD Mind Transplant seems to have been more carefully mastered, there is no glitch and the levels are better.

Thanks for tracking down the origin of each of these tracks. It is somewhat annoying that they keep releasing the same stuff with different titles and calling it "previously unreleased." I wouldn't mind if they noted that it was previously released material, so the collectors would know exactly what they are buying.

• i always love learning about the back stories on these records - i don't have a huge tommy collection or anything, but i do have some stuff. i don't have this, yet...

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!