Trapeze line-up with Glenn on Guitar 1973?

• I have the Deep Purple 6-CD box set "Listen, Learn, Read On' and the text from the booklet was largely taken from Chris Charlesworth's long out of print biography of Deep Purple. Charlesworth tells the tale of how Pete Mackie was going to be brought in as the new bassist for Trapeze allowing Glenn to switch to guitar. A date is even given for Pete's first gig with Trapeze in the UK....I am at work and the box set is at home so the exact date escapes me. Pete Frame also states the same thing in his "Rock Family Trees" collection; you can find it about halfway down the DP family tree on the left side of the page, you have to dig a bit for it and the comment was made that after "Play Me Out" was released, Glenn had "gone to ground"....the tree was done in the late 70's.

When Mel Galley did the online chat here, I made a remark in passing about Mister Mackie having played in Trapeze. Mel emphatically stated that Pete never actually played with Trapeze. And yes, the fact of a fourth memeber coming aboard is mentioned during the BBC session that Trapeze did in 1973.

It may have been discussed but it never happened. I do hope that helps out!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• It would have been interesting if GH would have switched the being a second guitarist behind Mel.In retrospect a Keyboardist would have been more natural progression for Trapeze on stage circa '73.
    Or what about a Brass section like The Average White Band?
    If Glenn ever decided to play his 'Play Me Out' album onstage in it's entirety then Keyboards & a Brass section would be the way to go
    oh yeah ..& some female backing vocalists of course!

• ....And yes, the fact of a fourth memeber coming aboard is mentioned during the BBC session that Trapeze did in 1973.

It may have been discussed but it never happened. I do hope that helps out!

I recently picked up a copy of the BBC In Concert performance at a record show. The copy I had for years didn't have the announcer talking, this one did.

After hearing the announcer stating that a new member would be added, I asked Glenn about that. He said they auditioned someone for bass, but couldn't remember who it was. He said it wasn't Pete though.

Chip

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!