ROCK AGAINST MS ~ Whisky A Go Go, Hollywood

• Last night Glenn performed LIVE @ the Rock Against MS All-Star Benefit Concert, held at Whisky A Go Go in West Hollywood, CA., USA.

Glenn was joined for his set by drummer, Kenny Aronoff and guitarist, Luis Carlos Maldonado.

Setlist:
    - Black Country
    - One Last Soul
    - Mistreated
    - Burn

He also joined with Rob Zombie's band members; Piggy, Ginger and John 5, to perform the
    White Zombie/Rob Zombie song, "Thunder Kiss '65".

• David, thanks for the set list! So, was the set about 30-35 minutes? Also, was Glenn using his Orange rig or was he using the Ampeg behind him in the Pic ?
    Thanks Again !

• David, thanks for the set list! So, was the set about 30-35 minutes? Also, was Glenn using his Orange rig or was he using the Ampeg behind him in the Pic ?
    Thanks Again !

It was four songs, though Mistreated is a long one, Burn semi long BCC and One Last Soul are short so couldnt be more than about 20 minutes. Glenn's Orange rig was put onstage.

John

• We were treated to a fantastic, wonderful evening last night by Glenn and all the guests that showed up, including the two surprise stars Rick Springfield and Billy Idol! Any doubts I had about this show were totally wrong, as this was as good as the Bonham fests that drummer Brian Tichy puts on, and maybe even better, because there was more variety than just Zeppelin (and dont get me wrong, those shows are the best). Tichy himself played on several songs, definitely one of my favorite drummers, due to the energy and show he puts on. Awesome. I brought my friend Simon, who I thought was a non GH fan after I subjected him during a 2000 infamous car trip, almost 1000 miles of non stop Glenn. Started out the night with dinner at Barney's Beanery, then walked up the street and arrived at the Whiskey around 9:30. We werent there long when Glenn came in and shook my hand, followed by Kenny Aronoff, who I also said hi to. Unfortunately one of the first acts we saw we were subjected to the former singer of Fuel's "vocals"...how did he ever get the gig replacing Jim Morrison and Ian Astbury with Ray and Robby of the Doors??? :confused: (Thankfully, they have a real singer again- Dave Brock!)

Nights like this go by in a blur and I tried to take some notes on my phone. Chas West, the former singer of Bonham and the usual vocalist for the Bonham tributes was on hand for several short sets , including an amazing version of Wont Get Fooled again with Tichy on drums. Gilby Clarke also participated, with Teddy Zig Zag on keyboards and the always rocking Jeff Pilson. Jeff just rocks out with the energy of a 20 year old and just nailed those Entwistle lines! Jack Russell from Great White sang a great set of Immigrant Song, Living Loving Maid and the Great White songs Save Me and Rock Me. Despite all the rubbish in his bandmates lawsuit, I've seen him sing twice now in the past few months and he sounds awesome, hitting all the notes like on the records. This guy can still sing. Rick Springfield was a surprise guest and looks fantastic- fellow Aussie guitar sensation Orianthi was looking gorgeous as always and joined Springfield for his set and was onstage for another set as well. Unfortunately, this set was definitely the most key challenged and was plagued by guitar tuning problems and it seemed like I was hearing about three or more different keys coming off the stage- out of tune vocals and guitars. That's what can happen with shows like this- Rick was great though, his set included his new song written with Dave Grohl, Jessies Girl and You'd Better Love Somebody. Up next was bass player and singer and sideman from Billy Idol and the Cult, Billy Morrison. His set included a rather uncanny impression of Scott Wieland on songs like Vaseline- it was killer! Marky Ramone next took the drum stool- and the next set of rocking Ramones songs was definitely one of my favorites. It's funny, as a drummer Marky Ramone isn't an Aronoff or Tichy , but he's as good as them because of what he does for those songs. It was a joy to hear them.Mark Macgrath from Sugar Ray joined Morrison for this set. The biggest surprise was next- Billy Idol, with White Wedding and Rebel Yell. How many times has he sung those songs??? But his performance had so much energy and inspiration it was like he had never sung them- it was great! He was joined by The Cult's Billy Duffy on Guitar.

Finally it was Glenn's turn for his three song set- and he' pulled out all the stops during the breaks of BCC- running through his tricks of melismas and stellar vocals and bass playing. Kenny Aronoff as always was stellar as always on the drums and had a huge smile on his face as Glenn blew us away with his voice. Carlos did a great job of nailing the Joe and Ritchie licks on the BCC songs and Mistreated and Burn. Funny, I had been wishing for a Glenn Whiskey appearance and here it was. I found myself feeling a little emotional during the first song BCC- thanks for a great show and always giving your all for us Glenn!

Up next was John5 and Chas West for a great set of hard rock classics like Aint Talking bout Love and Crazy Train. We had to leave after this so I missed the other song Glenn came back for after this. Had to be at work the next day early as we are very busy. Before getting to the car we finished up our Jim Morrison history walk by looking at his Motel room on La Cienega and going by the Doors offices across the street on Santa Monica, where LA Woman was recorded. What a great night, thank you Glenn and everybody. By the way, my friend Simon is now a GH fan, thanks to last night. Another convert, won over!

• That just blew me away... :bow: :clapper: :bow:
    Glenn is better than ever...and better than every singer on this planet... :singer:
    I don't know how he is doing this, but he gets better and better... :thumbup:
    How lucky are the people that watched the show...
    Thanks for sharing the video with us David...
    Best Wishes to you all... :)

• OUTSTANDING Performance!!! :eek: Can't wait for the Voice of Rock to go on Tour!
    Thank you David and Shirean, and say thanks to Glenn from us for this wonderful highlight of the evening ! :bow:

• That just blew me away... :bow: :clapper: :bow:
    Glenn is better than ever...and better than every singer on this planet... :singer:
    I don't know how he is doing this, but he gets better and better... :thumbup:
    How lucky are the people that watched the show...
    Thanks for sharing the video with us David...
    Best Wishes to you all... :)

Thanks for these awesome words!!! Long day on not enough sleep, Kind of was running out of steam by the time I got to describing Glenn's set. I wish I was more eloquent like I can be, and would have liked to have said something like this. Words sometimes fail, can't say enough great things about the amazing Glenn really.

• We NEED a new solo release and US tour NOW!!! :bow:

so light a candle in the window.......
    i will be coming home tonite

• Thanks for these awesome words!!! Long day on not enough sleep, Kind of was running out of steam by the time I got to describing Glenn's set. I wish I was more eloquent like I can be, and would have liked to have said something like this. Words sometimes fail, can't say enough great things about the amazing Glenn really.

Who can explain the divine feel to see Glenn live... it's really hard to explain with words his genius music... can't explain even how beautiful person is Glenn. But when the words come from the heart maybe can try to say some words... for sure they won't be enough. Glenn is too Amazing :)

• Funny, usually don't remember specific moments but I remember that one, and looking at his fingers, they are placed at F# on the frets, so I'm guessing it has to be during Mistreated. I edited a couple of my posts cause I left out Burn. So set was probably about 20 mins.

• John, thanks for the photos and story! Those are 20 minutes I would have loved to have witnessed. Someday - I'll keep believing - it will happen!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!