1975 (work in progress)

• Welcome to Deep Purple's Jakarta nightmare... '1975' is the working title and the treatment for the film which is currently being written with various production companies in discussion for the rights to this incredible story. More info. throughout 2013 :cool:

Deep Purple's tour of Jakarta, Indonesia in 1975 - the first to the Indonesian capital by a western rock band - began with excitement, intrigue and a tank-led motorcade from the airport, but soon descended into intimidation, reneged contracts, mayhem, riots, guard dogs, sabotage, death and jail.

• I'll be interested when this comes out. Some of the footage, including the interviews with Glenn & Jon were included in the Deep Purple Phoenix Rising DVD that was released in 2011.

What a nightmare it must have been ! :o

• Great news!
    The description of the video on youtube says they have 130 minutes of concert material. It is quite odd that the Tokyo 75 footage has not been located for more than 3 decades and this jakartan footage, which most fans never knew existed, pops up like this unexpected.

• Great news!
    The description of the video on youtube says they have 130 minutes of concert material. It is quite odd that the Tokyo 75 footage has not been located for more than 3 decades and this jakartan footage, which most fans never knew existed, pops up like this unexpected.

While I've known about the Jakarta footage for a few years, I totally agree with you. It'd be great to be able to watch the whole Tokyo show, as well as the (lost?) BBC documentary about the band's visit to Japan in -75.

Someday...

• Obviously the documentary was presented in late 2013.

The British director is also involved in Deep Purple in Jakarta, a new doc looking at the tribulations of the famous British heavy band when they toured Indonesia in 1975. The doc is being made through Back To Back and was presented recently at the Film London Production Finance Market. However, Macdonald (who used some Deep Purple music in his Oscar-winning doc One Day in September) won’t be directing – as had been suggested in certain quarters. “I am just trying to help them raise the money. I thought it was a good story because of the conjunction of music, entertainment and politics.”

http://www.idfa.nl/industry/daily…tmas-story.aspx

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Have you seen this footage? Some is from Phoenix Rising, some is new.

The Indonesians must have had A LOT to hide :mad:

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• There is a multitude of new interviews and vision with 130 mins of concert material available. The trailer was not designed for 'fans'. It is a piece designed for production houses who would not have seen the PHOENIX RISING material.

• I pretty much beleive that this docu will be previewed during Glenn´s storyteller night on February 25.

So, any news of what the footage they showed on February 25th was? I am really hoping some more of that Maryland '76 footage with audio emerges soon. Been wanting to see that for about 25 years.

• So, any news of what the footage they showed on February 25th was? I am really hoping some more of that Maryland '76 footage with audio emerges soon. Been wanting to see that for about 25 years.

I can confirm that the documentary shown on february 25 was "Lay Down Stay Down, the MK III documentary that will accompaign the Made in Europe box set later this year.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!