MKIII reunion of sorts... you never know!

• Glenn recently talked with CBS Local in the USA...

Jon, David and I were trying to get it together. We couldn’t get ahold of Ritchie. We sent carrier pigeons, and the Pony Express. But nobody at ‘Castle Blackmore’ answered the door. It wasn’t meant to be.

David and I have talked about this weekly since Jon died. How we can do something to keep the flame burning. But we don’t want to hinder the heritage of the band, some bands get back together and sound bloody awful. It’s the 40th anniversary of Burn next year. I’m not giving you a hint to something that’s gonna happen, but you just never know.

• How exciting! I sent him an email several months before we lost Jon (that was a hard day for all of us) saying that while it was unlikely that he'd ever get Ian, Jon and Ritchie on board, the fans would all love to see him and Coverdale put a band together and do something. Tour/album, old songs/new songs, whatever!

Maybe he saw it? lol

• I don't believe much will happen next year celebrating the 40th anniversary of Burn.

1. Machine Head was much more groundbreaking / important
    When I see how MH was celebrated....
    With a terrible tribute album, containing songs that were already recorded in the past, a demo, a live recording and a few new recordings.
    And with an all time low with the Flaming Lips covering Smoke On The Water. The best known song, butchered.
    Not a way to celebrate such an album.
    Wonder who was responsible for this?
    2. Blackmore wouldn't be interested
    3. Jon Lord is no longer among us
    4. Ian Paice will not leave current Deep Purple, they will release a new album and will start a new world tour.
    5. And David and Glenn celebrating Burn with none of the original members isn't right. It will leave a bad taste.

It's better that Glenn and David will do something together, a guest appearance or a duet on Glenn's or David's new album.

As David (our David) said several times before, Glenn is not looking back....
    So celebrating Burn and working with David C. is looking back.

Damn Glenn tell us what you are up to next :D

• As David (our David) said several times before, Glenn is not looking back...

I think you should allow him and the other remaining members the exception for 'Burn', 'Stormbringer' and 'Come Taste The Band', as far as looking back... afterall, they certainly made their mark on the DP legacy and each of their release anniversaries are fast approaching :eek:

• :cool: interesting topic, amazing every time you think about it. MKIII is so important and still inspiring musicians all over the planet you can't imagine they will keep on remembering but won't keep on moving.

A real reunion is nomore an option, the huge Jon Lord is gone and left us in sadness.
    Blackmore is looking forward while doing his thing all good, he doesn't like to play "Smoke On The Water" nomore, i have no idea if he'd like to play "Burn" again.

So the old soulbrothers Glenn and D.C. can do something together, and a tribute on MKIII won't leave a bad taste i think.
    And so many fans would do a dance of joy if these guys would take place behind one microphone.

After being so surprised and touched by hearing the "Highway Star" version with Glenn, Chad Smith and Steve Vai, absolute breathtaking..wow,
    i would love to hear some more from these artists, and plus D.C. and maybe Derek Sherinian on keyboards, this is my wildest dream MKIII tributeband!

greets
    Sigurd

• I think you should allow him and the other remaining members the exception for 'Burn', 'Stormbringer' and 'Come Taste The Band', as far as looking back... afterall, they certainly made their mark on the DP legacy and each of their release anniversaries are fast approaching :eek:

Certainly

I'm a DP fan since the early seventies.
    Glenn and David brought DP to new heights.

CTTB is, was and will always be one of my favourite albums.
    One that aged very well.

But i think it doesn't feel right that the "new" guys celebrate Burn if the original members don't do anything.

How great Maybe I'm a Leo and Highway Star are with Glenn I have mixed feelings him performing on this one.
    I don't like those tribute albums and I think Glenn performed on too many of them.

• :cool: for those who have mixed feelings if the "new guys" are doing some stuff without the other members one possible question:

What if purplestuff is now in a state of modern classical music and needs to be played by any musicians who can bring out a inspired interpretation?

Songs like "Highway Star" or "Burn" ecetera should be played by Bands and orchestras like the old music of Beethoven or Bach ecetera is played every day on the planet!

And if one or two members of the original lineup can do new things with the old stuff i think it's wonderful.

I for myself could imagine the whole Stormbringer album recorded by Glenn and perhaps D.C. in a heavier and louder sound could push this outstanding high quality songmaterial again.

greets
    Sigurd
    :bouncer:

• Your comparison between classical music and modern classic music falls a bit short.
    Classic music (Bach, Beethoven and so on) wasn't performed by a band.
    They didn't go on tour, the music wasn't played on radio, you couldn't buy their music.
    When nowadays a band plays an evening with Deep Purple songs, they are called a tribute-act.
    When the Royal Philharmonic plays an evening of music written by Bach, I guess you won't call them a tribute act.

I agree listening to a band playing your favourite songs is fun.
    For instance a couple of weeks back I went to see Demon's Eye with Doogie White.
    They are what people would call a tribute-act, although they recorded an album of their own.
    Their show was filled with Purple / Rainbow and some of their own songs.
    They sounded more like DP (mark II and III) than DP sounds themselves today.
    Even Ian Paice and Jon Lord played with DE, still it's never the real deal.

The magic of Deep Purple (mark II and III) was the chemistry between the members at that time.
    It will never be recaptured.

I prefer Glenn doing his own stuff and throw in a couple of old memories for the good old days.
    If he wants to celebrate Burn, Stormbringer or whatsoever he must do it.
    I will certainly buy it and I will also go to see him.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!