Session with Vai & Chad Smith?

• Hello all,

last week when Jon Lord passed away Glenn said he was recording something in the studio with Steve Vai and Chad Smith which will be in memory of Jon. (If I remember correctly, that is...)

Any details of this? Obviously it can't be part of the new BCC, but could it be part of a future GH solo project?

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

• Yes, coming soon :)

It is part of a new tribute CD, called "Re-Machined", in commemoration of Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album, which is celebrating it's 40th anniversary.

It will see a release in a month or two.

- Smoke On The Water – Carlos Santana / Jacoby Shaddix
    - Highway Star – Chickenfoot
    - Maybe I’m A Leo – Glenn Hughes / Chad Smith
    - Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
    - Never Before – Kings of Chaos
    - Smoke On The Water – The Flaming Lips
    - Lazy – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
    - Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
    - When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
    - Highway Star – Steve Vai, Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Lauchlan Doley

More @ http://fb.me/1SrSpYyca and http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/classic-r…purple-fanpack/

• Yes, I just discovered that big announcement on Classic Rock as well and pre-ordered the magazine with the CD. It will include the last interview with Jon Lord that was already described on Classic Rock online. The release is September 4, 2012.

I'm a bit sceptical about "Smoke On The Water" by "The Flaming Lips" because I never heard of them. But therefor this song and "Highway Star" are twice on the CD. Handsome for Chad, maybe he only needed to play his drums once for this song...;)
    Great to see "When A Blind Man Cries" on it as well. I bet it will be performed great by Metallica, I love this song.

Now this CD is a tribute to the original "Machine Head", shall one of the "Highway Star" versions still be a tribute to Jon Lord? I didn't read anything like that on Classic Rock yet?

It's just a pity that other ex-members of DP aren't involved. It would have been great if Jon Lord could have made his last appearance here but his last solo album will also be released in September, so there's a lot of good music coming out shortly, never mind BCC in October...:cool::bouncer:

That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock... 8)

• Now this CD is a tribute to the original "Machine Head", shall one of the "Highway Star" versions still be a tribute to Jon Lord? I didn't read anything like that on Classic Rock yet?

From one of those links above ;)

Hearing of Jon Lord's sad passing, Glenn Hughes assembled some friends to cut Highway Star last week as a tribute to his dear friend. The performance is one of the greatest performances Glenn Hughes has committed to record.

• Just wonder why some people make so much hot air about a new superband when it's all about a tribute album :confused:

Really looking forward to your version of 'Maybe I'm A Leo', Glenn :thumbup: ;)

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Thanks, David, this information must have come too late for Classic Rock or they might still publish it? Anyhow - I'm dead curious and hope there will be some different versions of the original songs on that album, so all the fans will like this tribute as a great addition to the masterpiece :)

lioness: well, before the information about this tribute album was given there was a lot of "something's going on" in the air, so I understand pretty well that the speculations also went in direction of a new band with Glenn. Thought about it myself but stopped guessing in the dark and will just wait and see what happens now ;)

• Just wonder why some people make so much hot air about a new superband when it's all about a tribute album :confused:

Really looking forward to your version of 'Maybe I'm A Leo', Glenn :thumbup: ;)

totally agree with you :confused: :thumbup:

• Heidi,

I didn't mean you with the hot air. YOU just make hot photos :thumbup:
    And other hot items, one I'm presently enjoying! :) ;)

Btw, Glenn HAS a superband. It's called BCC. :) If only the guitarist would recognize it as such... :rolleyes:

• Amazon.com now have the tribute album listed; expect pre-orders shortly - listed as currently available on September 25th, 2012 :thumbup:

• Heidi,

I didn't mean you with the hot air. YOU just make hot photos :thumbup:
    And other hot items, one I'm presently enjoying! :) ;)

Btw, Glenn HAS a superband. It's called BCC. :) If only the guitarist would recognize it as such... :rolleyes:

Ouh...thanks for the flowers, Ypsilon! :D :thanx:
    And yes, I totally agree with you, for me the superband is also BCC! I was just listening to their live CDs again, great stuff! But I can also imagine Glenn doing an album and some live gigs with other musicians if JB keeps concentrating on his solo career. So, let's wait and see ;)

• :cool: ok, we're talking about the "superband" BCC and certainly it is.
    The musicians are superb, the creative input is a flowing river, no doubt.

But seems to me the difference between a band and a bandproject should be seen clear by smart and expierienced artists.
    Ok, managers don't think in long distances this time, but the deal would be greater if the building of a legend like BCC would stand on solid ground.

The quality of the songs, production, playing, performing is one thing, on the other hand a band should grow together.
    A successful solocareer is wonderful, but the chance to play in a real band, a monsterrockband like Rolling Stones or Deep Purple is much better.

I never criticised something about BCC on this forum yet, i love this band,
    and i don't want to be part of any negative energy for them as a fan.
    But i must say i'm disappointed about the missing tour-activity, and i think I'm not alone here.
    Glenn twittered "the trilogy is complete", but i hope really they will come on strong again in the next time.
    Hanging around, spending time together, have some fun, maybe some silly stuff, but please act like a band not a bandproject!

greets
    Sigurd

• Press Release:

Re-Machined: A Tribute To Deep Purple's Machine Head
    Re-Machined: A Tribute To Deep Purple's Machine Head
    amzn.to
  • If I am not totally mistaken, then 'Highway Star' is exclusive to the CR fanpack?
    Already pre-ordered mine! :cool:

Yes and No from what I can see!

In UK/Europe there will be a "Limited / Collectors Edition" as well as the CR 'fanpack', so you'll also have the option to buy that one as well, which will include that track on it.

I believe Stateside (rest of world), the release will have just 9 tracks... with that tenth one omitted :rolleyes:

• A teaster for RE-MACHINED - 'Lazy' with Jimmy Barnes and Joe Bonamassa.
    Very bluesy, very cool. I like it. If I'm lucky, my pre-order won't take too long to arrive :)

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!