Jon Lord : 1941 - 2012

• I just read the news. So sad. Jon Lord was a musical giant. I have everything he's recorded from the Artwoods on...such an amazing musical legacy. His music of recent years was breathtaking, just something to behold. My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

• I just came home and had the bad news in my mailbox. Very sad. I was hoping so much he would still be able to enjoy a few years more on this planet...

That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock... 8)

• Jon Lord est décédé aujourd'hui à l'âge de 71 ans.. p** une partie de ma jeunesse vient de partir.. RIP Jon et merci :( :( :(

• I've just read the devastating news :(

One of my musical heroes is gone and my heart is full of grief.

My thoughts are with his wife and daughters.

Thank you, Jon, for all you've done for us. You will never be forgotten.

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Having met Jon for the first time approx 2 years ago after a performance of the Concerto in Liverpool I was impreesed with his humility and the fact that he was not affected in any way. A true gentleman who will be very much missed. A sad day indeed. God bless.

• Hearing of his passing reminded me of a fond memory from back in the early days of the internet. While I was a grad student at the University of Texas at Austin in the mid-90s I became a denizen of alt.music.deep-purple for awhile. Aside from getting to know and meet some great, friendly, fellow fans, Jon Lord and Roger Glover also participated on the forum, which made it very special. I particularly remember receiving an email of good birthday wishes from Jon on my birthday. He mentioned that he named his daughter Sara (my name), with the same spelling and said it conferred many additional blessings on me. I enjoyed following his career as he explored his own muse to other types of music and then back to DP. There's a Hammond B3 rockin' Heaven now!

• Very sad news. I really believed that Jon would be able to defeat this horrible disease, considering that according to Paicy, his cancer was detected at a very early stage. When I saw Jon returning to the studio full at work, I really thought Jon had been victorious.
    Glenn if you are there, why not dedicate BBC III to JOn?
    all the best to Jon and his family from Argentina, he will be greatly missed.

• Sad news indeed; another legend moves on...

Marc Fevre
    Napa, CA
    ___

From http://www.whitesnake.com

It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with Whitesnake & many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Jon Lord 9 June 1941 - 16 July 2012.

• the best ever. Jon Lord was a true legend.
    met him in 1978 in Cleveland with Whitesnake.
    he will never be forgotten.

so light a candle in the window.......
    i will be coming home tonite

• Had the great honour of meeting Jon a couple of times and he was a true gentleman - charming, friendly and humble.
    His musical genius has brought me immeasurable pleasure over so many years.

My sincere and grateful thanks to the Maestro.

• glad i got to see him play more than once -the beginning of LAZY is one of the best intros to a song ever!!!!!!!-i know where he is at right now-it has to be

• As a professional keyboardist Jon Lord is part of every fiber of my musical being. In recent years I've appreciated his gifts more than ever, I still spend a lot of my woodshedding time trying to play and sing Purple music on keys and guitar. Before I heard the news today I was listening to Sometimes I feel like Screaming , trying to remove an annoying song that was stuck in my head. From Hush to Fingers to the Bone, Jon was the best. He's made me and acoworkerlaugh today as well, thinking of that brilliant keyboard and spoken word intro to Cascades, "Do you take this woman to be your Lawfully wedded Strife" . Jon was a keyboard genius and a world class gentleman as well. It's a tough day and I'm deeply saddened.

• This is very very sad, that he's gone.
    I feel real pain in my heart now, although i never met him personally.
    But his musical work, the connection between Classic and Rock, is shining so bright and will last.
    My prayers are for his family.

Sigurd Kross

• A true gem of a man. He will be sorely missed by many.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!