Rock Meets Classic 2012

• Some pure rock fans say that a classic orchestra takes away the drive and dirt of R&R. Too smooth, too soft, too boring...

Really? I got tought something different when I went to "Rock Meets Classic 2012" in Berlin last night. Jimi Jamison (Survivor), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann's Earth Band), Robin Beck, Steve Lukather (Toto) and - tataa - Ian Gillan were playing with the Matt Sinner Band (great keyboarder and two fantastic guitar players) and the Bohemian Symphony Orchestra Prague for over 3 hours and it was great, great, great!

:claphands

Okay, for my personal taste I would have just been happy with Chris Thompson, Steve Lukather (I liked his versions of "When My Guitar Gently Sweeps" and "Beat It" more than the Toto songs) and Ian Gillan - plus band and orchestra. But therefor in the second half I could join some fans to the stage and was very lucky - when a fan beside me got some records signed of Ian he was so nice to leave his autograph on my arm as well (Ian, not the fan!) :cool: :D

Here are some videos I shot last night, have fun and enjoy!

• Well, if you had taken along the 'shocking' pic I sent you, Big Ian would definitely have signed other parts too than just your arm... :p :D

Guess you're not going to take a shower for a couple of days ;) :lol:

Have a look here what Ian says about the current ROCK MEETS CLASSIC Tour and flying water bottles.

www.os-nachbarn.de/Magazin/ON/Artikel/8236/Keine_Angst_vor_fliegenden_Wasserflaschen

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• YPSILON!!! :eek: :D (He probably would have signed my forehead with "Silly Cow" instead of my arm with Ian Gillan.) :p

Great interview! I also read one today where he gets asked:

"Are you in contact to formerly band members of Deep Purple like i.e. Glenn Hughes or Ritchie Blackmoore?"

And he says: "Unfortunately I never met Glenn Hughes. I saw his new band on tele recently and I liked them well. And Ritchie Blackmoore? No, when he left it stopped raining and the sun came out. And I like it like that."

www.mainpost.de/ueberregional/kulturwelt/kultur/Wie-Ian-Gillan-mit-Bier-das-massvolle-Trinken-lernte;art3809,6559558

Straight foreward and authentic, I love that :thumbup:

• I think it's the first time i read something from Big Ian about Glenn. nice... :thumbup:

• Some pure rock fans say that a classic orchestra takes away the drive and dirt of R&R. Too smooth, too soft, too boring...

Really? I got tought something different when I went to "Rock Meets Classic 2012" in Berlin last night. Jimi Jamison (Survivor), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann's Earth Band), Robin Beck, Steve Lukather (Toto) and - tataa - Ian Gillan were playing with the Matt Sinner Band (great keyboarder and two fantastic guitar players) and the Bohemian Symphony Orchestra Prague for over 3 hours and it was great, great, great.

The guitarplayers are Oliver Hartmann (bald guy) and the guy with the long hair is Alex Beyrodt (Sinner,Silent Force,primal Fear,Voodoo Circle). He's one of my fav guitar players!!

Alex also did a gig with Glenn a few years back at Ermstal open air.

• And Ritchie Blackmore? No, when he left it stopped raining and the sun came out. And I like it like that."

:D :D :D

Cool interview, thanks! :bow:

So, Mr. Gillan says he has never met Glenn? Ha - then what about the photo which Ad has posted some time ago? :confused:

Having a hangover from beer is one of the worst things ever.

Is a hangover from Vodka or Gin Tonic better, Mr. Gillan? :p :D

Amazing comment from Big Ian. Having read his autobiography, I got a different impression. (Apparently he wasn't really sober when he made the deal with Black Sabbath.)

And how many times did he have to hand in his driving license - twice or more?

• Thanks a lot, Stormbringer74, werner and Yvonne :)

werner: Great, I just googled them two and was surprised about the big carreer of both. How funny that Alex was touring with Glenn as well, the world is small :cool:
    Might keep an eye on them and have a look at their own projects as well.

@Yvonne: Now that's a real surprise! :D
    Well, they both don't look really sober on that picture and when you hit it hard and have a blackout afterwards - can't blame him. But regarding the drinking attitude I think he didn't want to make a difference between beer and harder stuff but between drinking so much that you get a hangover and "modest" drinking. Hmm...don't know if he succeeded to really get the alcohol under control. But he's touring 9 out of 12 months a year in his age and I think that's phenomenal! I'm really impressed.

Just found another interesting interview as well regarding his relation to alcohol and Ritchie:

www.spiegel.de/spiegel/kulturspiegel/d-64292877.html

"At the beginning we've always been together in a room when we were on on tour - and got on great. But then it started to get out of control. Deep Purple was never a band of drugs, our poison was the alcohol. I never stepped back and was the bigger idiot than Ritchie. But maybe he would have another opinion about this as well. When it was not running so well at one time, the halls were small and not sold out, he was steaming. Before one gig he was looking into the audience and said: "The room is only filled to 40 percent, so I'm gonna play only 40 percent of the show." And he really left the stage after 40 minutes. No joke!"

Okay, we all know that some members of DP were having more problems with drugs than alcohol but I still had to smile about his statement... :)

• mouaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha !

well are you sure it's a good idea ? :D :lol:

Sure, why not. You know that Gillan has a special kind of humour. And you can use the excuse that it was my idea ;)

(Maybe in return he will show you a pic of Ritchie's naked mother-in-law... :D)

Rockpages.gr: I guess you are aware that Blackmore's manager is now his mother-in-law...

Ian Gillan: Yeah...

Rockpages.gr: And she rarely lets him give a solo interview.

Ian Gillan: Really?

Rockpages.gr: There has to be Candice Night as well and also she doesn't let him give interviews to rock magazines and Deep Purple questions are not permitted...

Ian Gillan: Well, I don't know why that is... I've got some naked pictures of her... (snickering).

www.rockpages.gr/detailspage.aspx?id=1453&type=1&lang=EN

:lol:

• I will be on Rock meets Classic on tuesday in Paris ! :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:

Hope you had big fun last night! And did you take Yvonne's photo with you? :lol:
    Ahh...but you could have taken this photo with you and asked him on which gig he signed it... ;)

january_17_ian_gillan_autograph.jpg

• Thanks for quoting that great interview! I like the following words especially, even though they are not new (but always nice to read):

Rockpages.gr: The richer the more greedy...

Ian Gillan: You are right. But that's not real wealth. Real wealth is health, happiness, family, strong spirit, beautiful pictures, music... that's wealth. Money is just being rich...

• mouarf... :p :p

anyways.. not so bad last night but not so good... :rolleyes:

Big Ian in very small vocal shape :( and have a big problem with his right leg (perhaps broken)... see this video...
    [ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br-Bv9ZXNkU']Rock meets Classic, Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) "Knocking at your..." @ Zénith, Paris jan 24 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Big Ian in very small vocal shape :( and have a big problem with his right leg (perhaps broken)... see this video...

Well, I've seen him in worse shape. Anyway, that's the main reason why I don't go to these Rock Meets Classic tours - I have the feeling that Ian is saving his voice for the real thing, i.e. Purple gigs.

You can't walk on stage with a broken leg like that, Stormy. It's simply called age... :D

Let's meet in 20 years and see how you'll be hobbling around then. You'll be in the same age as Big Ian is now, YOU YOUNGSTER!!! :erte1: ;)

Well, he was saving his voice a bit in Berlin as well and last year, too (if the article is right that I was reading). I don't think he's saving his voice because it's just "Rock meets Classic" and not DP. I think he has to start to be careful with his voice, so he can still tour that much. I mean he's not a spring chicken anymore, so I wouldn't expect a performance like many, many years ago. He's still doing fine and much better than some colleagues and what I was liking most was his joy while performing. This joy jumped over like a sparkle to the audience in Berlin and it was like celebrating a big party together.

And his right leg wasn't plastered in Berlin like it was in Paris. So something must have happend. He joked himself he did it by sky jumping. Don't think he broke it the way he was running around but maybe he sprained his ankle. Still - he seemed to enjoy his gig in Paris as well :)

So, like Yvonne I'm already looking forward to see him with DP in November :bouncer:

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!