• Hello GHCP,

After "lurking" for a while, I am now on the boards myself, though I'm not worthy! I'm a Franco-Cypriot & I've been a fan forever. I remember seeing Deep Purple (Mk. VII) when I was 15 & getting angry at a couple of guys three times my age because they were saying Glenn Hughes was too funky! The funny thing was there was no complaining when the band played "No One Came", perhaps the funkiest Mk. II song! 5 years after that, which leads us to 2001, I wrote a looong article on Mk. III/IV for a music software company I was working for as an intern (I also reviewed BTM for them). Anyway, I'm being pointless...I guess I just wanted to say I'm not new to Glenn's universe but I'm new here & I'm enjoying the wealth of information & quick responses. So danke sehr to you all & merci beaucoup Glenn!

A

• Hi and welcome, Alex! :) Nicest introduction I've read in a long time.

Funny that you say "No One Came" is a funky song. I saw it performed live last year (nearly freaked ;) ) and I think it's quite a hard rock song. "Mary Long" is much funkier IMHO.

Dankeschön and merci, have fun here! :bouncer:

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Merci beaucoup Lioness, danke sehr Heidi!

I see what you mean but the way I tap my feet to "No One Came" is close to dancing whereas, I don't know if this will make any sense, "Mary Long" is paradoxically both more straightforward & looser!

Way back in 1996 (it was the Paris Zenith gig, not the Olympia one that has since been released), they also played "Mary Long" actually & I was happy to see Mk.VII give WDWTWA a little love on top of the usual "Woman From Tokyo", yet I didn't find it that funky at the time though now I afree with you.

A couple of years ago at the new Olympia (the venue has moved but the name remains the same) Mk.VIII played "No One Came" again & the audience went wild! I'm still waiting for "Fools"! As I had both of them on vinyl, as a teenager I saw many connexions between the Fireball & Burn albums...the titles, the covers, the "taking chances" aspect of the music. I love the B-sides the singles from these albums have as well!

Having said that, hush hush, I have a little secret: Burn is the one I like most!

A

• hey man.. we have a few little things in common.. Purple concerts in Paris for example... ;) hope to see you next year in this town or somewhere in France :thumbup:

• :cool: hi Cleanouttasight, nice to have you here!
    Yes the funky side of Deep Purple was sparkling on before mk3 sometimes.
    My favorite on "fireball" is "No One Came", the second could be "Fools", interesting you compare the album with "Burn", which i wouldn't.
    Even on "In Rock" there are some funky moments, Blackmore is a rythm giant, sometimes he's strummin' funky without his pick.
    The first Purple hitnumber "Hush" has got a funky side, they recorded the title twice in the 80's for "Nobody's Perfect", Gillan was superb on it.
    But like you i got always angry, when people in the 70's talking Glenn Hughes would be too funky for Deep Purple.

best regards
    Sigurd
    :bouncer:

• hey man.. we have a few little things in common.. Purple concerts in Paris for example... ;) hope to see you next year in this town or somewhere in France :thumbup:

Yeah, like in Clermont ;) Just make sure that poor little Stormobile doesn't get towed again... :p

• Lioness, Sigurd, Stormbringer74, everyone,

What a nice community! Have some of you already met? Not any misadventures, hoffentlich!

Actually, I've been to Clermont a couple of times, but not for DP alas. It would have been nice to have met you during the BCC gig at the Bataclan this year! Futile information I know, but I remember buying Iron Maiden's A Real Live One (when it could be bought as an individual CD...woops wrong forum!) & Faith No More's King for a Day...Fool for a Lifetime when I was 14 in Clermont's Fnac!

A lot of pointless teenage memories here, sorry, but this kind of leads me to another pont: the reason I used to see connexions between Fireball and Burn is a bit silly...it's because they were the only DP albums I had on vinyl at the time (Stormbringer was to follow!) & I would listen to them when I was in my room, whereas I tended to use a Discman for the the rest of my collection back then. So I'll be the first to admit the links between both of them aren't that strong!

In Rock has its funkyness too, very true! Same thing goes for all DP versions of "Hush", agreed! One more anecdote before I go: I made a Rage Against the Machine follower become a Deep Purple fan thanks to "Flight of the Rat"!

Bis bald,

A

• Yeah, like in Clermont ;) Just make sure that poor little Stormobile doesn't get towed again... :p

my wonderful Stormobile will travel across Europe next year and will be at Munich and Stuttgart for the Purple concert also every french dates... :p ;)

@ Sighty : great BCC show at Paris yes... :) first row for me.. anyways we will see in the future ! ;) Clermont, Paris or in another place... :thumbup:

• whereas I tended to use a Discman for the the rest of my collection back then.

A

Hi A :)

Now, who do we have here. A Franco-Cypriot, who speaks perfect English and obviously German as well? That's interesting.

A Discman? Man, what luxury. We started with an audiotape on my brother's side and I was the proud owner of a cheap plastic record player. Whatever it was, loud music came from our rooms, we were a nuisance for our parents :D

@ Stormy: Yes, I know, groupies tend to travel extensively :p
    München and Stuttgart too? :cool:

A, shall we teach the Stormy guy a bit more German so that he will be able to mumble a few other words than "ein Bier bitte"? Might be useful with the birds... :D

See ya
    Yvonne

• @ Stormy: Yes, I know, groupies tend to travel extensively :p
    München and Stuttgart too? :cool:

really hope so... ;)

A, shall we teach the Stormy guy a bit more German so that he will be able to mumble a few other words than "ein Bier bitte"? Might be useful with the birds... :D

isn't enough ? :cool: :D

• Cleanouttasight - what a FAB pen name!

Have fun on the site, and welcome aboard the funk / rock / soul train :thumbup:

:rose:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• :cool: Shirl, you are saying right now we're all on a train here?
    Hmm, when i checked in nearly a year ago i had the feeling like landing on a planet.
    But a train may be funny too, which direction? :thumbup:

best regards
    Sigurd
    :bouncer:

• isn't enough ? :cool: :D

Well, some birds are a bit more sophisticated, especially those from Munich. Remember, one of them married David Coverdale ;)

Sigurd,

you've landed on the right planet, whether by train, flying saucer or whatever!

• Shirl, Lioness, don't make me blush! I dig your stories; I almost wish I had never owned a Discman! I wonder how many Purple related gigs the Stormobile has enabled some of you to go to? I really appreciate the feedback & hope to share some special past, present & future GH experiences with all of you in 2012 & beyond. Fröhliche Weihnachten! * A

• Shirl, Lioness, don't make me blush! I dig your stories; I almost wish I had never owned a Discman! I wonder how many Purple related gigs the Stormobile has enabled some of you to go to? I really appreciate the feedback & hope to share some special past, present & future GH experiences with all of you in 2012 & beyond. Fröhliche Weihnachten! * A

you're really welcome on the Stormobile.. have a look here...

http://www.packshot-web.fr/livreDP/index.html
    I've got the real book of course... ;)

next time will 2012... :bouncer: :bouncer:

• Thanks for the link, but "sorry, this photo gallery requires that scripting be enabled on your web browser and that the Adobe Flash Player be installed"...I'll have to check from a real computer! As most of you probably know, saying "bitte" isn't always easy if you're French, especially if you ignore the extra "t"...DC sure does have good taste by the way ;)

• I wonder how many Purple related gigs the Stormobile has enabled some of you to go to?

Well, I've never been on the Stormobile. Two groupies in one car - all hell would break loose! :p :D

A, a real computer? Then get a MAC! DC's taste - hmmm, try to talk with him about wife No. 2... :lol:

Nice job, Stormy! :thumbup:

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!