• http://twitter.com/#!/glenn_hughes/media/slideshow?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyfrog.com%2Fnvneoifj

Great to see this picture from Glenns' twitter page. I like the look of this Jazz bass. Major mojo! These worn basses have a great feel to them, like a comfortable t-shirt. Look forward to seeing this in the rotation :thumbup:

Be interesting to know if it's worn natural, or if it's a relic job.

• I do believe this is another Bill Nash creation..old is new!!

I was looking at the website and was impressed by the lengths gone to to age these basses..very cool, indeed!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• I do believe this is another Bill Nash creation..old is new!!

I was looking at the website and was impressed by the lengths gone to to age these basses..very cool, indeed!

I thought it may be another Bill Nash. I much prefer Glenn playing a Jazz, has a lot more bite to the sound.

I have a Fender Marcus Miller signature Jazz that has a Status Graphite neck on it. Glenn would love it. It's the best sounding Jazz I've ever owned.

• Since the 'roadworn' thing has come up (I think either Rory Gallagher's or Stevie Ray Vaughan's Signature Fender Strat were the first guitars released in that style), there have always been discussion about vintage vs. roadworn, and prices, especially for unmodified 1960s instruments have risen to questionable levels.

Generally guitars (and basses) have to be played to stay "alive", and those instruments that have been played and taken care of for 40+ years have a quality, a soul of their own, which new one's can't have. Yet anything new has of course up to date technology and quality!

I bought a Japanese Fender 'Geddy Lee' Signature '62 (replica) Jazz Bass from a musician/collector recently. This was Limited Edition run back in 1998/1999 (now being produced again, but mine is an original from the first batch :cool:), but I didn't buy one back then, simply because I hesitated a bit too long, then they were all gone and eBay was only in its humble beginnings.
    This instrument has been played for 11 years, and it has been well taken care of, thanks to the original owner. It's "alive", you can feel that when you play it, and I love it!!! :cool:

This is also a perfect addition to my 1990s Precision Anniversary Model (adds an additional Humbucker near the bridge, for the gear heads) that has been my main bass guitar since 1995!

It has always been Precision vs. Jazz Bass, and Glenn has switched from one to the other for years.
    I have been a stubborn Precision player for 15 years, but I now have the same passion for the Jazz Bass that I have for the P!

You learn when you get older... ;)

MEDUSA

• Chris, i'm not a musician (apart from air guitar, air drums and air keys :lol: :D)

but the old is better than new reminds me of Mel Galley's Marshall amps.

when in Whitesnake he told Jim Marshall that his own older Marshall amps were better than the new ones supplied to the band so Marshall put all his old equipment inside new outers to make it look like he was playing the new stuff! :confused: :eek:

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Vintage Old Stock..Closet Classic...New Original Stock...Roadworn...Gently Aged....what is an aspiring (or even perspiring)closet Clapton supposed to do? Kinda reminds me of how stone washed jeans were made; they would tumble dry the new jeans with rocks or something to that effect...or making George Clooney look like George Burns..perhaps not! ;)

With the price of vintage instruments steadily climbing over the years, seems like players will do whatever it takes to get that lived in "mojo"...I am reminded of an article in "Rolling Stone" back in the late Seventies that dealt with the customizing of new instruments to give them that vintage appeal. One phrase that I remember is that some things can't be faked, the settling of the wood grain as time passes and the changing magnetic fields of the pickups over time.

Christian is dead right...over time and with constant playing any instrument takes on a life of its own. It may not be easily defined in a nice neat technical explanation....just pick it up and you get it!! :thumbup:

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Vintage Old Stock..Closet Classic...New Original Stock...Roadworn...Gently Aged....what is an aspiring (or even perspiring)closet Clapton supposed to do? Kinda reminds me of how stone washed jeans were mede; they would tumble dry the new jeans with rocks or something to that effect...or making George Clooney look like George Burns..perhaps not! ;)

Back in the 70s, we put on the jeans, climbed into the tub and scrubbed the jeans with cleanser to get that used look!!! :D :lol:

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Yvonne, luckily you don't have to do that anymore ;) What a drain! LOL!

This whole vintage and/or roadworn instrument sector is growing into a real market, even it can be a bit silly at times. Sure, it looks cool, but apart from that it doesn't justify the pricetags they often put on those.

Chris, I once read that Rory's Strat looked like this also due to his overly aggressive kind of "sweat". No idea if this is truth or myth though.

Speaking about him, a few months ago I finished reading "Riding Shotgun" by his longtime bassplayer Gerry McAvoy. A fantastic read as well. Highly recommendable.

Cowards die many times, the valiant never taste the death but once - Caesar

• Yvonne, luckily you don't have to do that anymore ;) What a drain! LOL!

Hello Katy,
    No, not at all, at the time it was quite fun. Our mom only wondered where all her cleanser was going... :lol: Good old "Ajax", you know :D

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!