BCC live @ High Voltage - London, UK

• ... a good couple of reviews and pix from the festival earlier today :cool1:

The crowd literally sing themselves hoarse... the chants for "more" ring out long after the band return to their dressing rooms.

http://www.planetrock.com/blogs/high-vol…57674/entry/15/

BCC showed during their hour-long set last night that they have the chops and the sounds to make a huge impact on the High Voltage crowd.

http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/…oltage-day-two/

"Burn"

• I arrived in London around 10:40 a.m. and took the National Express straight to Mile End. 10-15 minutes walk and I reached Victoria Park about 12:20 p.m. which was a good time to check in at the box office (no queues). Great weather, friendly people, I was really excited! :cool:

After a walk around the whole festival site with a bite to eat there was suddenly some action on the main stage. A short and a bit bizarre performance of an English tv presenter made some people move towards the main stage (me as well). I could spot the first people with BCC fan-shirts and when I could manage to stand at the right front of the stage for the first official act that was it. I wouldn't move away again until the performance of BCC to make sure I would have a good view when they come on stage.

The first band Heaven's Basement wasn't bad, I quite liked them. There was a lot of energy and passion in their performance that attracted me. The second band, the well announced newcomer Saint Jude wasn't really my cup of tea. There was no spark at all flying over to me. But then two very popular and well performing groups were getting the crowd into gear: Michael Schenker and Thunder. Both were great, Michael's brother Rudolf was joining in as well. It became more and more crowdy in front of the stage. Thunder was reunited for a last live performance that day - unless they decide different in the future. They were heavily acclaimed and the atmosphere couldn't have been better for BCC's gig.

You could feel the electricity in the air before the appearance of BCC. Hell, my adrenalin must have hit the roof. And then - finally - Glenn, Joe, Derek and Jason entered the stage and the crowd was steaming. What a welcome! No comparism to the live performance in Berlin, the people at HV were really going for it, it was so great to be part of this lot and applaude, scream and give the boys a hot welcome! And they started full power with a lot of joy as I could see on their faces. I was so happy I didn't know if I should just watch, dance, sing, take photos or a video or try to manage all somehow (which I did because I couldn't decide) :D

They played 9 songs (Black Country, One Last Soul, Crossfire, Save Me, Song of Yesterday, The Outsider, Man In the Middle, The Ballad of John Henry and - finally again - Burn). Joe is getting more and more rocky in his stage performance, also with the mimics, I really loved it. They were all four wearing dark glasses, even Derek, who seemed to have a little sunburn. That should have warned me because I expected London being cloudy and maybe rainy but I also caught the sun yesterday :o

Jason hit the drums pretty heavy and got the people going with applauding gestures - but he missed my direction at the end when he threw the drumsticks into the audience. ;)

And Glenn - well - I just love him. His singing, bass playing and performing is awesome to watch. I'd love to see more of his soul side live though (maybe on his next solo tour?) :heart:

Well, the one hour of BCC's performance was passing far to quick. When they left after "Burn" the audience was screaming for more. It was the only group of all groups I watched yesterday where the crowd was shouting: "We want more! We want more!". I was delighted. That was my absolute highlight of a shortly and spontaneously planned 1-day-trip from Berlin to London :)

Afterwards I went to the VIP area to try to get some autographs. But as I have seen earlier on there were more wannabes then actual stars in that area. I waited at the gate to the real backstage area where people were passing all the time but no sight of any BCC member. Finally I could persuade one guy with a backstage pass to try to get some autographs for me and handed him over a prepared BCC card and a pen. It took a while until he returned and he could get Derek's signature for me because he was still having dinner while the others had probably left. Sorry, Derek, for the disturbance and thanks a lot! Also thanks a lot to the unknown guy if he should ever read this :thumbup:

Back at the festival site I had some fish & chips with salt & vinegar (for me a must eat when I'm in the UK), watched the end of Jethro Tull on the prog stage and then I sat down behind the audience of the main stage and let the day run out by listening to Dream Theater. What a great day that was! I started to feel my flat feet and my sunburnt nose but I was happy. Afterwards it was another hour back to the airport and 5-6 hours wait until the first flight back in the morning. Had to stay on the floor because all seats were taken but my head was so full of music and pictures that I didn't really feel the hard stone floor. Today I nearly booked a flight to Manchester next saturday but then I stopped myself. Too much money for me to watch another concert of BCC. Now I'm waiting for Glenn's solo tour in autumn and maybe BCC again next spring? ;)

That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock... 8)

• You can now also find a good selection of pix from the festival here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooders…157627148399147

I just had a look and they are great pics! Thanks for posting the link :)
    And then I looked at the other galleries of this user and didn't trust my eyes:
    Joe Bonamassa was playing with Jethro Tull after the gig of BCC!
    Arrrrgh... what did I miss there? I only caught the last song of Jethro Tull (Aqualung) from far behind and listened to it without realizing who was all on stage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wooders…57627150320397/

• Black Country Communion received a glowing review from their appearance at High Voltage, both in the print and iPad editions of UK newspaper, The Times, today :cool1:

A couple of great shots of Glenn are included too :bouncer:

• And then I looked at the other galleries of this user and didn't trust my eyes:
    Joe Bonamassa was playing with Jethro Tull after the gig of BCC!

This is not a "Slow Train" - this is a "Locomotive Breath" ! :clapper:

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Thanks a lot for posting the interviews here! :thumbup:

So Derek will be going on a solo tour in February next year. Hmm...I hope it won't be too long for another BCC tour next year then ;)

Greetz, Heidi

• So Derek will be going on a solo tour in February next year. Hmm...I hope it won't be too long for another BCC tour next year then ;)

Greetz, Heidi

Black Country Communion keyboardist Derek Sherinian says the band wanted to go out on tour earlier than this year – but their management wouldn’t let them. He explains: “They felt it would be stronger if we had two albums of material to put together a set out of, and it would be a little bit stronger.” Now they’re established he says: “I think you can count on us coming out every year with a new album and then doing two or three months of touring.”

Derek on "rocknewsdesk"

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Some good coverage, letters and reviews in the latest issues of UK music publications, Classic Rock Magazine and Sonic Shocks, of the appearance by Black Country Communion at this years' festival :cool1:

• ... which reminds me trapezoid - this issue of Classic Rock is on its way to you. It's a great review too! ;)

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!