Deep Purple: The songs that BUILT rock tour.

• I've seen some stuff on youtube of the DP Orchestral tour. I must say: Something special and very good. They play almost in my backyard here in Arnhem on 2 december in a HUGE STADIUM and the pre-sale is going very well. First it was Gelredome XS (only half of the Gelredome for approx.a audience of 15.000). The XS capacity is almost sold out, so now they have new posters and DP seem to play for a complete Gelredome (audience 33.000). Wow: this band is still very popular. For the DP fans who are going to the shows the coming months: Would be nice if you post some reviews here. I will post a review of the Gelredome show in december :thumbup:

| Burn | Stormbringer | Come Taste The Band

• I'd love to see them in a huge venue. I've seen them in front of maybe 5-6,000 on their triple bill with Scorpions and Dio a few years back. But most of the time I've seen them in places like House of Blues or venues which accomodate maybe 1,000-1,500. On the one hand it's great because you're up close and personal to see such a great band. But on the other hand there are countless acts who are flavors of the month playing the enormo-dome down the street, and that's a slap in the face :mad:

• The Gelredome has an excellent aucoustic for such a huge venue. A great atmoshere for a historic band with an Orchestral GREATEST HITS (and more) set :thumbup:

• I'd love to see them in a huge venue.

Todd,
    This venue big enough for you? ;) This Monday, July 18, Purple played at the Arena di Verona. As you can see on the video, the place was really packed. Probably because it's their only concert in Italy this year.
    What bothers me: Look at the distance between audience and stage. I prefer smaller venues. When I go to a gig, I not only want to hear the band, I also want to see them. But of course it's impressive.

[ame='

di Verona 2011 - Highway Star (Deep Purple)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

• As both a musician and a music fan, I get different things from small venues and large ones. I love the 'in your face' feel of the small jam-packed ones with either the band/audience in your face (depending on which hat I'm wearing.) I remember seeing post-Glenn Trapeze in tiny gigs like the 76 club in Burton and Cleo's in Derby and it was great to so close to the band. But I can also enjoy the sense of occasion when you attend or perform in something which is more of an 'event', in a larger auditorium (or rain-lashed czech amphitheatre!!) :)

• I`ve seen DP 8 times since 1985 , usually in bigger city halls or outside venues, crowds always between 5 and 15.000. Remember the older days with Ritchie and the Lord on board :bow: yep and the newer ones with Steve :bow: and Don :thumbup: I think as long as Ian keeps it rolling it will roll... :claphands

• I never got to see Purple with Blackmore. My first time seeing them was on the 'Purpendicular' tour, and I've seen them about half-dozen times since. I have seen Blackmore twice, though - once on the Rainbow 'Stranger in Us All' tour and another with Blackmore's Night.

I've almost never passed up an opportunity to see someone from the Deep Purple family tree. I saw Gillan and friends at the Royal Albert Hall in 2006, and twice again on his US solo tour a couple years ago. I've seen Glenn Hughes about 25 times, Whitesnake maybe 5, Graham Bonnet twice, Joe Lynn Turner twice and Dio 5 times. I've also had the pleasure of meeting Hughes, Coverdale, Gillan, Dio, Morse, Don Airey, Roger Glover, Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner, John O' Reilly and Bobby Rondinelli of Rainbow. I've conducted interviews with half of them, as well as Bob Daisley and Tony Carey of Rainbow, Bernie Torme of Gillan...

So much great music, all related somehow by just a degree or two of separation!

• I think as long as Ian keeps it rolling it will roll... :claphands

Absolutely - or could you imagine Purple these days with another singer? :eek:
    But: One album and one tour with MK 3 - wouldn't that be heaven ! :clapper: Big Ian could spend an extended holiday in Armenia during that time... :p :D

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• I never got to see Purple with Blackmore.

Todd,
    Then you've really missed something. Ritchie IS a difficult character, on stage with Purple he was unbeatable. Steve Morse is a brilliant guitar player, no doubt about that. I was totally taken by him during the last tour. But somehow without Ritchie the fire has gone. Apart from that - Steve has never thrown angry stares or plastic cups filled with beer at Big Ian, much too behaved the man... :lol:
    I often wonder if Purple would still be around if Ritchie hadn't called it a day - I doubt it very much.

• Absolutely - or could you imagine Purple these days with another singer? :eek:
    But: One album and one tour with MK 3 - wouldn't that be heaven ! :clapper: Big Ian could spend an extended holiday in Armenia during that time... :p :D

great idea !! :thumbup: :thumbup: ;)

• Absolutely - or could you imagine Purple these days with another singer? :eek:

so , quickly ;) !!!! because "jon" is growing older, and i don't think he wants to be on tour again

• The present line up with STEVE and DON is good enough. Different than Mk 2, 3 or 4, but also very good. They do superb versions of the SONGS that BUILT ROCK and a few songs frow the STEVE and DON period. I think this line up will be the FINAL line up (with as it seems a great rock studio album next year "In Rock again"or "Machine Head 2" :)

• saw Roger Glover yesterday in backstage in Vienne.. ask him for the new album he says : next year !

we said : sérious ?

he answered with a little smile : maybe ! :D

• :cool: by seeing the video i must notice that i missed the sense of the orchestral perfomance playing a song like highway star.
    I don't want to hurt the feelings of DP/today fans but for me it sounds a lil of loosing drive and less agressivity to me. And the solo parts were cut to the minimal lines, although Steve's harmonizer effekt seems to be new.
    All in all Blackmore's furious playing is missing, and for me some concerts of mk3 would be heaven for me too, lioness.
    To see Glenn and David on one stage, incredible... :bouncer:
    regards
    Sigurd

• Mk3 again live will probably never happen again. I think Ritchie is NOT interested in DP anymore. JON is not into long tours anymore. And, how sad David is not singing live very well these days :( Mk3 WAS SUPERB. DP NOW is ENTERTAINMENT (with a few beers very enjoyable).

• saw Roger Glover yesterday in backstage in Vienne.. ask him for the new album he says : next year !
    we said : sérious ?
    he answered with a little smile : maybe ! :D

Sigh... bla bla bla... ;) Don Airey has released a solo album, Roger Glover has released a solo album, Big Ian is working on his next solo album. According to Mr. Gillan, you can't make money with albums these days.
    Maybe the esteemed Purple management should seek advice at the esteemed AC/DC management how to do it properly. They did quite well with their last album. Honestly, I'm quite sick and tired of this subject.

And how sad, David is not singing well these days.

Willem, with Glenn, Blackmore and Lordy on stage, who would miss Mr. Coverdale...? :D He could make a new video with his missus, wrapping her legs around lamp posts or whatever.

Sorry Glenn, I know he's your friend, but... lots of buts.

Stormy, you should have asked Roger if he knew that Gillian, his oldest daughter, performed at High Voltage as well - though on the beer stage...

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!