Black Country Communion - "2" reviews

• A mini-review worth checkin' out...

http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp…&nReviewID=7097

Black Country Communion succeed where other supergroups fail because as a unit all their strengths are complementary and the music gives them all a chance to shine and also because the production is such that the songs are the stars alongside the players. If this is what BCC are capable of I will be looking forward to where they can take it but I’m loving the here and now.

• The album seems to be a hit with my next door neighbours children, I had it on outside whilst gardening earlier and they were air guitaring next door to the music, which my neighbour shouted me over to go see!

You must have very understanding neighbours, Marie. Last year when I got BCC1 and played it loud, my neighbour next door thanked me for dusting off his flat! :lol:

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Today was about my seventh play and it's starting to click with me. This one is less commercial with no attempts at hits like One Last Soul or Sister Jane. What Classic Rock said is true. At first I really wanted to chuck it but you gotta stick with this one. BCC1 had the same effect. These are not instant oh my god albums like HTP or Sitkor, but they have their rewards eventually. Definitely digging it!

• You must have very understanding neighbours, Marie. Last year when I got BCC1 and played it loud, my neighbour next door thanked me for dusting off his flat! :lol:

......That was so thoughtful of you to do that! :lol: :lol:

Love and hugs xxx :)

• Today was about my seventh play and it's starting to click with me. This one is less commercial with no attempts at hits like One Last Soul or Sister Jane. What Classic Rock said is true. At first I really wanted to chuck it but you gotta stick with this one. BCC1 had the same effect. These are not instant oh my god albums like HTP or Sitkor, but they have their rewards eventually. Definitely digging it!

In my opinion - anything that is instant you go off it just as quickly as you like it, some of my favourite songs have turned out to be songs I used to skip on albums in favour of the catchy tunes when I first got them. Think I've narrowed down my fave between Save Me and Cold. The music on Cold is really dark and sinister and dramatic and I feel it interprets the subject of grief rather well.

Love and hugs xxx :)

• And Jason Bonham's drumming... one of my favorite things about BCC!!!! :claphands It's too bad the drums aren't mixed this good this good on Journey's Eclipse, but hmmm... Kevin Shirley split to work with Joe and BCC and didn't mix that one, darn.

• I received my copy of "2" on Friday. I was floored by the time "Man in the Middle" came to its close, enthralled by the time I had listened past "Save Me", blown away with the passing of "Faithless" and absolutely convinced by the close of "Cold" that this album was nothing short of a rock masterpiece, delivered by a band that has truly come to both meet and exceed all of the hype and expectations that come with being tagged as a "Super Group".

Beyond this, (and more for the purposes of this forum and this site), "2" might just possibly the finest album Glenn Hughes has worked on and delivered in the whole of his professional career.

Complete vindication and a seat at the head of the table are now and forever irrevocably his...

"2" fires on all 8 cylinders with the relish and gusto of a high-performance sports car, with the combined elements of songwriting, performance and production value all coming together nearly perfectly, the result being that the album has been brought to a level of quality that is nothing sort of a revelation in these quality Rock-challenged days of the 21st Century.

Albums like these just aren't made anymore, and while the ghosts of great bands such as Deep Purple, Free and Led Zeppelin lurk proudly and look on from within the shadows on this album, it is in no way derivative, rather it reflects the direct connection that its players and producer all share to that time when musical giants truly walked the earth.

Individual accolades are irrelevant and completely unnecessary here. Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Sherinian, Jason Bonham, Kevin Shirley - everybody knows what is brought to the table by this team and, unlike on the debut album, (which though a solid work, it was by its very nature a bit more halting and tentative in its overall sound and production), "2" brims with confidence and tight, purposeful execution by a group that can only be seen as the most serious of pros.

In other words: there isn't a rock musician on the planet, past, present or future who wouldn't be proud to put out an album like this one.

"2" is truly special in that it combines hallmarks of both legacy and the cutting edge, bringing them together in that rare double mix that results in something that is even rarer still in this day and age; an album of legend.

While I wish and hope for a successful and continued career for this band, both collectively and as individuals), were this album to be the last any involved were to ever record, it would stand as a monument in my opinion, a fitting release on which any of these artists could proudly hang their hat and then call it a day.

Let's hope that this is not the case...

-Marc Fevre
    Napa, CA

• A couple more solid reviews...

Hughes is really on top of his game at the moment. This really is as good as he's ever sounded. The performances of all four members of BCC on this album are absolutely top notch throughout. As for Hughes, considering the dark times he's been through during his career, it's great to see him finally receiving the acclaim he deserves. '2' is heartily recommended to any fan of classic rock and is a serious contender for best rock album of 2011...

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/cd-reviews/26-…n-2-mascot.html

"2" is a solid album from beginning to end, with no unlistenable music or weak songs. Hughes and Bonamassa are in good voice, and the four very talented musicians are solid and tight.

http://www.briangardiner.ca/rambleon/?p=1230

• EPIC Album!

Great individual performances by the guys, but gel brilliantly as a band.

The songs have become BCC songs [well slightly Joe B and Glenn solo songs!] rather than tribute songs to other acts which the first albums songs clearly were. With a hint of Led Zep of course!

The usual contenders for best tracks, Save Me, Cold,The Battle for Hadrians Wall, Faithless [that Southern Rock style guitar riff combined with Glenns bass groove is fantastic]. I also really like Little Secret and Crossfire, Crossfire reminds me of Glenn on The Way It Is.

I think Glenn sings fantastic on this album, as one of the published reviewers said, on the first album he belted it out to make the statement that he was singing ROCK. On 2 he sings to suit the songs. More confident and not needing to force the issue. Great stuff on the last three tracks. Of course his bass playing is fantastic too.

The other guys are sensational too, but i doff my hat to Jason in particular. Great, Great drumming!

A definite improvement from the first album. Thank you guys for a great, great album.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

• One of these moments - right now, actually! :cool:
    Since about 20 minutes ago, an enormous rain- thunder & lightning storm has had the city under its belt. It is pouring. I can barely see the other side of the street as I type this, and lightning is hitting the huge crane next to the opposite building (which is getting a new roof) almost every minute! :eek:
    I'm listening to Save Me on repeat. This is EPIC!!! :bow:

MEDUSA

• Another shorty from Austria's Kurier sunday (05 June) edition, and once again written by Guido Tartarotti. It's quite favourable, but actually he preffered the songs on the debut.

Translates roughly...

Second strike from the band formed around Glenn Hughes (ex- deep Purple) and guitar genius Joe Bonamassa. Hot and rocking, yet the songs on their debut album were catchier.

• In the latest issue (June 2011) of UK music publication, "Kerrang!" magazine, they give the album a glowing review and 4 K's :cool1:

Supergroup's stunning second album of blues rock chemistry... possibly betters their acclaimed debut.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!