Have I got this wrong?

• I'd been told earlier about a Manne bass for sale on ebay that GH had signed so decided to sign in and check it out.

I was a bit surprised to see just how much stuff was being sold at crazy prices because his signature was on some of the items. One guy wants £50 for a Burn album sleeve with a signature on it, acquired in Belfast recently, and it made me feel uncomfortable.

I've never sold a GH item, signed or otherwise ... it just wouldn't feel right. I've bought and given stuff to friends on here and around the globe who either couldn't get hold of something or couldn't afford to, and I've been very fortunate to have been given many wicked GH items myself over the years - memorabilia, programmes, videos, photographs, bootlegs, etc. As the GH family tree has grown then I've spread the word a bit further and shared what has been given to me, as have many others from gh.com and beyond.

So going off the prices being asked for some of the stuff on ebay, I reckon I could make a small fortune time and again. 'Selling it or trading it' as the link suggests on here is appropriate for true GH fans and friends but other than that ...

I don't even go to any gigs any more, or visit this site as much as I did, but if I ever decide to part with my GH collection of just about everything then I'd rather pass it around for free.

Am I having one of my many 'off' days and being over-sensitive, or can anyone see where I'm coming from?

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• I'm with you Shirl, all the way.

The other thing that p...es me off is the way people obtain concert tickets off well known websites, then minutes later have them up on e-bay at astronomical prices. They never had any intention whatsoever in going to the gig, just after the big buck! Makes my blood boil :mad: :mad:

Paul

• i agree with you Shirl - although it'll always continue with every artist going.

I've been lucky enough to get Glenn (and JJ Marsh and Jeff Kollman) to sign cds but i always ask for "to Wolfy" on them as i want them for ME!

Although i always seem to find an album Glenn is on that isnt signed! :lol: (my HTP ones for example and the recent DP reissues)

And as for tickets :mad: i know people at work who bought double the Take That tickets they needed and sold the extras to effectively get the ones they used for free and still turn a profit :eek:

i say more fool the ones paying over the odds. buy the live dvd for less than the original ticket price!

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• I've been lucky enough to get Glenn (and JJ Marsh and Jeff Kollman) to sign cds but i always ask for "to Wolfy" on them as i want them for ME!

I would never ever sell or trade an article from my collection! I have all my old Gillan photos signed by him, several singles, too - but sell them? Over my dead body!!!

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• I have a piece of junk Jackson bass that Glenn signed, thought about getting rid of it...but ah naw...I should just hang it on the wall somewhere instead. Having borrowed one last month I was reminded I should have stuck with Yamaha when I bought my second bass in 92...that Jackson sucked!

• Wolfy

Take That was what i was allluding too. I tried to get tickets for my wife, but couldn't get any. Within minutes they were appearing for sale on the auction sites at astronomical prices. A disgrace and a shame for the people who want to see the artist perform. The tickets are very expensive as it is. I will never pay for tickets in this way!

• I entirely agree with everything that has been said about those treasured and prized items that Glenn has been good enough to sign for us. Anything I 've received has always been signed for me personally. I would never seek to profit from the enjoyment and buzz I get from going to gigs and occasionally meeting my musical heroes. However, by the same token, some of the best gigs I've been to are ones I've had to pay a bit extra for. Yusuf Islam's Birmingham gig last year was amazing for me , especially from the vantage point of a few feet away. I probably paid a bit more than most people would be prepared to pay, but it was worth it . It's a choice thing isn't it? I don't for example pay for satellite/ cable TV, because I choose to spend that money on other things. I don't know how to get front row seat tickets, but I do know that if I really want them I'll have to dig deep. Like I said , it's a choice thing. Long live the tout I say, especially the nice one who helped make a memorable evening for me in Birmingham last year. I'll tell you now, I hope the BCC tickets go like hot cakes later this year and if I can't buy one in the conventional way, I'll be on the world's favourite auction site bidding for one !

• i think this can be probably a good discussion and i agree with most been written here. I think a signing is a personal present given from the artist to the fans. And what are you doing with a personal present. Selling or trading it?
    You keep it in a safe and warm place because its precious for you.

• I would never sell any of my signed stuff either. For me it is for my own collection and not to profit out of. I never want to abuse how fortunate I am that I am able to see Glenn at his shows and feel part of the family and all the extra signed items are my momentos of the good times. I look back at them and rememebr where I was when the items were signed and the story surrounding the adventure. I have some BCC album covers which got smudged during signings and I was going to try to rescue them and I want to give them back rather than have them at home because while ever I have them in my posession - well I could sell them on e-bay and don't want to feel as though anyone would think I would do that, which of course I would not in a million years. Glenn is a human and a person I believe in - not a franchise for others to feed off - if anything is to get sold it is official merch and offically signed items from the merch that is part of his business as a musician. Thats my two penneth anyway!

Love and hugs xxx :)

• or so it seems!!:eek:

I have generally kept e-Bay at arm's length...don't really have the patience to wade through all the stuff on there and deal with scammers and such...

Anything I have had Glenn sign...that is a time stamp if you like. I look at the CD cover and flash on what show I was at and, more importantly, who I was with. I get the feeling that a lot of people seem to think they can fund their retirements on the sale of signed CD's or other merchandise. You can often spot the professional autograph seekers...that whole concept escapes me totally.

I have a program and CD that John Entwistle signed for me when I saw him in Indianapolis back in 1996...has it been that long ago?? I would never sell it or just give it away...it will always be special to me.

OK...down from the soapbox! ;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Good time for me to chime in.
    I have LOADS of signed things that some people would pay ridiculous numbers to have; though we are talking mostly sports memorabilia with me. I have never and never will sell any of my items, and many are just in safe deposit boxes as I don't want to take any chance at them being damaged. Most of my items are "To Frank", but a few are not, and I could probably fund a nice retirement on them alone (Baseball w/ 32 HoFers on it including Cy Young, Babe Ruth, Christy Matthewson, Lou Gehrig...).
    As Bill said, it is the memory brought back when you got that signature or picture, not the item itself that has value. Passing these types down through your family is a way to keep the spirit alive (as obviously I would never have met Cy Young) and memories of great times always in your head.
    It is always great to remember where you were at a time in history that millions saw from afar, and you have a tiemless piece to always remember that you were there.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Thanks Marie. One of the things I have always cherished about most of my memorabilia is how I got them and being there to get it. Signed boxing glove from Ali and Frazier is a beauty; 2000 MLB All-Star Game signed baseball while on the field in Atlanta; Game puck from 2004 Stanley Cup to name a few.
    One of the best though is still the signed pics of Glenn that Grace brought to NYC in 2007 and the band signed for a select few people. A night at BB Kings which I will NEVER forget, thanks to all the great people from this board who made it special.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Hi Shirl and others, My Glenn (and related) autographs are very personal stuff I think. He gave it to me in person. It's precious. I know guys (in Germany who let the artist sign a big amount of albums and the are going to sell it). These so called fans spoil it for the real fans :(

What I like is when Glenn sings an album on LP format, he uses the whole cover for the autograph. So you got an LP with a very nice big autograph on it. It's like a present from a friend. That's very precious. Don't sell it.

| Burn | Stormbringer | Come Taste The Band

• .......What I like is when Glenn sings an album on LP format, he uses the whole cover for the autograph. So you got an LP with a very nice big autograph on it. It's like a present from a friend. That's very precious. Don't sell it.

When Mel Galley was kind enough to sign my Trapeze albums that Glenn had already signed, I had to apologize for there not being much room left for him to sign since Glenn took up the whole cover :lol:

Chip

• What I like is when Glenn sings an album on LP format, he uses the whole cover for the autograph. So you got an LP with a very nice big autograph on it. It's like a present from a friend. That's very precious. Don't sell it.

totally agree with this ! :thumbup:

• :thumbup:
    a handshake, even a straight look into your eyes, a spoken word, an autograph are gifts from the artist. It's a real thing and you can feel the power of souls, i think.
    If you want to drink from that source, you have to accept that the best things money can't buy.
    Of course i know that a nice sportscar or a 1959 Les Paul are no things i would rejekt.
    Good money for good work is o.k.
    I'm tryin'...

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!