Phoenix Rising - GT trailer

• That's correct, Eagle Rock... DVD & Blu-ray... in stores June 28th, 2011.

Ok thankd a lot David...so here we go again...can you please confirm format AND region of that Us edition?
    thanks in advance

• I will welcome this dvd into my collection.Liked the You Tube CTTB track by track album breakdown with GH & JL. Is Martin Birch interviewed?

Would have been great if David Coverdale had gone on camera ditto Paicey.I am presuming Johnny Bolin & Karen Ulibarri didn't get infront of the camera? Minor quibbles aside,I can't wait!

Regarding the audio the incomplete version of 'Coming Home' could/should have been used somehow. Glazosifo

• :D I got my delivery on saturday, it is fantastic material, though there is certainly a dark shadow overhelming all to see. I will go on studying that stuff later on.
    I don't agree fully with that Lordy tells: "CTTB was an amazing rockalbum with great moments, but it wasn't a real Deep Purple album", so like this he said.
    Ok when he's feeling this way he might be right for himself.
    And it was a bonehard time for the band, no question!
    But: He was the one who builded that bridge between Classik and Rock in the sixties, he is the God of Hammond Organ who accepts no musical limits, his words: "music with Freedom, Joy, Emotion"
    And that is really what CTTB is. It might not be a typical Purple album, but i would say it is a sparkling bright DP album.
    OK Ritchie was not playing on it, and for me Ritchie Blackmore was and is always my absolutly favorite Guitarist, no question :bouncer:
    But : Purpendicular was a fantastic rockalbum, which i played many times,
    and i acceptet that new countryvibe, but that one sounded much less like Deep Purple for me.
    OK enjoy the summer, and i'm waiting for BCC 2!!

• I don't agree fully with that Lordy tells: "CTTB was an amazing rockalbum with great moments, but it wasn't a real Deep Purple album", so like this he said.
    Ok when he's feeling this way he might be right for himself.

Well, don't forget that those Purple fans who grew up with MK2, expected the typical Purple sound with each new album. I can assure you that my face grew quite long when I put that record on the player the first time when it came out. Whatever I had expected from the new line-up - not this funky stuff! I only liked the album more because of the voices of DC and Glenn and not because of the music. It took me a long time to adjust to that. That's why the title is so appropriate - "Come Taste the Band". And the reviews weren't so positive either at that time.
    Although CTTB is not among my fav 3 albums, I do like it and I see it with different eyes today.
    The real Purple sound however only returned with "Perfect Strangers". And I doubt very much that the reunion would have been so successful if they had carried on in the MK4 style! Apart from that, it's not Gillan's singing style.
    So I fully agree to what Lordy said!

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• :cool: lioness, now let me tell you what i've found on CTTB also very important for me.
    Lordy did such a unbeatable great work on CTTB.
    At first the hammond sound on Lady Luck, right between the eyes!
    Remarkable the things he did on "Love Child", "This time around",
    "You keep on moving"! One of my favorite hammondsolos from Jon Lord, Purple at its best!
    Agree with you that "Perfect Strangers" is a typical DP sound, perhaps the most typical song after "Smoke on the water", and i love it.
    Well, my favorite Purple is mkIII, although my favorite DP song is
    "You Keep on moving", long time it was "Child in Time" from "In Rock".

regards
    Sigurd :bouncer:

• Got my DVD + cd package today. Awesome material. But untill just now I didnt know a blu-ray edition is also available. I suppose Amazon is the next website I visit... :)

But hey... I do have the reproduction of the Deep Purple 1976 mag which doesnt come with the Blu Ray edition... phew... now Im happy again :thumbup:

• I remember from teh CTTB EPK some studio footage...for those who have seen Phoenix rising...is that footage included?

• Here's my review at Get Ready to Rock It's a cracker! Buy buy buy!

• Thanks for your last post David! I guess you are in touch with the producers...can you ask them what´s the origin of the Sundbury band footage?
    thanks

• I picked up the new DVD yesterday, and sat down to watch it this afternoon. Halfway through it, I decided that the title is not really accurate. It should be called something like Phoenix Rising: The Resurrection & Fall of Deep Purple, Mk III & IV. The focus of the documentary is split between Mk III and Mk IV, beginning just prior to the demise of Mk II, which featured Ian Gillan and Roger Glover.

The interview segments with Jon Lord and Glenn Hughes are quite candid, and they're interspersed between some compelling archival footage both familiar and unfamiliar to this viewer. One thing I noticed about Glenn's interviews is that he comes across with a genuine humility which often takes a backseat in promotional interviews for BCC or solo projects. Glenn comes across here as a real guy, not a rock star. Jon Lord makes some interesting assertions about his dwindling faith in the band starting around the time of Stormbringer, even going so far as to suggest that he should have left the band when Ritchie Blackmore did. I wish Ian Paice had been involved in the documentary in some way, as he and Jon Lord were together in Paice-Ashton-Lord and Whitesnake. Even though Paice has remained active in the reunited Gillan lineup of Purple, surely he could have spoken for a few minutes on-camera about that earlier era of the band. Same with Coverdale - even though he prefers to look forward rather than dwell on the past, it might have behooved him to contribute at least a brief statement to represent his thoughts on the band he was such an integral part of. Instead, the only acknowledgment of Coverdale's position is the disclaimer that the opinions expressed by Hughes and Lord do not reflect those of Coverdale.

In the end it's a fascinating documentary, not without its flaws, but frankly part of me is pleasantly surprised it was given a release at all. There are some nice bonus features and two fairly lengthy booklets included. Well worth the purchase price, if you ask me.

And although Glenn is someone who prefers to always look forward to the next thing, I'm very appreciative that he pauses now and again to acknowledge his past - whether with remasters of Stormbringer, Come Taste the Band or this documentary - and share with the rest of us his insights into an era so integral to who he is as an artist today.

• FINALLY got 'round to watching my copy of Phoenix Rising....when our cable tv went out last night. More 'rockumentaries' should be this 'candid'!!! Liked the two (what seemed to be) 'opposing' comments from Glenn and Lord.....just wished Coverdale had 'found time' to be involved with this production! Loved the Trapeze 'footage'....wish there was more!! From the 'Trapeze-logo back-drop' (and Glenn's hair and clothing) I'm guessing it was taken from the shows after DP folded.....wish there was MORE!!! :bow:

• I just watched the dvd this afternoon. There was a lot I didn't know like the terrible experience in Indonesia. Gave me goose pimples listening to Glenn's description of what was happening there :eek:

All in all both side of views (Jon's and Glenn's) gave a good review of what was going on with the band members that time. Additional views of Ian Paice and David Coverdale would have made the documentary complete but I'm pretty satisfied with the way it is.

Some people keep asking why drugs are so common in showbiz and music biz and I think Glenn is answering this question pretty well. His looking back to cocaine addiction sound very straight and honest to me. No bulls**t, no false excuses, just describing the way everything happened. Very rare that a documentary can show how close high triumph and high fall can be.
    Big thanks to Jon and Glenn to open the closet again and let us participate. Makes me understand even more why Glenn doesn't want to look back in life. What has happenend, happened, and now is now.

That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock... 8)

• FINALLY got 'round to watching my copy of Phoenix Rising....when our cable tv went out last night. More 'rockumentaries' should be this 'candid'!!! Liked the two (what seemed to be) 'opposing' comments from Glenn and Lord.....just wished Coverdale had 'found time' to be involved with this production! Loved the Trapeze 'footage'....wish there was more!! From the 'Trapeze-logo back-drop' (and Glenn's hair and clothing) I'm guessing it was taken from the shows after DP folded.....wish there was MORE!!! :bow:

Glenn's pants must be the ones given to him by Bowie ;)

Speaking of the Trapeze back-drop...that baby will be in my possession this October :clapper:

Chip

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!