Glenn's Autobiography

• not sure if this little snippet should be posted in the Glenn in the studio thread or here (from Joel Mciver's blog): "Glenn Hughes' autobiography -- which I've been co-writing since 2006 -- will be out at about the same time, with a major surprise for Glenn's fans accompanying it."
    So what is the major surprise?!?
    (and no, i don't think he was referring to the price!!!)
    Is it the exclusive 10" vinyl?
    Could it be the launch of the "supergroup"?

Any ideas?

PJ

• Crystal Karma, you're right about the craftsmanship that will be going into the book. In effect, it will be a work of art. It's just that the majority of us here can't afford to be art collectors. So it's taken the wind out of our sails.

I'm sure Glenn would love to play gigs next year and have a number of people approaching him afterward with feedback about the book, and a copy of his book to sign. I'm sure Glenn would enjoy doing book signings at a place like Hatchard's in London, or Amoeba in LA. But with the edition being offered, that won't happen.

So again, here's hoping that a mass market edition is also being planned - whether via a major publishing house, an independent publisher, publish-on-demand, a Pink Cloud edition or what have you. And David, please don't think I'm asking you to comment again about a future edition - I know if and when there's news to announce, you'll get it out to us :)

Cheers...Todd

• if i remember right doesnt christian work with books? if he does im sure he would be able to shed more light on this subject- im waitng for his responce -chris help again!!!!!

• Yes I do, Tony :)

Yet with only the FORULI Edition(s) being confirmed, all I could add is speculation.

You really have to take these FORULI Editions exactly as what they are. They are collectors pieces. Every single copy. Nothing that you buy in the shops. Like Jerome said, pieces of art.
    Most buyers are not even reading them! :D I'm not joking here. A good part of them might even turn up on eBay and at auctions again soon after the Limited Edition has sold out.

Even big UK publishers like Penguin have produced comparable Limited hand-bound Editions in the past (e.g. The Penguin Designer Classics series - I once even owned one of these - beautiful), a little cheaper though than Foruli's since Penguin are really really big (and Foruli ain't) and they own the copyright of a comprehensive back catalogue from which they can choose almost at random.

Glenn and his co-writer are probably only licensing to Foruli for this Limited Edition, and might already be shopping the book at large Publishing Houses such as Random House - one of Random House's many imprints would be my first joice as the publisher of a mass market edition of this book.

But as I said - at this point, this is all just speculation.

Rest assured, I've been watching and waiting for any news bits on this from publishers and distributors worldwide too ;)

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• The Regular limited edition of Glenn Hughes’s book is now up on amazon.co.uk at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Near-Deat…61130896&sr=1-3

It is also now up at amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Near-Death-Rebirth-Rock/dp/1905792050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261132391&sr=1-1

The price is incorrect on amazon.co.uk – it is currently £300, not £350 (although it will be rising to that price on publication). In the spirit of Christmas, the publishers are offering a special discount on pre-orders for members of the Glenn Hughes Fan Forum.

Anyone who orders a copy of the Regular Limited Edition directly from the publisher by emailing sales@foruli.co.uk and quotes the code ‘Stormbringer’ will qualify for a discount and they will supply the book to them for £270 including worldwide shipping ie: a saving of £80 off the price it will be on publication.

There is a distinct possibility that they will include a special secret something in the set purely for people who order using this offer. There is no point in anybody asking them what it is though, as it would not be a secret then! This offer will expire at midnight GMT on Monday, January 18th, 2010. Books will be shipped in Summer 2010.

The publishers have not made this offer elsewhere - this is an exclusive offer ONLY for Glenn Hughes Fan Forum members,
    so take advantage of it before it's too late!

The Regular Limited Edition will be hand bound in synthetic snakeskin, to match a pair of boots Glenn used to own (you can see them in the image displayed below). It will be presented in a handmade slipcase, which will also contain a 10” record pressed on top quality black 180 gsm vinyl. The record will be a six track EP of all new tracks specifically recorded for this release. One of the tracks will be a previously unreleased song by Glenn Hughes, and will be exclusive to this EP. And when they say exclusive, they mean it! This recording will not be released elsewhere for at least 20 years!! The only way to obtain it will be on the 400 black vinyl records included with the Regular Limited Edition or the 100 white vinyl records included with the Special Limited Edition.

The publishers' know there has been some speculation, so they would like to make it clear that if there is a mass market edition of the book there will be no CD with it. The ONLY way to get hold of this EP will be with the limited edition books.

ghdp74_bookdiscount.jpg

• Martin - have you sorted out my Christmas present yet?

Love and hugs xxx :)

• Just a reminder (since there's a deadline involved) and for those that missed this Glenn Hughes Fan Forum exclusive offer earlier...

• Just a reminder (since there's a deadline involved) and for those that missed this Glenn Hughes Fan Forum exclusive offer earlier...

The Regular limited edition of Glenn Hughes’s book is now up on amazon.co.uk at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Near-Deat…61130896&sr=1-3

It is also now up at amazon.com at:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Near-Death-Rebirth-Rock/dp/1905792050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261132391&sr=1-1

The price is incorrect on amazon.co.uk – it is currently £300, not £350 (although it will be rising to that price on publication). In the spirit of Christmas, the publishers are offering a special discount on pre-orders for members of the Glenn Hughes Fan Forum.

Anyone who orders a copy of the Regular Limited Edition directly from the publisher by emailing sales@foruli.co.uk and quotes the code ‘Stormbringer’ will qualify for a discount and they will supply the book to them for £270 including worldwide shipping ie: a saving of £80 off the price it will be on publication.

There is a distinct possibility that they will include a special secret something in the set purely for people who order using this offer. There is no point in anybody asking them what it is though, as it would not be a secret then! This offer will expire at midnight GMT on Monday, January 18th, 2010. Books will be shipped in Summer 2010.

The publishers have not made this offer elsewhere - this is an exclusive offer ONLY for Glenn Hughes Fan Forum members,
    so take advantage of it before it's too late!

The Regular Limited Edition will be hand bound in synthetic snakeskin, to match a pair of boots Glenn used to own (you can see them in the image displayed below). It will be presented in a handmade slipcase, which will also contain a 10” record pressed on top quality black 180 gsm vinyl. The record will be a six track EP of all new tracks specifically recorded for this release. One of the tracks will be a previously unreleased song by Glenn Hughes, and will be exclusive to this EP. And when they say exclusive, they mean it! This recording will not be released elsewhere for at least 20 years!! The only way to obtain it will be on the 400 black vinyl records included with the Regular Limited Edition or the 100 white vinyl records included with the Special Limited Edition.

The publishers' know there has been some speculation, so they would like to make it clear that if there is a mass market edition of the book there will be no CD with it. The ONLY way to get hold of this EP will be with the limited edition books.

ghdp74_bookdiscount.jpg

Hint hint Martin - it's my birthday before the deadline of the limited offer expiry which is 18th Jan 2010.........

• The record will be a six track EP of all new tracks specifically recorded for this release. One of the tracks will be a previously unreleased song by Glenn Hughes, and will be exclusive to this EP. And when they say exclusive, they mean it! This recording will not be released elsewhere for at least 20 years!!

This is the part that annoys me more than anything. I've collected everything I could get that Glenn's been on from the earliest days of Trapeze including spending a small fortune buying cds that he only sings one or two tracks on as a guest artist. This is because the music is what matters most to me. However, this price for 6 tracks is ridiculous. I know that there is a high quality book with them, but it's not a sufficient inducement to pay that price!

• This is the part that annoys me more than anything. I've collected everything I could get that Glenn's been on from the earliest days of Trapeze including spending a small fortune buying cds that he only sings one or two tracks on as a guest artist. This is because the music is what matters most to me. However, this price for 6 tracks is ridiculous. I know that there is a high quality book with them, but it's not a sufficient inducement to pay that price!

If only 1 songs is by Glenn who did the other 5? :confused:

• This is the part that annoys me more than anything. I've collected everything I could get that Glenn's been on from the earliest days of Trapeze including spending a small fortune buying cds that he only sings one or two tracks on as a guest artist. This is because the music is what matters most to me. However, this price for 6 tracks is ridiculous. I know that there is a high quality book with them, but it's not a sufficient inducement to pay that price!

Andrew, I find it gratifying that I'm not alone on this....I also have spent a small fortune collecting Glenn's 'recorded output'.....beginning with Trapeze (before and after)!! :thumbup:

• Totally agree. Finally some more people who have the guts to speak it out loud. After all, if you release an autobiography or a book in general, you wanna sell it. At least that is what I thought ....what sales can one imagine with such a price policy?? Sorry, I dont get it. Maybe Im not rich or worshipping my artist enough to even sell my house just to get every snippet of my "beloved artist". Or maybe just not stupid enough ...

In case some people here dont realise, but we, the fans, also have commitments and plus to that we surely DONT listen to Glenn only that we would spend all our money just for him. We listen to a lot of bands and great musicians out there and even tho we like them a lot, they are not "God" for us or the center of our world.

Everyone who spends 300 pounds (or more) for a book (no matter in what it is wrapped or handmade or alienmade or whatever ...) seriously has lost touch with this world. At least to me. Im a fan for 30 years now but this is just too much. If we would have spring, I would have said it must be an April's fool joke.

• Just want to say that these initial releases are special limited editions and will probably have a significant value in the future and could be looked at as an investment.

We pays our money and takes our choice. I am sure there will be a general release of the book in the future at wholesale price point.

At the end of the day the written content will probably be the same so its a game of paitence or pay the money for the available limited editions.

• Totally agree. Finally some more people who have the guts to speak it out loud. After all, if you release an autobiography or a book in general, you wanna sell it. At least that is what I thought ....what sales can one imagine with such a price policy?? Sorry, I dont get it. Maybe Im not rich or worshipping my artist enough to even sell my house just to get every snippet of my "beloved artist". Or maybe just not stupid enough ...

In case some people here dont realise, but we, the fans, also have commitments and plus to that we surely DONT listen to Glenn only that we would spend all our money just for him. We listen to a lot of bands and great musicians out there and even tho we like them a lot, they are not "God" for us or the center of our world.

Everyone who spends 300 pounds (or more) for a book (no matter in what it is wrapped or handmade or alienmade or whatever ...) seriously has lost touch with this world. At least to me. Im a fan for 30 years now but this is just too much. If we would have spring, I would have said it must be an April's fool joke.

As I've said before, this first incarnation, is not for everyone, but right now this is what is being offered. If and when a regularly published edition is ready, that will be announced here on the web site. Of course, "regular" editions are being given consideration, they're just not ready now, that is all. What is ready now for announcement, are these limited edition's and so they're being announced and available for pre-order for those fans that want it.

Again, an announcement here will follow when alternative edition(s) are forthcoming. It would really help if you guys would read this thread in it's entirety, it would save you a lot of grief ;)

Cheers :cheers:

• I just e-mailed to order my copy! Thanking Martin, my mum and dad and friends who all gave me money for my birthday yesterday to put towards this so I can have it! It's so appreicated!!!

All the long hours (a lot of it unpaid too) I have to put in at work as a consequence of the economic climate mean I don't get time to spend my spending money all that often so it's nice to spend it on something special as a reward for all the long hours I do and the lack of free time I get.

I'm not being flippant about the cost of this as I've contributed birthday money towards it also and would possibly wait for the regular edition too but I'm happy that I can order this at this time and I know it will be worth it!

Also just to let you guys know that I had a super speedy response from Foruli regarding reserving my copy and the process was so easy so anybody wanting to place the order using the Stormbringer offer code by emailing them by 18th Jan to sales@foruli.co.uk - you'll have a smooth transaction!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!