Whatever happened to Pete Mackie??

• Got the trivia bug happening tonight...

If it wasn't for a quick mention in the Pete Frame Rock Family Trees that I have...I would never have known about this gentleman who had a brief membership in Trapeze just before Glenn joined Deep Purple in mid-1973. The band had briefly expanded to a quartet with Glenn switching to guitar and a young bassist named Pete Mackie joining the band. You never see any mention of him in any of the Trapeze bios at all....but his tenure in the group is detailed in some depth in the booklet for the Deep Purple 6-CD box set "Listen Learn Read On".

Is he a member of that fraternity of musicians like Jimmy Nichol, Mick Strickland, Kenny Weiss and Eric Wrixon; someone who had that fifteen minutes in the spotlight with a famous (or nearly famous!) band...only to disappear into the mists of time?

I am curious..does anyone have any information?

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

Yours In The Funk

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• If my "notes" are correct, prior to joining Trapeze, both Pete Mackie and Pete Goalby (vocals post Glenn-era), used to be together in Wolverhampton band, Fable.

Goalby made his live debut with the band at a show in 1978 as support for Humble Pie. Later that year, they went on to support Nazareth.

During the same year, Dave Holland left to join Judas Priest - a stay that lasted until 1990 and included platinum albums such as 'Screaming For Vengeance' and 'Turbo'.

• Hello Paul..thanks for posting that demo!

I shouldn't be surprised that Pete Goalby and Pete Mackie would have another "Trapeze connection"! From what I have read, Pete Goalby works for a music company nowadays, I believe it is a company that custom builds guitars. Of his stint with Uriah Heep, which ended through a combination of record company/managerial problems and the band's grueling touring schedule, Goalby stated that he loved the band but the gig really beat the stuffing out of him. I still enjoy his work with the latter day lineup of Trapeze.

And what about Pete Frame then? I LOVE both of the Rock Family Trees collections!! Being an inveterate liner note junkie, I found Frame's meticulously researched text, and intricately drawn family trees to be thoroughly engrossing. And he does it all with a sly wit and NEVER takes things too seriously. His personal biases do come through now and again but it always seems to be with a nod and a wink. Regarding the "we'll play ANY country" mindset of Uriah Heep, Frame writes; "If Michael Palin visited there, you can bet your arse that Heep got there first!"

Keep it up Pete Frame....you are the man! claps.gif

Yours In The Funk

Yours In The Funk

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!