• This is simply a topic I wanted to put out there for discussion. I would love to hear Glenn update some of the old Trapeze songs. I just love all those old songs, as I am sure all of you do, but be honest those old recordings are just horrible. The cd versions of each album really show the limitations of the recordings of that era. I would love to hear a new recording of Black Cloud, Touch My Life and in particular, Keepin' Time. Even if they were bonus tracks somewhere. JJ and Ed Roth could work wonders on them. Maybe invite Mel to play on them. Glenn has redone so many Purple songs, Highball Shooter, Holy Man, ect. Why not the Trapeze stuff ???? I know he is flowing with creative ideas for new material, but still, I think it would give new life to those songs.
    I particularly enjoy the live version of Way Back to The Bone on the U.S. Addiction disc.
    I am looking forward to Medusa on Soufully.
    Live might be as close as we get.......What does everyone else think ????????

• You won't be disappointed with Medusa and Seafull on 'Soulfully Live'. Breathtaking!

It would be a nice idea (perhaps to be featured on a Pink Cloud release someday) to rework one or two of them with a modern twist, although perhaps we might get some Trapeze influences on some of the new material we're getting next year...but I don't know. There was a Shape 68 song he performed live last year, that sounded like a 21st Century version of what might of been a Trapeze song!

That's the cool thing about Glenn, he doesn't forget his roots and you can hear their influences on a lot his material that's been released the past few years.

• Good idea. That would be interesting. Like you said Smithy, it seemed to be the trend there for a while with Highball Shooter, Holy Man, etc.
    I really love the Trapeze stuff. That was my first exposure to Glenn, way back in early '70's......classic music, in a classic time.

Chip

Chip

• The first two Trapeze albums do have a rather thin sound and the trio format of Medusa really suffers as a result. Having Neil Slaven take over production duties on You Are The Music was a big improvement and Glenn has said that his singing really took a leap forward on that record. All the touring between the recording of Medusa and You Are The Music couldn't have hurt either!

Mel's guitar tone took a few records to really come into its own too....listen to his solo on Good Love which was recorded for what would have been their fourth album and he has that tone that would become his trademark.....listen to his intro on Glenn's "Destiny" from Play Me Out and you get the idea.

Trapeze was truly special....the fact that Glenn revisits those songs is testament to that!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

Yours In The Funk

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Anyone here catch Glenn in Texas a few years ago? He did a thunderous version of "Black Cloud". He's done plenty of new studio versions of Burn, You Keep On Moving, Holy Man and Highball Shooter, like you said. It'd be really cool to hear him revisit a Trapeze classic - and no, Coast To Coast doesn't count!

WT

• Don't know if everyone's aware but the reason for the poor sounding Trapeze albums (which are not all that poor-sounding IMO) is that the master tapes were lost and the discs were mastered from the albums themselves. All in all the idea of Glenn re-doing some old Trapeze numbers is a good one!!! I often wondered how the Hot Wire album would've turned out if Glenn was involved/

• Right on, Chuck. Hot Wire is my favorite non-GH Trapeze album. "Midnight Flyer" was a huge hit in St. Louis when it came out. The Hold On album is a strong release also.

Chip

Chip

• I hear that Chip!!

When I lived in San Antonio back in the 80's, tracks like Back Street Love and Midnight Flyer got a lot of airplay on 99.5 KISS FM. I have a memory of going out clubbing one night in 1991 during a visit to San Antonio after I had moved to San Francisco and took the job with United Airlines. I pull into the parking lot at Sneakers, the big rock n' roll club in town...it's Saturday night and the Joe Anthony show is on...he introduces Back Street Love and I had to sit in the car and listen till the song was over!

I willl always associate Trapeze with living in San Antonio....I heard them for the first time on the radio there courtesy of Tom "T-Bone" Scheppke and his Sunday morning KISS Klassics radio show.

Yours In The Funk

Yours In The Funk

• Bill, your story is similar to mine.

While still in junior high, I had switched from listening to an FM station in St. Louis called KSLQ, which played top 40 kind of stuff, to K-SHE 95 "Real Rock Radio". On K-SHE I heard for the first time the likes of Camel, Nektar, etc.. One of these bands of course was Trapeze, which I fell in love with immediately. Rock with a whole lotta funk thrown in!

Like your station in San Antonio, K-SHE still plays Trapeze regularly and also on their Sunday morning show, "K-SHE Klassics". Their Klassics by Trapeze include, "Black Cloud", "Your Love Is Alright", "You Are The Music..", "Midnight Flyer", and "Don't Ask Me How I Know". They even played "Lay Your Body Down" off of FNO a few times when that album came out.

There's nothing like listening to the radio and suddenly hearing the Voice Of Rock coming out of the speakers!!!

Chip

Chip

• Oh man....all hail the late great KISS 99.5 FM!!

The station is sadly no more but Tom T-Bone Scheppke is still on the air on the old KZEP 104.5 FM, or whatever their call letters are nowadays. Coming from NY and what was supposed to be great rock radio, KISS 99.5 FM was a breath of fresh air...the artists I was exposed to in depth ( other than the "usual suspects you always hear..) for the first time included Deep Purple, Whitesnake, UFO, Budgie, Saxon,Triumph,The Scorpions,Moxy,Legs Diamond,Rush,The Michael Schenker Group,Gary Moore...the list is endless!

And Hughes Thrall got a lot of airplay in the form of "The Look In Your Eye" and "I Got Your Number".

Joe Anthony passed away in the early 90's; he was the self proclaimed "Godfather Of Rock N' Roll!!"

Which reminds me..I saw on the news that Scott Muni one of the pioneers of FM rock radio in New York City passed away recently. He got his start in the glory days of AM radio and was on WNEW 102.7 FM for what seemed like 15 minutes shy of forever!

We will miss ya Scottso!!

Yours In The Funk

Yours In The Funk

• Quote from Chip

Right on, Chuck. Hot Wire is my favorite non-GH Trapeze album. "Midnight Flyer" was a huge hit in St. Louis when it came out. The Hold On album is a strong release also.

Chip

I agree!! Hot Wire is also my favorite non-Glenn Trapeze disc. Would have loved to have heard Glenn do "Turn It On".:thumbup:

Let's Kick It With A Tasty Groove :guitarmet

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!