• Don't know if this was posted here before but i'm really looking forward to it, hopefully we will see some live dates from this trio in the US!!

http://www.bravewords.com/news/130145

It's Official: New Band BLACK COUNTRY To Feature Glenn Hughes, Jason Bonham, Joe Bonamassa

Rock Hard

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 16:55:41 EST

Drummer Jason Bonham has revealed to Spinner, that he's working on a new project called BLACK COUNTRY with legendary bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (ex-DEEP PURPLE, BLACK SABBATH) and guitarist Joe Bonamassa.

"I just literally went into the studio last week for two days with one person I'd done an album with before, very quickly, and then the other was a friend of my father's I got to meet later on, Joe Bonamassa and Glenn Hughes, and we're working on a new project with a working title of Black Country," Bonham says. "We just went in with [producer] Kevin Shirley (LED ZEPPELIN, IRON MAIDEN) and played riffs and just jammed for two days. And that's really exciting."

• Bonham says the new group, which takes its name from the industrial area in England that he and Hughes come from - is in fact a band. "We're actually recording an album, literally in that process of jamming it out and editing and putting together and going, 'Yeah, that's really cool,'" he says. "Joe just wanted to play guitar so with Glenn on bass and vocals, it's a power trio."

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• If this is confirmed by Glenn then Iam real excited, Agreed Keith, this will be very speciel, I was not familiar with Joe's work but having been on "You Tube" his stuff is great, he really is the real deal, vocal harmonies will be great.

Love his playing style, can see this working great with Glenn, Jason will be a great powerhouse behind them ,looking good hope they get all the exposure nessesary to propel the onto the big stages of the world!!!

Love the name, bet David's busy on the new web site as we speak !!!!!!!

:claphands

• I thought this was supposed to be a supergroup!!
    No disrespect to Joe, but I'd only ever heard his name on this site!! I thought that the term 'Supergroup' meant that all the band members were pretty much household names. I'm really into all kinds of music and the name Bonamassa means nothing... no CD sales!
    Don't get me wrong Glenn always puts out top notch music and I expect this to be a first class release, but selfishly I wanted a BIG name guitarist that would put Glenn back at the top of the charts where he belongs!

This is gonna be another great Glenn Hughes album

Sorry for my negative thoughts... I am looking forward to it though!

• Nothing official is announced, so for now all what this is... is pure speculation by whoever & wherever you're reading things. It's no secret that somethin' is a brewin' :) but remember and as I always say, until all is revealed, nothing is final and official :D

So for now, it's still a 'work in progress' project; so have some patience and don't expect things to unfold completely for quite a while longer.

• Now this is the same kind of thing that's going on over at Joe's board!! Except they are saying that about Glenn. I put my 2 cents in there and I'll do it here. I felt as you do until I really gave this guy a listen. He is fantastic!! Listening to this guy makes me want to conjure up all kinds of thoughts about the possibilities in all this. As to his stature or lack thereof, you'd be surprised the following he has. He plays some decent sized venues and does sell CD's.

• I want to support David on that. I think it's fun to speculate and even claim we have the answer. It's always been this way on both boards. But we don't want to create pressure either. Whatever happens, it's gonna be worth waiting for :thumbup:

• Now this is the same kind of thing that's going on over at Joe's board!! Except they are saying that about Glenn. I put my 2 cents in there and I'll do it here. I felt as you do until I really gave this guy a listen. He is fantastic!! Listening to this guy makes me want to conjure up all kinds of thoughts about the possibilities in all this. As to his stature or lack thereof, you'd be surprised the following he has. He plays some decent sized venues and does sell CD's.

Hmmmm... I guess!
    I was kinda hoping to see Glenn back touring stadiums, although I do love the intimate club settings.

• Joe is doing some bigger venues than intimate clubs. Stadiums no. But almost nobody in rock is doing stadiums anymore. Hell even some big names are having a hard time with arenas and ampitheaters.

Plus where this is concerned, from the players involved this is not going to be "swill" for the masses. It will be real music and by it's very nature it won't be something the record companies will promote. But take Joe's following along with Glenn's and you have the potential for a very succesful touring situation and decent record sales in this day and age. Lets face it, this will be sucked up by the likes of us and our kind. The audience will just be larger and maybe quite a bit so.

• my two pence worth on Joe and the (un)official collaboration:

I've went to see Joe Bonamassa live after buying the sloe gin CD and he blew me away - brilliant. In many ways his live perfomances can be likened to Glenn's - professional, passionate, and breathtaking. He played at a fairly small venue in Norway back then - similar in size to the venues GH plays here.

In terms of exposure he IS well known amongst hard rock/blues lovers, although his relative youth means that only those who've latched on to new artists in the last 5 years or so will know of him. He is very much a rising star.

His music (especially standout cuts from his last two studio CD's) is played regulary on rock radio/blues shows in the UK (no disrespect to GH but he has certainly had more radio airtime these past few years than GH's solo output).

He plays venues that are a decent size in the UK (similar to the venues that Deep Purple play annually) and has a high enough profile to be able to tour regularly in the US.

His exposure in serious rock/blues media is high - so whilst he is not in the Premier League in terms of being "a celebrity" - he is a well respected (and immensly talented) guy - as his collaborations with Clapton, B.B.King etc testify.

As Classic Rock magazine wrote a few years ago "They’re calling him the future of blues, but they’re wrong – Joe Bonamassa is the present; so fresh and of his time that he almost defines it."

I'm excited about this project, and believe that, as well as creating some great music for us all to enjoy, and introducing JB's fans to GH's music and vice versa, it will help lift Glenn's profile in the UK and elsewhere..which is surely something all on this board would applaud!

Enjoy the wait!

PJ

• From Classic Rock Mag

More info has just been released on the new supergroup fronted by Glenn Hughes. Who else is involved? Read on…

The band is to be called Black Country, with Joe Bonamassa on guitar, Derek Sherinian on keyboards and Jason Bonham on drums.

The keyboard player is Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater/Alice Cooper).
    But if you read previous stories on the Classic Rock website (here and here) you probably had a good guess at the line-up already.
    Right now, they’re recording an album with producer Kevin Shirley.

• From Kevin Shirley's diary:

• This is going to be a great project! Can't wait to hear what they've come up with.

And for those complaining about how it's not a supergroup because they don't know Joe Bonamassa, realistically nobody in this band is a household name. They're known in certain circles, but beyond that not one of the members is currently widely known to the average joe like someone like Eddie Van Halen or Ted Nugent would be.

• not sure about Joe doing any of the vocals. He is ok doing his own solo songs, but would rather it was left to Glenn alone. Will just have to wait and see. Also, it is frustrating that it is likely to be end of the year, early next year before we get to hear it. Does Glenn have any plans to tour solo in the meantime?

• picture from http://www.rockportaal.nl

coincidentally? Bonamassa just released a solo album called Black Rock

The cat is out of the bag at Kevin Shirley's website

http://www.cavemanproductions.com/cavediary.htm

BLACK COUNTRY is the name of the band.
    Album out: late summer 2010

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!