Supergroups good and bad

• While we are speculating on Glenn's supergroup, I thought it would be fun to discuss some of those that have succeeded and failed to live up to expectation.

I suppose the first big supergroup was Blind Faith which was basically half of Traffic and Cream and known mainly for THAT album cover. The Firm was not one of Page and Rodgers finest hours.

So that I am not painting a dark picture here, there have been some major successes. Asia for example and more recently Chickenfoot of course.

The ones that work are those who don't try to "sound like" anything that's gone before. The jury's out on Them Crooked Vultures. I am listening to this stuff on our show and can't help thinking they sound like Ten Years After. So er sorry but I can't really see the point of that. Maybe it needs another album. Maybe not!

I reckon it makes a difference (and this also applies to reunions too) if the band members actually like each other.

All I hope is that Glenn is happy in his work. Glenn is is one of those people who people look to now for the verve. Apart from the timeless talent, it's that drive and a healthy humour which will inspire others whatever their previous backgrounds and reputations.

Having had the priviledge of witnessing Glenn behind the scenes, he is a wonderful motivator, with a generous respect for the talents of others and a dedicated professional. He expects nothing less than 100%. And this why this particular group will work whoever it turns out to be.

• Keith,

I think Cream was probably the first Supergroup, combining Clapton from the highly succesful Bluesbreakers 1965 album with the Rhythm Section of the Graham Bond Organization, every member being already a big name on the UK scene.

THE PAST

Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young) - yeah, one of the earliest Supergroups!

ELP are certainly another favourite, and the highly underrated U.K. of course! :thumbup:

I wonder what would have happened if Baby Face had ever gotten beyond jamming (-> Phil Lynott, Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Paice!) :eek:

There are actually some The Firm tracks I do enjoy. They had their moments, but the timing wasn't probably right.

Firm bass player Tony Franklin was in another kind of a Supergroup though - Blue Murder, with John Sykes and Carmine Appice :cool: Fanastic first album.

While I always thought that Asia, especially the first album were great :singer: GTR were very disappointing :sint1:

THE PRESENT

Supergroups have practically been non-existant for years. Yet with Chickenfoot, Them Crooked Vultures and more possible alliances on the scene, it seems like they are becoming en vogue again.

Terry Bozzio, Allan Holdsworth, Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto are currently touring. Another supergroup, huh! :bow:

And Steve Hackett and Chris Squire are still preparing a joint album and tour with Simon Phillips :cool:

And the mighty Transatlantic have just released their first album after a 10 year hiatus - that's Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Neil Morse (ex- Spock's Beard), Pete Trewawas (Marillion) and Roine Stolt (Flower Kings) FYI.
    Certainly a supergroup.

Quite some namedropping here. Looking forward to reading more thoughts and suggestions!

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• i've got the Firm album on vinyl! not listened to it in years.

Velvet Revolver - didnt like them as Weiland cant sing.

Temple of the Dog - for Soundgarden / Pearl Jam fans.

Brad - Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam plus amazing singer and songwriter Shawn Smith. not strictly a supergroup but 3 great albums.

The Traveling Wilburys - a bit bland for me.

The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson) - not my thing at all!

Liquid Tension Experiment - Portnoy, Petrucci, Rudess and Tony Levin.

Damnocracy - Sebastian Bach, Ted Nugent, Scott Ian, Evan Seinfeld, Jason Bonham.

Bad Company original lineup gets my vote. Even had a supergroup manager!

Lets not forget that Glenn was in the first reverse supergroup - Trapeze saw Glenn join Purple, Mel join Whitesnake, Dave join Judas Priest and Pete Goalby join Uriah Heep.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• The Traveling Wilburys were a fun band, but in my opinion suffered from the typical "produced by Jeff Lynne" sound on record. Some excellent songs there though - as you can expect from Messrs. Harrison, Dylan, Petty & Co. (and a Gary Moore guitar solo on She's My Baby :) )

Liquid Tension Experiment - that's basically Dream Theater going instrumental with Tony Levin instead of John Myung and without the terrible singer. I haven't listened to this in ages.

I liked the first Bozzio-Levin-Stevens (Steve Stevens of Billy Idol fame that is) album very much though, Black Light Syndrome. A typical Magna Carta Records Studio-only project, but one of the better ones! :thumbup:
    There was another one of these projects on Magna Carta Records, and I think it was called Explorer's Club? But this wasn't a real band, only a project in the studio.

And what about that band that Ted Nugent was in, around 1990? Damn Yankees, was it? A Supergroup? :huh:

And what about Mr.Big? Technically they were/are a Supergroup, or aren't they?

More Supergroups?

The New Barbarians
    A Gathering Of Minds
    Return To Forever

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Mr Big was definitely a supergroup. Sheehan and Gilbert were known for their amazing skill, Eric Martin had a solo career with a few minor hits and Pat Torpey was an active session drummer.

My favourite supergroup has to be Blue Murder. I'd love to see a reunion.

• Mr Big was definitely a supergroup. Sheehan and Gilbert were known for their amazing skill, Eric Martin had a solo career with a few minor hits and Pat Torpey was an active session drummer.

My favourite supergroup has to be Blue Murder. I'd love to see a reunion.

Hmm I know people with current and former ties to that camp. I will ask next time I see them if that is in the works. I did hear a reunion show was turned down but this was a year or two ago.

• Thanks for your interesting perspectives on the concept of supergroups folks. My comments back:-

I was one of the very few to have liked Audioslave. Well on reflection they made four good songs so I don't suppose that set the world alight. Cracking songs though. Cochise, Show Me How to Live etc

Yes I take your point about Cream, Chris but then again Led Zeppelin is a precluder to X Factor I guess with Jimmy Page in the Simon Cowell seat. Although you could argue that Zep were an "anti supergroup" because the New Yardbirds were the record company's supergroup and that was never going to work.

We played some Transatlantic on Sunday when our friends from Fireworks came into the studio. Phil Ashcroft was plugging this one and we agreed that there was some nice moments on there. Does Mike Portnoy ever go to sleep as his output is enormous!

And yep Velvet Revolver were a mess I have to say. A necessary mess though.

• Is that a clue, VR a nesesary mess. So, is a former VR member involved in the new supergroup, My guess, Matt Sorum is the drummer, Umm :)

• Oops no Mark 3. I didn't mean that. But I see where you are coming from. I was just referring to wolfy's comment about the singing. I doubt if the booze helped either. No I think VR was necessary because Slash has been off the road for some time and it was worth a throw of the dice by all concerned. It was all in the execution. Having said that, they did some decent songs too.

• New Music From Jimmy Page In 2010

There will finally be some new music from Jimmy Page next year.
    Talking to Sky News, the iconic Led Zeppelin guitarist said:
    “Next year, I have every intention of playing music live and making it — manifesting it. I’ve got it. I’ve got it there. I’ve got the music waiting. It just needs to be done. So that’s it. That’s what I’ll be doing.
    “It’s been two years since the O2 (the Zeppelin reunion show in December 2007). It’s time to do that.”

• Jimmy Page: As far as new music, yeah, I've got some new music. There's sort of little tastes and shades of it in the documentary. Bits. It's just a question of actually doing it now. Actually getting a project that I've had in mind for a while. I've just got to go and do it. Don't want to tell anyone about it. But, yes, I've got a big project I'm working on.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound…ack-white-talk/

:ghcp:

• ... back to Supergroups

I recently rediscovered the sole HSAS LP from 1984, featuring: Sammy Hagar, Neal Schon, Kenny Aaronson and Michael Shrieve, a short-lived supergroup that recorded a solid LP on very short notice (most of it was recorded live in the studio with overdubs added later).

They only played a short US Westcoast Tour before disbanding again, and MTV filmed one of the shows.

One of the album's highlights is their cover of A Whiter Shade Of Pale, mis-titled "Whiter Shade Of Pale" (sic!) - that's the version Marc Bonilla must have listened to a lot when he arranged his for the American Matador album, with Glenn on vocals of course.

[ame='

HSAS- Whiter Shade Of Pale- San Jose, Ca '84[/ame]

One to add to the list, eh.

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!