Come Taste The Band remaster

• Songs like "Lady Luck", "Gettin' Tighter", "Love Child", "This Time Around" were in from the start and stayed there, I believe. "I Need Love" was played early on and soon dropped: I imagine the multiple guitar parts on the studio didn't translate to the stage. "Drifter" was played in Tokyo of course and I do remember hearing a performance of "Dealer" from the US tour. "Comin' Home" was played at the Springfield show at the very least, too bad the whole performance didn't make it to tape.

And, lest we forget....a certain song that is a favorite of a certain axe wielding denizen of the list was played in Japan...c'mon you all know the one! ;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• "Now a rip-off....anyone here remember Robbie Dupree? You don't?? Ok, it has been a while and those of you outside the US probably never heard the record.....Around 1980 or so, he came out of nowhere with a record called "Steal Away". He gets to the chorus; "Why don't we steal away" and the keyboard player plays the lick from "What A Fool Believes" a huge hit for The Doobie Brothers a year or so earlier. Not content to stop there, he sings the bridge vocal in a dead-on ringer style of Michael McDonald.

I don't know if this is true but I heard he played a show in a club somewhere and after the show was over, walked into the dressing room to be confronted by the Doobies standing in a line with grim looks on their faces, vigourously smacking fists into open hands....OK I made that part up but you get the idea...;)

Ah yes Robbie Dupree.. of course I remember that one. He was very guilty of what you describe. Agreed.

• Considering the almost glacial pace that EMI took in preparing most of the Deep Purple remasterings..."Live In London" comes to mind, they have moved the preparation of the remastered "Come Taste The Band" is at a cracking pace. The DP site has the proposed cover art and a July release...it'll be here before we know it!

I have also browsed through the iTunes store and am amazed by how much of Tommy's stuff is available through them; all the TBA material, much of which I already have. And Glenn's catalog is well represented as well. I just moved all my CD's out of storage and was going through them in an attempt to organize them. A momentary panic set in when I was unable to locate my copy of "Play Me Out"....which, I believe, is now out of print. Before I got too crazed, I did find it....:eek:

Now..if I knew who walked with my vinyl copy of "Hughes Thrall" :mad:

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Songs like "Lady Luck", "Gettin' Tighter", "Love Child", "This Time Around" were in from the start and stayed there, I believe. "I Need Love" was played early on and soon dropped: I imagine the multiple guitar parts on the studio didn't translate to the stage. "Drifter" was played in Tokyo of course and I do remember hearing a performance of "Dealer" from the US tour. "Comin' Home" was played at the Springfield show at the very least, too bad the whole performance didn't make it to tape.

And, lest we forget....a certain song that is a favorite of a certain axe wielding denizen of the list was played in Japan...c'mon you all know the one! ;)

Bill from what i can remember of the '76 Bloomington/Normal concert, Tommys' sound was well balanced with Glenn and Jon Lords' mix. So that helped with the missing parts. What really stuck out was Ian Paice' bass drum. I couldn't get over how loud it was :eek: P.S. still one of my favorite drummers to this day.

• Planet Rock reports that the (now) 35th anniversary reissue of Come Taste The Band is due out on October 25th. The album will be a double CD package, with first disc containing remastered version of the album along with the single edit of You Keep On Moving. The second CD will contain the album completely remixed by Kevin Shirley “with input from Glenn Hughes”, plus two unreleased instrumental tracks from the album sessions: Always the Same in LA and Bolin/Paice Jam. The tracks appear to be indeed unreleased, as they do not feature on either the Days May Come & Days May Go or on 1420 Beachwood Drive. DPAS describes them as “one is a five minute jam with Paice and Bolin, the other a short three minute track.”

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

• Thanks David/Wolfy.

Gotta agree with the review. From the sound clips DC sounds immense on the Shirley remixes, so much better than the originals. Looking forward to this!

cheers
    John

• Hi,

I totally agree the review, the japanese release that sounded great, I can't wait to listen one of my favorite songs of the album, "Dealer". All the songs are great.
    10/10.

Cheers.

Pere

• Great interview! I've always admired Jon Lord. Not only is he an astounding musician, but he's well-spoken, gentle-natured and good-humored. A class act.

I don't know how many of the rest of you follow the branches of the Deep Purple family tree, but I have all of the stuff by Glenn, Whitesnake, Jon Lord, Blackmore's Night, Joe Lynn Turner, Tommy Bolin, Ian Gillan, Paice Ashton Lord, Nick Simper's Warhorse, Nick Simper's Fandango, Episode Six, Quatermass, Roger Glover, etc. I can't think of any other band whose members have offered so much great music of such diversity over the years. I'm just sayin'... :thumbup:

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!