Made In Europe Remaster!?

• "Made In Europe" is my favourite live album by any band! although I agree "Made In Japan" is thee classic live Purple album, and a freakish capturing due to no overdubs etc, I still slightly prefer "Europe"... I LOVE MK III! I would love to see this album get remastered! will it ever happen? :confused:

• There was talk of issuing each of the 3 concerts that were sourced for "Made In Europe"; Graz, Saarbrucken and Paris in their entirety. We got "Live In Paris" but that seems to be as far as it went. After hearing "Final Concerts" and "Live In Paris" it appears that the source for much of "Made In Europe" was the Saarbrucken show. There seems to have been a lot of chopping and changing; "You Fool No One" sounds like it is a composite of two different performances and let's not forget the painfully obvious applause loop at the conclusion of "Stormbringer" that closes out Side 2.

Friday Music did remaster "Made In Europe" and that may be as close as we will get.

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• I love the version of "Stormbringer" on "Live In Paris", Paicey played it with a slightly different drum approach that gave it more swagger, it's the version Nath based his playing on when we jammed with Glenn.

How about "Live In London", will that ever make it to cd? I know for much of it the bass is out of tune but there's still some good versions on there! "Burn", "Mistreated", "You Fool No One" & "Smoke On The water" are all cool!

• Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered "Made In Europe' remaster and will soon order "Live In London" ......... stoked! :thumbup:

• To me there is no sense in buyng an unofficial remaster. they are not sourced from master tapes or multi tracks. I would wait for the entire sarbrucken show, which some day will come out.

• As far as much 'MIE' is a productional affair and an engineering mess, imho, there is no use to remaster it. Just listen how audible are Glenn's vocal overdubs in 'Burn' and the screaming audience loop after 'Stormbringer' that goes for over half-a-minute... This is just as messy as the 1977 live MK IV Purple LP was.

Having said that (and having listened really carefully to what is available so far) - we have couple of chunks from Graz (1975 Apr 03) on 'MK III The Final Concerts', and possibly an entire Paris (1975 Apr 07), but all there is from Saaarbrucken (Apr 05) is on MIE... If you listen to 'Burn', 'Mistreated' and 'You Fool...' and catch out everything that is different from Graz and Paris things - it's clear: this gig COULD HAVE BEEN the biggest cracker of all three. And that's what should go on the official release imho. I would really give a lot for having this, since I'm a big fan of this setlist, 'Gypsy' in live taking in particular (the biggest Mk III gem forgotten by whole line-up for me). Sadly, when I asked about Saarbrucken release in DPAS - I was told that nothing about it is planned in 2010... Instead there is something in the pipe culled off the 'Made In Japan' 1972 tapes... At least ironic to my taste, how much of this can one squeeze out yet? Saarbrucken would be much much more a treat, at least for me.

If you have a spirit of love to carry the day,
    the spirit of your love will show you the way
    (Paul Rodgers, The Firm - "Spirit of Love")

http://sunbyrocks.blogspot.com

• i completely agree. Saarbrucken is clearly the best of the last 3 shows that were taped. I hope we get it in entire form someday. It seems that this year will exclude any mkIII releases. I hope the CTTB reissue doesnt take so long as Stormbringer or LIN did. And a complete box set with the entire made in japan tapes, with correct set lists, synched audio footage, and many unpublished pics (there are many that have not reached official release) will be a great treat.

• As far as much 'MIE' is a productional affair and an engineering mess, imho, there is no use to remaster it. Just listen how audible are Glenn's vocal overdubs in 'Burn' and the screaming audience loop after 'Stormbringer' that goes for over half-a-minute... This is just as messy as the 1977 live MK IV Purple LP was.

Having said that (and having listened really carefully to what is available so far) - we have couple of chunks from Graz (1975 Apr 03) on 'MK III The Final Concerts', and possibly an entire Paris (1975 Apr 07), but all there is from Saaarbrucken (Apr 05) is on MIE... If you listen to 'Burn', 'Mistreated' and 'You Fool...' and catch out everything that is different from Graz and Paris things - it's clear: this gig COULD HAVE BEEN the biggest cracker of all three. And that's what should go on the official release imho. I would really give a lot for having this, since I'm a big fan of this setlist, 'Gypsy' in live taking in particular (the biggest Mk III gem forgotten by whole line-up for me). Sadly, when I asked about Saarbrucken release in DPAS - I was told that nothing about it is planned in 2010... Instead there is something in the pipe culled off the 'Made In Japan' 1972 tapes... At least ironic to my taste, how much of this can one squeeze out yet? Saarbrucken would be much much more a treat, at least for me.

So what if Glenn's vox were overdubbed on "Burn" that's still my favourite live version, and the crowd loop at the end .... who cares!! "Made In Japan" is one of the only live albums that doesn't have overdubs! You can't compare "Made In Europe" to the aweful "Last Concert In Japan",
    get real!

• Judging from what I have read about some of my favorite live recordings over the years, it seems that "Made In Japan" stands alone as the one live album that is "totally live", whatever that means... ;) Supposedly Jon Lord told an interviewer that Ian Gillan tripped over a microphone lead and fumbled the vocal line of the version of "Strange Kind Of Woman" that made the album....which necessitated the insertion of a vocal line from another show. But....no evidence of such sonic hocus pocus could be found when the tapes from the 3 shows were brought out out storage in 1993 for the preparation of the "Live In Japan" 3 -CD set.

I note with some amusement that UFO finally 'fessed up in the liner notes to the recent remaster to "Strangers In The Night" to cutting 2 tracks live in the studio because they felt they needed some additional material. The sonic spackle applied on Thin Lizzy's "Live And Dangerous" is well documented....listen to the Tower Theater show on Wolfgang's Vault to hear much of the the unvarnished, untampered performance. Grand Funk's "Live Album" claimed to be totally live. The music was but there was obvious manipulation of the audience noise...the same thing with "Free Live" where all the audience noise is from a January 1970 set of shows but much of the music was recorded in September of that year...The audience mikes malfunctioned at the second set of shows.

Man...I have been here over 16 hours today..the liner note junkie in me is bubbling to the surface... :D

Yours In The Funk

• "Made In Europe" is my favourite live album by any band! although I agree "Made In Japan" is thee classic live Purple album, and a freakish capturing due to no overdubs etc, I still slightly prefer "Europe"... I LOVE MK III! I would love to see this album get remastered! will it ever happen? :confused:

Now that´s a great live album! For me, it was great, because there was only MKIII songs.The "Stormbringer" live versions kicks much more ass than the studio one. Made in Japan was great because it only had MKII songs. 2 of the best Purple live albums for me. Not to badmouth Rod Evans, the first Captain Beyond album is GREAT.

• Made In Europe was the first Purple album I got in my hands. Since the intro for Burn, I get hipnotized. And You Fool No One: there will be no other band playing like them. Period. A remaster? Please, release it !!!

• Good things come to those who wait ;)

I'm waiting for my Live in Long Beach 1976 vinyl which should come fresh out of the press in the next few days.

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• If they ever go into the vault and release the Saarbrucken show in its entirety as was talked about some years ago, you would basically have "Made In Europe" since most of the performances on that original album were sourced from the Saarbrucken concert. Come on guys...you gave us Paris, you gave us Graz....let's have it already!!

I wasn't even aware that a "Made In Europe" box set was in the works...

Yours In The Funk

• Good things come to those who wait ;)

I'm waiting for my Live in Long Beach 1976 vinyl which should come fresh out of the press in the next few days.

But the documentary has been ready for more than a year now... what the hell are they waiting?

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!