Whitesnake in Costa Mesa

• Enjoyed a fantastic double bill. With Whitesnake and Judas Priest. Short review- Coverdale was great in Costa Mesa. There's no question he's got what are now severe limitations, but he can still scream good and I enjoyed the show. It didn't seem as bad as those clips from Europe a year ago. It's different when you are actually there, but it does sound horrible on You Tube. It's clearly not 1984 or 2003 anymore, but the man is still to me one of the best frontmen in the business. I think he must have really strained himself Wed night, he was screaming like his soul was on fire..It was something to see and hear. The band didn't even work on Thursday so it was a suprise to hear he couldn't sing on Friday!!! God the band must be tuned way way down though...to like C # (from the normal E. (translated to three half steps down or a whole plus half step) In laymen's terms: If you were to sit at a piano and play one key- its actually three keys below that key= that's a huge drop!!!! It's wierd to hear the songs in such low keys. I enjoyed the show immensely anyway and it wasn't the horror I thought it would be. Got backstage thanks to a friend and Doug was very nice and humble when I said how much I love Good To Be Bad. DC was not found- I guess not socializing didn't help his voice any. I really wanted to talk to my new favorite drummer Chris Frazier but it got interrupted after my first sentence by a phone call and there were tons of people trying to talk to him too so will try again at Namm. Reb was also very nice, and funny as hell. Quote of the week must be when I told him I have every Winger album and he said "Even IV?!!" It was kind of a Dio reunion backstage as Doug, Jimmy Bain and Simon Wright were there. It was also a reunion of subs from my cover band- an ex bass player and drummer were there too. Funny I didn't know any of us ran in those circles. Cool.

Costa Mesa Set:

Best Years

Bad Boys- Children of the Night partial.

Love Aint no Stranger

Slow and Easy partial

Lay Down Your Love

Crying in the Rain

Is This Love

Gimme All Your Love

Here I Go

Still of The Night

While David is struggling vocally- Halford and Priest are totally at the top of their game. I was backstage during the British Steel portion and the sound was beyond belief. Ill never forget the naked sound of Scott Travis snare-- incredible. Halford can still hit some amazing notes full throttle and with a falsetto scream, with none of the tuning down needed by the Snake. A friend who's been to four Priest shows since 2005 says this was the best one yet. The only complaints, Rob still does too much singing while not looking at the crowd, and Priest have almost zero interaction with each other. No smiling, no pats on the back, nothing...It's really just five businessman going at up there- Not going through the motions or anything, but zero comraderie with each other. Totally opposite to the good vibes among the bandmembers on the Snake stage, who are clearly enjoying each other's company.

• Sounds like a good night John.

Shame that DC has lost so much of his vocal range, but the music is still top notch judging from your review.
    I have seen Priest through the years, and Halford always skulked across the stage, looking at the ground. I actually think that is pretty cool, since it shows his persona as a 'tough, biker dude' :D I remember seeing them in a small venue called the Calderone Concert Hall in Hempstead, NY (remember that place Captain ?), and they blew me a way. The last tours didn't really get me excited and the last two albums are just "ehh". They are here this weekend, and still haven't decided on going or not :confused:

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Ah yes...I remember the Calderone well...saw Rainbow there with AC/DC as the opener...I remember "Problem Child"...Bon Scott diving into the first row to slug somebody and Angus riding on his shoulders....Rainbow being so loud that my hair was blown straight back like the guy in those old Maxell tape ads...

I think it is some sort of church now.

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• I remember Rainbow there, also Nektar, Argent with Baker-Gurvitz Army and there were others I seem to have lost track of by now. Between the Calderone and MFP in Roslyn, well, there were tons of great acts every week.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Which Rainbow tour was that Bill ? I saw them in Atlanta at the Fox Theater on "Straight Between the Eyes". Quite a thrill for a boy from Charleston who never REALLY has had a lot of good home town shows--at least not like some of you have been able to see during your life time in the big cities. By the way, did you get your computer set up at the house, or are you still at Starbucks ?
    peace,

• David's off the tour with voice problems. On the purple board people are saying this may be it for him. It's sad to see it end this way. Last night I watched from the 8th row- Dio at 67, singing and looking like he's in his late thirties or early forties. It's mind blowing and heaven sent to see Glenn, Dio, Rob Halford, Paul Rodgers and others still be able to cut it at the highest levels.

• This is sad news indeed. What a way for it to end for David, if it is indeed the end. I'm sure that it was very hard for him to have to acknowledge to the crowd what so many of us have already been saying; David just can't really sing anymore. Oh, and what a fine singer he was. It's a shame that he didn't take the lead from Glenn and try harder to save his voice.
    "It's sad to say. It's time to go. Until we meet again along the road. Just remember this, on your journey home, when you hear the thunder roll, you're not alone. 'Cause WE WISH YOU WELL, we wish you well. In times of trouble may your heart be strong...
    Until we meet again...........WE WISH YOU WELL"

• Steve Perry certaintly knew it was time to stop. And Journey songs can't really be turned into let the crowd sing or the band take over the singing types of songs.

• Except in the case of Whitesnake, David Coverdale owns the name. So if he were to retire you wouldn't see the rest of the band recruiting a new singer / ringer to take his place, and carrying on without him.

Todd

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!