New album discussion

• As Glenn said in the new video message, the music's finished and he's writing the lyrics now. I suppose we won't see the album before 2010. I wonder who else wrote the songs with Glenn, perhaps Luis will be returning? Chad will play drums on the album I guess. Looking forward to it.

• To tell you the truth, I got a little nervous when Glenn posted
    a message that "you'll be surprised by the music on the new album."

If anything, we GHCPs are never surprised by Glenn's work.
    We've come to take it for granted, that the man ain't cranking out cookie-cutter albums.
    So I'm wondering what's Glenn's definition of surprise music.

Please dear God....don't let it be polka music.
    Or the other GHCPs are gonna' get me.

axmuremoticon.gif

• The next GH album, all the songs, music and lyrics are written by myself...so will the arrangements and production.

I felt it was the right time to have a "complete" Solo Album...many of my fans have been asking me why I haven't done this B4. I've been on a major Roll these past 6 months in my studio, and the long hours are paying off.

In my heart of hearts, these songs are so very personal and close to me...I am revealing a lot more to you with this production...I have written over 20 songs...I'll keep you updated here.

I will record this baby in November...It will be released in early/mid 2010.

Blessings...
    Glenn

• It will be well worth waiting for as always! It's always such a feeling of anticipation and excitement, the arrival of the new album, delicately checking out the cover and reading all the info before carefully taking out the disc for its first play. It's like handling a new born baby for the first time and being infused with the life it generates!! Do you guys get that?

Love and hugs xxx :)

• Thanks for giving us a bit more info Glenn, this is starting to look very interesting...

Does this also mean you'll be playing a lot of the instruments yourself? I know your previous albums state that you also played guitar on them but it was never really clear to me which parts were yours and which were played by JJ or Luis.

Anyway that's at least 1 album already to look forward to in 2010.

• looking forward to it Big Time ;)

Is Glenn going to play the guitar parts, or is there going to be this unnamed guitar hero playing that i think either Keith or Wolfysmith mentioned in another thread somewhere. I also wonder if Steve Stephens is going to play drums, would be very happy with that as he was fantastic at the Robin weekend. Gone quiet on the Chad front as he has the RHCP's and Turkey Leg to play for. Did i get that name right?

Paul J

• thank you for news !! :thumbup: Steven Stephens is totally amazing and Chad is a little bit occupated in this moment. Chickenfoot is on th road. so can't wait for the next album :bouncer: :bouncer:

• Thanks for the update Glenn its great to hear that your a still growing as an artiste.
    If you have wrote 20 songs, is there any chance we might be treated to a double album. I'm know all the songs will be killers and we all hate missing out on stuff you must have in the vault.

• 2 questions:

How could Glenn possibly "surprise" the GHCPs with his up-coming CD?
    Why is the word "solo" used so frequently?

If 1 plus 1 equals 2,
    then does "surprise" plus "solo" equal................acoustic?

axmuremoticon.gif

• I know it's down to schedules and availability but I'd like to see the recent touring band putting down the tracks. I'd like to hear Jeff Kollman in particular. So much so I've gone back and bought some of his solo stuff.

• One of the great things about being a Glenn Hughes Fan (and aspiring to one day be a GHCP) is the fact that his evolution as an artist continues apace and is filled with constant surprises. Grace is right - no cookie cutters here. Just got hold of AC/DC's "Black Ice" - talk about Cookie Cutters. Being an Aussie I have special affection for Angus and the boys but jeez! Anyway, you can speculate all you like about what comes next from GH but one thing I know for sure - it'll be sensational.

I have a little story I'd like to tell about how I visualise Glenn's astonishing musical output. Some of you may be familiar with the concept of "flow". If not there's plenty of research available but in short how does it feel to be in flow?

• Completely involved, focused, concentrating - with this either due to innate curiosity or as the result of training
    • Sense of ecstasy - of being outside everyday reality
    • Great inner clarity - knowing what needs to be done and how well it is going
    • Knowing the activity is doable - that the skills are adequate, and neither anxious or bored
    • Sense of serenity - no worries about self, feeling of growing beyond the boundaries of ego - afterwards feeling of transcending ego in ways not thought possible
    • Timeliness - thoroughly focused on present, don't notice time passing
    • Intrinsic motivation - whatever produces "flow" becomes its own reward

(Credit to Professor Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi pronounced "Chicks send me high" apparently!)

So, Glenn's flow, in my mind, takes the form of a river which was blocked by a dam. The dam wall was constructed in the 70's and added to in the 80's and was made of materials that looked and felt good on the surface but in reality held little value. In the early 90's, the first cracks appeared because the dam wall was under so much pressure. It had held back the flow for many years but its weaknesses were now beginning to show. Soon after the cracks widened and the people who lived in the valley below looked up with fear and wondered what was happening. These people had provided the materials from which the dam was made and had stolen the land in the valley made dry and barren by the dam. Occasionally, some of what had been held back by the dam spilled out, hinting at what might be behind the wall.

One day, not long after 1992 after years of pressure build up, the dam wall finally breached and what had been held back for many years finally came gushing out in torrents, flooding the valley and forcing the people who had provided the materails and stolen the land to flee, screaming like cowards. The last remnants of the dam have now been washed away.

The flow was back and the valley was restored to a green and splendid place. Now we can all sit by the mighty river as it flows by and enjoy all that it offers.

It is not my intention to offend anyone with this little allegorical tale and I hope I haven’t. It is just something I sometimes imagine because my limited brain needs to “see” things so it can try to understand.

I write songs - so far I've come up with about half a dozen since I took up guitar at 15 (I'm now 44!). How someone can come up with 20 for one album and still be talking about what is to come - well I'm buggered if I know. Call it flow or what you will but where does it come from? I reckon it's a big part of that gift Glenn keep's talkin' about.

Bloody hell, did I write all that on a Monday morning?! Have a great week all.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!