Emerson, Hughes, Boniila - Boys Club Live From California

• Got my copy (autographed by Emerson & Bonilla :cool: ) today, listening to it now.
    :bouncer:
    This is a must-have release, every track essential, and the sound quality is superb!

It's definitely not the gig though that is out there on bootleg, which is Santa Cruz CA I believe, and part of it sounds suspiciously overdubbed :huh:

Tarkus very unfortunately lacks Glenns vocal solo during 'Stones of Years' :(

Don't forget you can already order the CD via Keith Emerson's official store! ;)

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• I absolutely agree with chrisloeb , this is a must-have CD !! Every song is great , Marc Bonilla plays fantastic guitar with a monster sound but most important : Glenn sings brilliant ! The live version of " Cover me " is my favorite tune , I think every fan of the "Addiction" album will love it!

:claphands

I know that I've been sometimes wrong
    I feel my faith is growing strong
    There is a place that I belong
    These are the days of avalon

:guitarmet:guitarmet:guitarmet

• Hi,

I bought the cd of 8 tracks with the signatures on K. Emerson site. In the European Bonus, does Glenn sings or play on "Dreams" and "Afterburner"?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Pere

• I don't actually have it, but I do know; YES, he sings on "Dreams".

If I'm not mistaken, "Afterburner", is an instrumental track. Remembering the shows, Glenn was only on stage during his songs, plus a couple during the encore, so NO, I don't believe he is featured at all on that particular track. In fact, he only sung and didn't play any instruments at the gigs, at least the one's Shirean and I attended.

• Yes, David is right - I don't have the European version either, but on the recording that has been circulating for over a decade, Dreams is a vocal track with Glenn, and Afterburner is an instrumental track.

Afterburner was the show opener and features Bonilla & Band only. Emerson came onstage 2 songs into the set (Hoedown) and Glenn after him, 8 songs into the set (Whiter Shade).

If you listen closely to the bootleg recording of Afterburner, you will notice that the drummer (I always thought it was Shane Galaas, now I know better) obviously loses one of his drum sticks during the first break ;)

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Just got the album and it sounds very good indeed. I will compare it to the tapes I got from these shows to see if the recordings are the same. Anyway it's a killler show. Middle of a Dream is such a great track - too bad Glenn never worked this out for a release on one of his solo albums. Must be a reason, but it can't be that the track was considered too weak. It's a great melody.

hasta luego
    Fedor

• Here's one other review for this release:

http://www.rockreport.be/review.asp?id=2390

Tarkus very unfortunately lacks Glenns vocal solo during 'Stones of Years' :(

Have to agree with you there Christian, now that I have this thing; the omission of this is a real shame. It would of been great to have a clear version of that. I've attached my personal favourite part of it, from the San Francisco gig Shirean and I attended. It was a very good night indeed :cool: Seems like yesterday, but was over 10 years ago now :eek:

• EL&P was my first concert to ever attend and I loved Tarkus.

:cool:

I never knew you were such an ELP fan, Roger!

Although ELP wasn't exactly my first concert ever to attend (I saw them twice in Sept./Oct. 1992 though), Tarkus will always be one of my favourite pieces of music ever. It defines Progressive Rock.

That combined with Glenn's awsome performance is a musical wet dream and gives me the goose bumps every single time I listen to it.
    :bow:

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• I saw EL&P when I was 14 or so, and they played a lot of Brain Salad Surgery and Tarkus....it was a very incredible way to experience my first loud rock concert ever...to say the least! lol

I have not listened to them for many, many years, but I should. I instantly recognized Tarkus...you're so right..having Glenn singing what he did on that clip was wild for me.

When I saw (and finally got to meet) Glenn in LA, I sat a couple of chairs down from Keith in the balcony. I kept thinking, I have seen this fellow before. lol It was only 35 years earlier at my first concert! lol That's what I told Glenn then, also... hey, it's been a while, haven't seen you in 31 years. lol

• I ordered my copy of the C.D. from Amazon.com and after reading all of the above reviews, I can't wait to receive it!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I don't actually have it, but I do know; YES, he sings on "Dreams".

If I'm not mistaken, "Afterburner", is an instrumental track. Remembering the shows, Glenn was only on stage during his songs, plus a couple during the encore, so NO, I don't believe he is featured at all on that particular track. In fact, he only sung and didn't play any instruments at the gigs, at least the one's Shirean and I attended.

Just heard 'Dreams' on the radio. I was in the kitchen and thought I heard Glenn singing. Went to the living room to check my satellite radio where it gives you the artist and song title.....lo and behold it was Boys Club :bouncer:

I didn't see it listed on the CD I have and was wondering where it came from. After coming here to visit my old friend, Search, is when I remembered there was a Euro version with bonus tracks. 'Dreams' is such a good track, now I have to get these bonus tracks :)

Chip

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!