The Whisky April 4, 2009

• Another cool review from The Whisky gig :cool:

http://www.metaljazz.com/2009/04/live_review_glenn_hughes

• Great review. If I were able to put words to paper like that, my review would have been very similar. Since I'm not able to, I'll sum up the show in one sentence. A kick-ass show from the very first note to the last.

The reviewer mentions the "virtuoso melismas" of Mistreated. I have that part on video. If i can just figure out my problem with the two videos, I'll get them posted here. The other video is of Glenn's great fret work during Gettin' Tighter.

Chip

• Great review but......

Wiry Leprechaun? :huh:

Sorry-Doesn't quite fit my impression of our Mr. Hughes.

CG

• That's what I was thinking too. There is no real leprachaun look about Glenn.
    Went to post the few pics I got at the show and they were awful. G looks like an orange blur; which wouldn't be so bad were he wearing orange :mad:

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• thanks david ! :thumbup:

and a little piece of Soul Mover

[video=Chad Smith - Soul Mover @ Whisky 04-04-09]29[/media]

• Now..if it were Steve Marriott, well, the leprechaun description would be far more apt...but at about five foot ten or so I can't imagine Glenn in green tights, dancing a jig over a pot of gold....

Otherwise the review is dead on and the quality and clarity of the sound is noted again....Take a bow Lars!! :thumbup: :cool: I was thinking that the sound at the Varvatos boutique would be too loud and fuzzy but no....crisp and clean!

I am glad that John, Frank and Chip got to experience the force of nature that is Papa G!! We got spoiled here in NYC!!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Good videos, but not enough of Mr. Hughes in the snippets. Would like to see more of the exceptional energy coming from Glenn, which was incredible.

Wish we could relive that night over and over again.

• Thanks David
    Now that's more like it !!!
    The man is like the "Energizer Bunny"; he just keeps going and going and going !!

• Here's one other review from local LA magazine..."All Access"...

All Access Magazine
    April 23rd, 2009
    By Rob Swick
    Photos by Naj

It's so great when these world-class rockers step on back to the clubs where so many got their start -- also in this issue is a look at the recent Whisky show by Frank Hannon of Tesla, and just a few days after Hannon graced the Whisky's venerable stage, British bassist-singer Glenn Hughes dropped in with a few friends for another stellar set of world-class rock. Hughes is one of a large cast of fellows who have been part of the hard-rock monster band Deep Purple over the years, and he most famously played on albums and songs such as "Burn" and "Stormbringer". Glenn Hughes has done a lot and been through a lot over the years, and it was a treat to see him bring his chops to the Whisky, which was good and packed for the gig.

Glenn Hughes came out with an inviting opus called "Crave", and then plunged into a lengthy set that was long on power-chords and powerful vocals. Hughes proved to be a masterful bassist, able to handle his axe like a lead instrument when he chose to, yet well able to defer shredding duties to the other members of his band, including veteran drummer Steve Stevens. Rhythm and funk came through in abundance, through songs that included "You Got Soul", "Getting Tighter" and "Don't Let Me Bleed". Despite what's been said about former dependency issues he may have experienced, Glenn Hughes was bright-eyed and strong for this show, determined to deliver the goods to the tight-packed house. Singing along was invited, as during the slow, chunky churn of "Mistreated", and though he at first seemed to maintain just a tad of British reserve, Glenn warmed to the occasion, basking in adulation and acclaim that seemed just as strong and fresh as what must have been felt in bygone days, when he helped to be a trailblazer in the world of hard rock, setting trends and making waves still felt and ridden by youngster bands such as those who preceded him on stage this evening. Fittingly, Glenn Hughes ended his set with one of the biggest hits of his career, the magnificent Deep Purple barn-blazer called "Burn" -- and burn he did, with power and passion, with chops to share and spare, among a crowd of young and not-so-young rockers that filled The Whisky, yelling for more.

http://www.allaccessmagazine.com/vol7/issue05/glenn_hughes.html

• Glenn Hughes came out with an inviting opus called "Crave", and then plunged into a lengthy set that was long on power-chords and powerful vocals. Hughes proved to be a masterful bassist, able to handle his axe like a lead instrument when he chose to

This seems to say it all in a few short words :D

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!