Classic Rock May09 - 50 Greatest Singers

• Just got my issue in the mail yesterday. Amazing that Queen made the cover. Again. Next month must be Guns N Roses' turn. Again. The next three issues after those should, by my calculations, be Hendrix, Thin Lizzy and Pink Floyd. Again. Then it's back to Queen. Again.

Cheers...Todd. Again.

you forgot Led Zep/ Jimmy Page/Robert Plant :mad:

• I just sent off my letter to the editor(s)...not expecting it to be published, but quite satisfied that they will have to read it, so please join me by bombarding these 3 email addresses with similar facts...feel free to take from my letter for when composing yours :thumbup:

sian.llewellyn@futurenet.co.uk

scott.rowley@futurenet.co.uk

classicrock@futurenet.co.uk

• Surprisingly this time (never before), I got a reply from Classic Rock earlier today.

I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

• From a personal and PRofessional point of view, I am sick to the back teeth of Classic Shock's shoddy attitude to Glenn. Forgetting to put our paid ad in for the UK tour last year, allowing Gillian's bitchy schoolgirl jibes to go unchecked by any of us in Glenn's camp here, and now this latest shite.

Gillan's bitching in the DP Special annoyed me too, but there is such a thing as freedom of speech. Why should CR have checked it with Glenn's PR? It was an opinion, nothing else. Gillan wasn't stating anything untrue or potentially libellous.

• Surprisingly this time (never before), I got a reply from Classic Rock earlier today.

I guess we'll have to respectfully agree to disagree.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I agree with CR's letter. Multiple / orchestrated voting does distort these online polls, so taking the results and including other criteria is probably the best way to do it. Having said that, the process should be completely transparent.

CR is still the best magazine of its type for me (if they could calm down on the Led Zep and G 'N' R coverage :))

• Freedom of speech is a given. It's irresponsible to launch a poll and 1) change its parameters 2) decide half way through that each of the CR staff get 500 votes each.

We don't make these opinions lightly. One of my roles is to sustain good relations with mags like Classic Rock. But they do not have the monopoly on opinion. Neither do I. But fairness should be the overriding factor. That's good journalism. This wasn't. This was circulation marketing.

Regarding the Gillan jibe, again it's the standard of journalism you would expect from an amateur blogger. Nobody at Glenn's camp was called to comment. Standard college stuff. No balance. If somebody slagged you off in the local press, would you expect to be given the opportunity to comment? Isn't that your freedom of speech?

• Freedom of speech is a given. It's irresponsible to launch a poll and 1) change its parameters 2) decide half way through that each of the CR staff get 500 votes each.

To be fair I don't know the background to the poll. If the different factors were made clear at the start that's fine. If the parameters were changed midway through, then I agree with you.

Regarding the Gillan jibe, again it's the standard of journalism you would expect from an amateur blogger. Nobody at Glenn's camp was called to comment. Standard college stuff. No balance. If somebody slagged you off in the local press, would you expect to be given the opportunity to comment? Isn't that your freedom of speech?

Gillan's known for shooting his mouth off of late. Do people really take his opinions as gospel and need a corresponding line from Glenn to combat it? Now when it comes to so-called facts, I think they should be challenged (i.e. Gillan's assertion that the average age of Purple's current audience is 18!)

The "Glenn not a bona fide member of Purple" argument is one that you will see time and time again on many Purple forums. It's obviously not one that I agree with, but Gillan spouting it in CR is hardly introducing something radically new into the public domain that needs "balance". I'll agree to disagree with you on this one.

As an aside, I remember Glenn saying fairly negative things about Whitesnake and Rainbow in Kerrang many years ago, with no comeback from Blackmore or Coverdale.

• When is a poll not a poll? When classic rock magazine doesnt get the results it wants to boost sales!

Just to say Keith and Weiss Heim you argue both your opinions graciously and intelligently.

David, Keith and the rest of us argue aggressively in favour of Glenn because unsurprisingly we feel that Glenn is the 'Consumate vocalist' that Classic Rock were looking for.

Classic Rock are looking for a result that will sell them more copies of their rag [never has a word been so appropriate].

If their respected journalists, DJ'S, and singers truly feel that Lennon, Holder, Alice Cooper and countless others on the list are consumate vocalists then they need their ears and brains checking [or do i???]!!

It was shoddy to conduct a poll and then seemingly change the parameters of that poll at a later date.

Paul

• It is indeed a political hot potato - but personally I don't need a magazine to tell me who the geatest singer is - thankfully I have my own opinion and I like what I like and dislike what I dislike - it is that black and white - and probably one of the reasons I don't bother my arse to buy magazines.(Apart form the ones where you get lots of puzzles when you've got a long journey). Glenn rules in my world - Classic Rock are no authority on what my opinion is and they never will be! So they can kiss my behind for discarding my vote and those of others!

• my personal rating

paul rodgers

robert plant

freddie mercury

glenn hughes

janis joplin

ian gillan

rod evans

kevin debrow

ronnie james dio

david gilmour

kavin james labrie

james hetfield

sammy hagar

chris robinson

david coverdale

i was really upset for glenn while i was so glad for robert plant and freddie mercury and ian gillan

why glenn was pushed after this meat loaf or even paul stanly!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!