Over The Rainbow - reviews

• some reviews of JLT and Blackmore junior playing together are over at

http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files/o…inbow-tour.html

and video footage is at http://www.nevex.tv/video/1257

Set list:

Tarot Woman / Kill the King / Man on the Silver Mountain / Death Alley Driver / Eyes of the World / Ariel / Power / Can't Happen Here / Jealous Lover / Stargazer / Long Live Rock 'n' Roll.

Encores: Since You Been Gone / I Surrender / All Night Long.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• I don't have a problem with what they're doing. If there's a weak link in what was shown on the video, it's JLT. The Dio-era material doesn't really translate well to his voice, just as the JLT-era material wouldn't translate well with Dio singing. I think the rest of the band sounds great.

Cheers...Todd

• hi

Rainbow are one of my favourite bands so to see ex Rainbow members doing this is on the whole ok to me!

Tony Carey seems a bit odd and maybe disinterested. And i know that on The Highway Star there has been a massive row between him and one of the fans who contribute to that site.

JLT does struggle a bit with Dio era songs but lets face it, not many can out-Dio the man himself.

Would like to see them and hear new material from them

Paul :thumbup:

• I would go see this. One comment though...Jurgen needs to find a Strat...there's one available David mentioned on here last month that would fit perfectly. I have a similar Jackson to his and it doesn't do the Rainbow stuff justice like a Strat does.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0139010-305

Off topic but related...I had on the newer duet version of Street of Dreams from Village Latern...Blackmore's Night Sat night as I turned onto the Vegas strip...it seemed like I entered a video as I was singing my head off to the song..and the lyrics just fit the street so well...just doesn't get any better than that.

• yep- all's he has to do is click the link. I'm thinking of Ebaying my Japan Ritchie and getting the new one. Only thing is, I went through a lot of cruise ship after hours late night Ritchie B blasts of joy with that guitar and I am emotionally attached to all my instruments...I don't know if I can bear to part with it.

• well i learned something today-richie b has a son whose voice sounds like he has never been to england his whole life

• Some USA dates for you:

July 6, 2009 - Ocean City Music Pier - Ocean City, New Jersey
    July 8, 2009 - The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, Michigan (Opening act for Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
    July 10, 2009 - Crocodile Rock Cafe - Allentown, Pennsylvania
    July 11. 2009 - The Stone Pony - Asbury Park, NJ

NOTE: The above dates listed are all confirmed and are listed under Tour Dates on the profile page.

Western USA fans - yes, these dates do sound far away. Again, a reminder to everyone that there are more shows in the works and they will be announced as-confirmed.

Welcome to all the new friends and thanks for your support!

~Lorna
    Joe's myspace page staff

• A date was added on July 4th in El Paso, TX, a mere 225 mile drive for me. It is an indoor/outdoor festival and the Cult is also appearing. Sounds like an overnighter with Simon !!

Maybe can even talk Chip into the trip

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Tony Carey is no longer in the band and has been replaced by Paul Morris.

"Carey wishes to make it clear that there were no personality issues or clashes involving any other members. Carey is and was dissatisfied with the management, and feels that too many errors were made; unfortunately, the management came with the package, being Joe Lynn Turner's people, and took over from the beginning. 'I wish the lads all the success in the world', says Carey."

• Heading out Saturday to see OTR in EL Paso, TX. They are on a bill with The Cult, which is not quite what I would have hoped for. Tonight they are in Chicago opening for Billy Squier, whxih I would have really enjoyed.
    I will do a review when I get back on Monday and maybe even some pics.

• OK. Went to El Paso to see Over the Rainbow on Saturday night at a 'street festival' in Downtown. I will start by saying that the festival itself was a disappointment since the vendors were either beer or tacos. Really weren't other choices unless you include the dried out beef ribs. Now people who know me also know I love food !! So bad food and a stage between two large brick buildings doesn't exacvtly make me scream "WOW".

I checked out a few local bands on both the rock and Latino stages, and the Latino bands are just cool !! Dancing, horns, drums and really upbeat. Very enjoyable. Then to the main stage for "Lacuna Coil" who was, surprisingly, quite good. The band is very tight and the female singer can really put it out there. Since I had no idea who they were beforehand I just let the sounds take over and was glad I did. WIll probably check them out again.

Finally OTR came out at 9:00 and they were very loud !!! Tarot Woman opened the show and off they went from there. Now, I am not a reviewer, so I will just add what I think people would want to hear:

1) JLT CAN sing Dio. The you tube videos do not do him justice, and even though he doesn't SOUND like Dio, he certainly pulls the songs off very weel. I don't know where the "awful" reviews come from, but I just didn't see that.

2) Juergen Blackmore is NOT Richie Blackmore. He looks just like him, stands like him and moves like him and is adequate, but he is not Dad.

3) Bobby Rondinelli is the absolute best at his craft. No rock drummer gets my blood moving like Bobby. I may be a little tainted in my views since I have known him for a long time and have seen him perform over 100 times in different acts, but he always leaves me shaking my head and mumbling "incredible".

4) Tony Carey's replacement who was not introduced was not Tony Carey. A little loud and overbearing at times.

If you want to hear Dio, go see him. If you want to hear Blackmore, put on some albums. If you want to have a good time and enjoy a show, go see Over the Rainbow. Even with sound and monitor problems the show was terrific. All the popular numbers from all incarnations except for King of Dreams, and, while not awe inspiring, much better than I would have expected based on the reviews I had read here and on some other sites. Believe me, if Paul Rodgers can try and do Freddie Mercury and be called good, then JLT doing Dio is at least that.

Overall, a really good time, good set and I will go see them anytime they are in my neighborhood (or within 300 miles).

• In case you missed it Frank, here's a link to a video news segment that local station, KVIA/ABC-7, had on their nightly broadcast covering the band's performance and interviews at the street festival.

http://www.KVIA.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3928858&at1=News

• Seemed they had a nice crowd going at the street festival. I'm heavy into Rainbow but Im not really excited by this Over the Rainbow stuff. Let's just hope daddy joins these guys on stage during one of their shows....;)

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!