Over The Rainbow - reviews

• Thanks for the review, Frank. I've been a longtime fan of Bobby Rondinell, having bought countless albums he's featured on over the years. I've seen him live with both Quiet Riot and Blue Oyster Cult, and even interviewed him for the (currently defunct) Fuze web site. Bobby's as solid as they come, and I think of him in the same league as Carmine Appice. Neither one of them is terribly creative or exciting, but they have a few tricks up their sleeves and their catalogs speak for themselves.

Todd

• Thanks for the review, Frank. I've been a longtime fan of Bobby Rondinell, having bought countless albums he's featured on over the years. I've seen him live with both Quiet Riot and Blue Oyster Cult, and even interviewed him for the (currently defunct) Fuze web site. Bobby's as solid as they come, and I think of him in the same league as Carmine Appice. Neither one of them is terribly creative or exciting, but they have a few tricks up their sleeves and their catalogs speak for themselves.

Todd

Bobby is indeed a very good drummer. I always wondered why he didn't do anything between leaving Rainbow and joining Quiet Riot.

Not sure what you mean about Carmine Appice not being very creative, he's one of my favourite drummers.

• After Rainbow, Bobby did pop up on albums by other artists. He recorded an album with his brother Teddy and Ray Gillen, and also German singer Doro Pesch. Then of course he joined Blue Oyster Cult for a decade or so, appearing on two albums and a live DVD with them.

I love Carmine Appice. I have a bunch of his stuff with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ozzy, King Kobra, Black Roses, Cactus, Rick Derringer, Blue Murder, Vanilla Fudge, etc. I think he is a rock solid drummer. The guy has had a legendary career. But he's not a Neil Peart. I've never heard him play anything that I thought was amazing, surprising or really eye-opening, that's all. No disrespect to the man is intended. He is who he is, and he does what he does very well. Much like Rondinelli and the late Cozy Powell. I also like Carmine's brother Vinny, who I've seen a number of times and who himself has had a long and varied career with Derringer, Black Sabbath, Dio, 3 Legged Dogg, WWIII and now Heaven & Hell.

Cheers...Todd

• In case you missed it Frank, here's a link to a video news segment that local station, KVIA/ABC-7, had on their nightly broadcast covering the band's performance and interviews at the street festival.

http://www.KVIA.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3928858&at1=News

Thanks David.
    Noticed how the news channel misspelled Bobby Rondinelli as Rondenelly.
    Reminds me of another brilliant musician who has his name misspelled constantly...mmmm Mr Glen Hugs :D

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• When I think Rock drummers I think Bobby, Chad, Peart and Copeland above the others. Of course the 'crossovers' like Bruford are, well, a bit more complete, although Copeland and Peart can both do anything from 4/4 Motorhead to U.K.

• After Rainbow, Bobby did pop up on albums by other artists. He recorded an album with his brother Teddy and Ray Gillen, and also German singer Doro Pesch. Then of course he joined Blue Oyster Cult for a decade or so, appearing on two albums and a live DVD with them.

I love Carmine Appice. I have a bunch of his stuff with Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart, Ozzy, King Kobra, Black Roses, Cactus, Rick Derringer, Blue Murder, Vanilla Fudge, etc. I think he is a rock solid drummer. The guy has had a legendary career. But he's not a Neil Peart. I've never heard him play anything that I thought was amazing, surprising or really eye-opening, that's all. No disrespect to the man is intended. He is who he is, and he does what he does very well. Much like Rondinelli and the late Cozy Powell. I also like Carmine's brother Vinny, who I've seen a number of times and who himself has had a long and varied career with Derringer, Black Sabbath, Dio, 3 Legged Dogg, WWIII and now Heaven & Hell.

Cheers...Todd

Black Roses!!!! :thumbup:

I used to have those songs but then my computer crashed, too bad.
    I think Carmine's playing on Beck's Lady is pretty amazing. And Vinny is indeed very good.

• Black Roses is a TERRIBLE film, with a GREAT soundtrack! It's unfortunately long out of print. If you'd like those couple songs Carmine recorded with Mark Free and the gang, send me your email in a private message. I'll send them over to you.

Now THERE's an underrated vocalist - MARK FREE! He's since gone under the knife and resurfaced as Marcie Free. What an amazing voice. And although he only recorded a handful of albums with King Kobra, Unruly Child, Signal and a couple solo albums, the performances will knock your socks off. I think my favorite is the Black Roses song "Paradise". Wow.

Glenn should record a duet with Marcie Free. Two incredible voices..

Cheers...Todd

• Carmine Appice was arguably the first rock showman when it came to the drums; he took the stick twirling acrobatics of Dino Danelli and welded them to a monstrously powerful backbeat..check out those old videos of the Fudge back in the day and you see him in full throttle. And he's no slouch as a singer either; he and his blood brother Tim Bogert sing up a storm on the BBA album.

Cozy Powell could almost be the British version of Carmine Appice; he came up around the same time and didn't bury you in intricate figures but simply rocked the engine room....One thing I remember reading about Cozy when he passed away was that when he played a session he really brought out the best in the other players. Don Airey relates a story about a session he was playing for an upcoming CD by Colin Blunstone; the session was unfocused and meandering....Cozy was called in and everything was suddenly back on course. I believe it was the last session he played on before his death.....he loved fast cars and was, by all accounts, an excellent driver.....yet a blown tire on a wet road can take the best man...

I remember Todd relating the drum duel between Carmine and Dom Famularo at the Lissa Wales benefit....Todd thought Carmine would wipe the floor with Dom...boy, did he get a surprise! Dom is the guy who can handle anything from 4/4 to the most twisted progressive time signatures....

Over The Rainbow are playing the Stone Pony in Asbury Park this summer...might have to take a road trip!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Captain- The BBA stuff was really great.
    DO hit the Pony for OTR but be careful where you park or just train it down, and be sure to get some taffy while there.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!