Classic Rock Feb 2009 - DP Special

• Hasn't the guy from Alter Bridge got the Zep gig ?

Plants voice was never really amazing and at times bloody awfull on record...The studio version of Song Remains The Same sounds like Mickey Mouse on Helium.

they won' tour anymore :mad:

this is the last update i ve just read...iwish that they change their mind if sir coverdale filled for robert

i like the song remains the same too much but i agree the studio version is a bit strange when u come to robert's voice :rolleyes:

From now on....

:guitarmet \m/

• Ummm...ouch. Them's is fighting words...where is Grace with that axe when you need her?

Ian Gillan has decided to slam Glenn in the latest issue of Classic Rock Magazine.

He says "I can't call him a bona fide member of DEEP PURPLE."...and..."he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day"

Here is the rest of it:

GILLAN Has 'No Interest' In DEEP PURPLE Mk III, Says GLENN HUGHES Is 'Copying STEVIE WONDER'

In an interview in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine, DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan reveals he has "no interest" in the Mk III lineup of the band — and he doesn't particularly rate Mk IV either.

Gillan said: "I've never listened to any of PURPLE Mk III's records. What are they called? 'Burn' and... 'Strongbow' (Strongbow is English cider — Ed.), is it?"

"I've got no interest in them," he continued. "It's like seeing your girlfriend with another guy."

Gillan added: "As for Mk IV [when American guitarist, the late Tommy Bolin, replaced Ritchie Blackmore), I listened to their 'Come Taste The Band' album [1975] and that wasn't really PURPLE in my book.

"I've got no problems with the performances, I just don't think it's DEEP PURPLE at all.

"Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day, so I can't call him a bona fide member of DEEP PURPLE."

"The Mk III and IV lineups were full of talent, but you know you can spend £100 million on football players and you won't necessarily get a good team."

• Fast,

The GH Fan Forum - Media Center:
    ~ Classic Rock February 2009 ~

You doubt that such a ridiculous statement as was made by Mr. Gillan,
    would get past "The Interview Police" of the GHCPs?

~~~~~
    And just because I may be well hidden,
    doesn't mean that I'm not watching. Heh,heh, heh.

axmuremoticon.gif

• HEY! I just read your post Grace, and did a little digging and found this whole thread on the subject...and then *POOF*...somebody moved it here...hmmmm....

I can't believe I missed this one originally...love all the thoughts on this one, well done people, people...

BTW, the reason for my posting this now, was that this was just put up TODAY on Blabbermouth....guess they are a wee bit behind...

And BTW...there's too many damn sub-categories here to find everything...I'm freaking lost... :confused:

• Hello there!
    Please, do the scans from Classic Rock Magazine 02-2009 (Deep Purple Special) - still can't get it... Thanks and Good Luck!!!
    Radislav

• Hey.
    It's been a while since i posted, so i guess i better write something down to keep my status up :)

I have also desired more Trapeze relics with Glenn on vocals.
    Off the top of my head i have to say that that band had grit, raw energy, good fat bottom end and finesse just to mention a few things. I mean stuff you could really sink your teeth into, as is the case with Glenn's other stuff too ( didn't want to downplay Glenn's other work -i love it all).
    But Trapeze was really special right?
    I'll tell you about the first time i heard Trapeze.
    I was sitting back, around a campfire with friends after a music festival in 1988. We were up all night partying, it was almost sunrise, and my friend put's in a tape. Everything was good and it was nice. (it usually takes me a few listens to an album to really start enjoying it emensly). Anyway, we're sitting there, then came this scream ! I mean up from the soul, turning and twisting until it came all the way out. Goodness gracious ! I mean i sat up and shouted right on man ! "Who is this?" i asked. My friend the music Guru proudly quipped "G.H. from Trapeze". That memory has never died. I'm not sure what song it was, i think "Your Love Is Allright" about 2/3's of the way thru.

You know, i wonder how long it would have taken me to discover Trapeze without that friend of mine. He was a big collector & constantly purchased stuff from the Goldmine publication -(the only method for rare stuff other than record shows before the internet daze hit). I mean, i was too young & little to even hear of Trapeze in their heyday, and just barely old enough to catch songs of Purple Mark II on the radio airwaves. Ofcourse, Smoke On The Water, which received lots of airplay on my local radio station, was the first i heard of Purple. I was just a kid, but i knew i liked it. I never ever recalled hearing Trapeze on radio or Mark III, IV. The city i grew up in here in the midwest was pretty conservative as well as the radio stations. I was deprived :(

Even later on, my high school friends who had all the rare Purple collectables didn't know of Trapeze. It wasn't until way past high school, when my friendships gravitated towards serious music lovers alike, that i was turned on.

So yes, i wish there was more Trapeze relics with Glenn, but i suppose the lure of an invitation to join a band that already had an established name like Purple, was more than Glenn could resist.
    - if that was even the case, i don't know.
    If anyone knows the story leading up to Glenn joining forces with Purple, lay it on me.

:singer: ...Everyday, wheels are turnin'

• they won' tour anymore :mad:

this is the last update i ve just read...iwish that they change their mind if sir coverdale filled for robert

i like the song remains the same too much but i agree the studio version is a bit strange when u come to robert's voice :rolleyes:

But Coverdale can't sing anymore either!!(only in the studio) I can't imagine Zep doing all the singing while DC mimes or just sings bits and pieces and points his mic at the crowd. This is his standard schtik this days. Watch this and wince:

http://www.vimeo.com/2568080

• but i suppose the lure of an invitation to join a band that already had an established name like Purple, was more than Glenn could resist.
    - if that was even the case, i don't know.
    If anyone knows the story leading up to Glenn joining forces with Purple, lay it on me.

You should take a listen to this radio broadcast, Glenn explains exactly how it all came about.

• there's also a short piece by Lars Ulrich (Metallica) saying he loves MKIII DP and would fill in for Ian Paice if Glenn and DC get together with RB.

he also says he wants Metallica to do Soldier of Fortune.

I don't think Lars is good enough to begin to come close to Paice.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!