Classic Rock Feb 2009 - DP Special

• the new February 2009 edition (yes i know its still December!) has Deep Purple on the cover, for the first time, and a 20 page feature on the band.

there is a lot of stuff that's been published before but its not a bad piece overall. plenty of pics and quotes, including from JLT and Glenn, and of course the usual "Blackmore's a twat" comments.

there's a copy of an interview RB did in 1978 just as Rainbow released LLRAR that i actually found the most interesting out of all of it.

as its so big i wont scan and post it all as David might get into trouble with the mag but here's a few quotes -

"i will not have a bad word said against JLT" Ian Paice

"Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day, so i cant call him a bone-fide member of DP" - IG

"me and Glenn were the Unrighteous Brothers" - DC

"The Stones? I considered them idiots. i respect them but i dont like them" - RB

"RB is probably the most articulated guitarist i've heard in my life. He's an unearthly gifted musician" - IG

"we spent more time in the pub than the studio" - IG on Perfect Strangers.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• "Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians
    but he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day,
    so i cant call him a bone-fide member of DP" - IG

"Glenn Hughes____(blah, blah)____so I can't call him a bonafied member of DP."

WHAT????

So three years of composing, recording, and touring don't count?
    I guess Glenn should expect a lawsuit from Deep Purple Incorporated,
    since he's not entitled to the (formerly of Deep Purple) insert, huh?

WOW! Jealousy, Mr. Gillan, is an evil thing...........:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

axmuremoticon.gif

• there's also a short piece by Lars Ulrich (Metallica) saying he loves MKIII DP and would fill in for Ian Paice if Glenn and DC get together with RB.

he also says he wants Metallica to do Soldier of Fortune.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• By his own admission, Mr Gillan obviously spends far tooo much time in the pub. What a really stupid thing to say about big G. WHAT A DIPSTICK!! :rolleyes:

• I can still remember my reaction to the news in Circus magazine, that Glenn had been hired on as Purples' bassist and singer. Ecstatic - and thinking "Oh man, great choice"! I believe that Glenns' contributions and showmanship are what kept Purple going from 73' to 76'. Definitely a bona-fide member in this fans' opinion.

• I've always liked Gillan. It's a pity that instead of getting in a dig at his Deep Purple step-brothers, he couldn't just say something like "Although I wouldn't be comfortable performing that material, I will say that the albums featuring Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale were quite good."

I also think that even though he performs 'Hush', which was a hit for Mk I of the band, it's only because it was actually a cover of a song by Joe South.

Cheers...Todd

• i don't even know why i'm posting here. i try to live by the "if you don't have anything good to say...." moto. i've always been such a big Gillan fan, purple and solo, i just cannot understand why he seems to continuously take the low road when it comes to Glenn. my guess is that he , in the privacy of his own room listens to the music that G. has done/is doing and just can't get the jelousy monkey off his back. it's just such a shame. it's also just another reason why i love Glenn, the person and the musician, so much because he knows where the high road is and always chooses to travel on it.
    peace to you all...even to you Ian ( i bet you log on here under some assumed name, although i don't remember seeing Garth Rocket ever signed on to here)

• there's also a short piece by Lars Ulrich (Metallica) saying he loves MKIII DP and would fill in for Ian Paice if Glenn and DC get together with RB.

he also says he wants Metallica to do Soldier of Fortune.

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

wooooooooooooooooooooooow :claphands :bouncer:

but its all are just some wild dreams :huh:

From now on....

:guitarmet \m/

• Despite being a huge glenn and coverdale fan...

but also gillan's solo career was too sophisticated and original ;)

just give a listen to mr.universe or scarabus :thumbup:

but maybe gillan talks from his rock/metal point of view maybe he

is not a huge funk /stevie wonder fan so he gave this opinion.

but if it was not for glenn and DC and the funk they injected in DP the band wouldn't have been that various and broaded sounded band.

i appritiate gillan of course and mk2 but iam a huge burn and mk3/mk4 fan.

purple rulezzzzzzzzzz even with JLT despite that his sound is too far away from the original DP.

i wish that somebody puts some pages of this special feature.

thank u :)

From now on....

:guitarmet \m/

• got a ian gillian dvd were he covers stevie wonders "livin in the city" and i think if i remember right he got some mileage with it in england :confused:

• good point, it was also on his "Magic" album I believe. even though he did rock it up a bit to make it not sound so much like a true immitation type cover. but I would also say that G. did the same thing w/ "Maybe your baby" from his "Feel" release. which is, by the way, one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums :claphands

peace,

• I think it is true that GH was a real member who replaced Mr. Gillan successfully. More over, Glenn even increased the No. of DP fans than ever and developped DP music than ever.

I don't want to be hard on Mr. Gillan as I like him but such attitude of him makes me feel like Mr. Gillan is so worried to be replaced again by such a tallented musician who can really sing even today.

• I think it is true that GH was a real member who replaced Mr. Gillan successfully. More over, Glenn even increased the No. of DP fans than ever and developped DP music than ever.

I don't want to be hard on Mr. Gillan as I like him but such attitude of him makes me feel like Mr. Gillan is so worried to be replaced again by such a tallented musician who can really sing even today.

Great to see you back here again, Tony!!! :hi5:

I hope that everything is going well for you and your family.

(And I agree with your opinion of Mr. Gillan.)

axmuremoticon.gif

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!