Marc Bonilla solo albums reissued on Noble Rot

• LOS ANGELES, Calif. — Noble Rot, the division of Collectors’ Choice Music whose mission is to reissue forgotten gems from the ‘80s and ‘90s, will release four albums by three West Coast artists — Marc Bonilla, Toy Matinee and 3rd Matinee — who shared a common thread: Bonilla played guitar in the live version of Toy Matinee and collaborated with band leader Kevin Gilbert. Scheduled for release on February 3rd, 2009 in Digipaks with liner notes are Bonilla’s two albums (EE Ticket and American Matador) as well as Toy Matinee’s self-titled debut album and the sole album from its spinoff band, 3rd Matinee, titled Meanwhile.

American Matador, Bonilla’s second Reprise album in 1993, showcased the guitarist’s technical mastery and stylistic versatility. It was mostly instrumental, but Bonilla did make a rare vocal appearance on “Wake the Baby.” Though he recorded with a small ensemble of Troy Luccketta of Tesla and Anastasios “Toss” Panos, Bonilla contributed the bass parts himself. Frank Zappa alumnus Mike Keneally plays organ on a cover of Procol Harum’s “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” which appears in both vocal and instrumental versions. The former features the distinctive voice of ex-Deep Purple/Trapeze member Glenn Hughes.

More details can be found here...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=26789

• American Matador, Bonilla’s second Reprise album in 1993, showcased the guitarist’s technical mastery and stylistic versatility. It was mostly instrumental, but Bonilla did make a rare vocal appearance on “Wake the Baby.” Though he recorded with a small ensemble of Troy Luccketta of Tesla and Anastasios “Toss” Panos, Bonilla contributed the bass parts himself. Frank Zappa alumnus Mike Keneally plays organ on a cover of Procol Harum’s “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” which appears in both vocal and instrumental versions. The former features the distinctive voice of ex-Deep Purple/Trapeze member Glenn Hughes.

That's a bit of good news, hopefully it'll be remastered too. That one can be a little hard to find these days, so it'll be handy to have it more widely available.

• American Matador was a brilliant recording.
    How does EE Ticket compare to it?

so light a candle in the window.......
    i will be coming home tonite

• I enjoyed EE Ticket, but not nearly as much as American Matador - what a superb album that is!

Fans of Marc Bonilla can also pick up the new Keith Emerson/Marc Bonilla album, as well as the CTA (California Transit Authority) album which features Marc. Great stuff.

Cheers...Todd

• While I'm at it...here's a video of Marc with Ian Wallace on drums and Ed Roth on keys at the Lissa Wales benefit that was held here in Phoenix a few years ago. Glenn and Chad were there also and performed a blistering set. Although you can't see us, Shirean, Todd, and myself were in the front row, just a few feet in front of Ian's kit :)

Chip

• Thanks for posting those excellent videos, Chip!
    :thumbup:
    I still have the original Marc Bonilla CD issues on Reprise!
    Keith Emerson plays organ on one track on EE Ticket.
    And that's Mike Keneally on keys in the EE Ticket TV Live video btw.

Just a few feet from Ian Wallace? How great is that!
    An excellent drummer, gone too soon. RIP :(

Also, the great late :bow: Kevin Gilbert, an absolute genius.
    Toy Matinee is one of my Top 3 desert island discs.
    It appears that the new reissue includes the Bonus tracks from the Toy Matinee Special Edition remaster from 2001.
    A must-have disc!

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Lets keep our fingers crossed for a Emerson/Bonilla US release and tour to follow soon.

so light a candle in the window.......
    i will be coming home tonite

• That performance of "21st Century Schizoid Man" from the Lissa Wales benefit was just fantastic! It looked like the show was professionally filmed...any chance of it being released? I remember Todd's run down of the evening's performances and recall with considerable mirth, Todd's assertion that Carmine Appice was going to mop up the floor with Dom Famularo...and quite the surprise you got Brother Seely!

Robert Fripp has said of the musicians that were in Crimson during the "Islands" period; They deserved far better than Crimson had to offer them. Boz Burrell's baptism under fire on the bass is well documented....but Ian kept the Crimson ties alive by playing drums in the 21st Century Schizoid Band. I saw him play with Jackson Browne in 1986.....yes, he was a great talent who is hopefully raising a racket up above with his old friend Boz...

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!