• Hi,

I know I haven't been posting here very much, so much has happened in my life in recent months - I was made redundant from my job after 11 years of service, so that means I have time to sit on my arse and play around with my wonderful new toy - BOSS BR-1600 Digital Home Studio Recorder.

I'm not a professional, I have played guitar in a few bands, but now that I have this piece of technology at my disposal, it's made me think of the music thing from a different perspective - it's no longer four or five guys dragging gear around to a studio to jam, practice and write songs, it's me dragging my arse outta bed and press the little on switch and let my imagination run wild.

So please, I would love some comments, some critique and even some pointers on my song and my production - I'm still learning, there's a loooonngg way to go, anyway - here it is.

This Dusty Road - Mike Sarantos

`

• Ah, thanks mate!! :)
    I do have more stuff to record, but at the moment I'm writing some stuff for a friend of mine's band
    As soon as that's done, I'll work on my stuff again and post it on youtube.

I checked out your version of that classic Kiss cover.
    Mate, I prefer the way you sang it over the original version.
    I'm probably going to upset some folks over that comment.

• Mike, I just listened to your other song on youtube, All She Wants. Congratulations, excellent!
    Part of the verse reminds me of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Am I Losin' (from Nuthin' Fancy - one of their best song imo!), and the bridge is just great! Love the wah wah guitar too!
    Very well done!

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Firstly, I'd like to apologize for not replying to your posts sooner.
    After almost three months of being unemployed, I found myself a job not too far from home and I've gone from hangin' out at home playing guitar to working 10 hour long days full of hard physical work!

Thank you for all of your kindness and encouraging replies to my tunes, I really appreciate it a lot and it means more to me coming from you people than anyone else as you people here know about real music and whom it is inspired by.

Chip: Thanks for the advice - I did hang in there and something came my way which is working out well so far.

Ann: Thank you for the very kind comment!

Roger: Thanks mate - The BR-1600 is a truly amazing machine although I have yet to master it.
    I'm still unsure how to do a fade out during mastering?
    Had a listen to some of your stuff on your MySpace page and I'm really blown away by your style.
    You have this sort of ethereal feel about your playing that just makes you listen intently while you feel like you're floating away on a cloud - really wonderful.

Christian: Thank you!
    Ahh, you people have the best ears!
    I was going for a cross between Southern Rock, Glenn, The Beatles and Jason Falkner in that song.

Again, thanks people - I hope to have new tunes up soon, but this new job is quite taxing on the ol' energy levels and by the time I get home, there's little time for the studio after all the chores are done.

Merry (belated) Christmas and have a Happy and Safe New Year all!

• Roger, thanks dude - thanks for the positive feedback!!
    Gives me the incentive to keep on goin'

What I really do need, is some advice on some video editing software.

I need to be able to sync the audio and video - this one was OK, as it was supposed be a little on the arty side, but I can't keep doing the same thing for every clip.

• Excellent work, Aussie Mike. Love it - really compelling.
    I'll keep an eye out for ya at the Sydney show and purchase you the congratulatory beverage of your choice.
    Cheers
    hughesfan

• Hi all,

I know it's been a long time between drinks, but I've been busy looking for a job (and not having any luck) and in the meantime, I've been doing a tiny bit of television extra work, which pays, but is sporadic and there's no way one could make a living off that alone, so I'm going to study for a few months.

Meanwhile, music is still a major part of my life and when inspired to do so, I come up with a song and have to put the idea down, before it vanishes back into the ether, from which it came.

I've taken to making mega low budget video clips, that accompany my songs - they aren't terribly exciting, but I feel it's better than having a static image to stare at for a few minutes.

Anyway, without further ado, here's my latest song and video; Jealous Man.

[ame='

Mike Sarantos - Jealous Man[/ame]

• Nice work again on this one. Do you know that I picked up some of the vocal dynamics in your voice (such as an interesting downward inflection at the end of phrases) that are commonly used by GH himself? Stick with the low budget clips, too. Keeps it interesting.

Are you personally acquainted with the "jealous little man" ? :)

Good luck on the job hunting.

Cheers

hughesfan

• Thanks heaps hughesfan for the feedback and for the tiny GH comparisons. Yes man, how can I not be inspired by the man who is the worlds greatest rock singer.
    It's an honor for you to have said that - even if it's something as small as the downward inflection.

As for the inspiration for the song; lets just say I am compelled to write about what and whom I am surrounded by and exposed to, both the good and the bad.

Cheers bro,

Mike

• With my band QUAYLEAF, we've managed to record two brand new tracks. We did them ourselves - basically recorded the drums on bassist Damian McDonald's 24 track and I did the remaining overdubs, on my BOSS BR-1600 here at home.

So, we're not professional engineers or anything, just merely 'went for it' and hoped for the best.

RUBY is a song about a beautiful young woman, with a myriad of personal problems and a life in an eternal shade of grey. The idea of the change in the middle, is supposed to reflect of how a relationship can go from happiness and innocence, to heart ache and despondency in such a short space of time and ends, with a touch of melancholy.

The instrumental track A NEW BEGINNING is about to have keyboards added to it. Our Drummer Andy K, is mates with some whizz-bang session key guy, who took one listen to it and wants to add some keyboard layers - so here is the pre-key version. I may add more of a solo later, still not sure on that yet.

http://www.myspace.com/quayleaf*pronounced "Key-Leef"

• Mike:

My computer is screwed up and I have about 10 minutes at most to check email before it crashes...can't watch video or even load photos easy...nothing.

But I will check this out as soon as I can. I haven't been on this site much at all, or any site for that matter. Can't listen to my own music or load new music.

But I am not ignoring your music, brother, I will listen as soon as we get a new computer.

Roger

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!