The Robin 2, Wolverhampton - Acoustic, Electric, Q&A

• What a special night this was. I've always wanted to hear Glenn sing songs from Play Me Out and I got my wish. Will our love end has always been a favorite of mine, and Glenn gave a stunning performance.

Glenn, thanks so much for such a great show. Thanks for being such a strong influence over the years. And Thanks for signing my beloved Fender Jazz Bass

:thumbup: :bow: :claphands

• I agree entirely with what soulmover05 said. Karen and myself have seen Glenn, I dunno, maybe between 30 and 40 times (not quite in the Mikey D 75 times bracket), and this was for us the best GH gig we've been to since the Trapeze reunion at Brierly Hill in the early 90's.

Why ... well for us it's because Glenn actually gets back to singing. That's not a criticism, it's just that we like his voice from his earlier works when he was singing without too many of the little nuances that he puts into his works these days.

Also, usually live he's having to sing above the group to be heard whereas acoustically it's all stripped back and songs like 'Will Our Love End' and 'Holy Man' just showcase what we all know. Our Glenn has THE Voice.

This truly was a fabulous, fabulous occasion. Yeah, I made the open suggestion that he copies the Tommy Bolin Tribute shows and does, annually, An Evening Of Trapeze Music, in the West Midlands (ideally The Robin2) dedicated to the memory of Mel. He could just play Trapeze stuff and mix it up both full on electric funk with acoustic interludes. He could bring out stuff he's not played solo (to my knowledge) ... stuff like 'Feelin So Much Better Now', 'Loser' and 'Midnight Flyer.

I hope he takes me up on the suggestion because Saturday showed what an intimate setting the acoustic gig can be. Then the memory of Mel and Trapeze can live on, in the safest hands possible, for ever !!

Pete.

• Here's a review plus a picture gallery from today's Express & Star, the local Cannock newspaper :cool:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/09/22/glenn-hughes-goes-back-to-his-roots/

• Great gig - not much else to say.... There were some songs I never thought I'd hear live (Imperfection, Satellite & esp I Found a Woman & It's About Time) plus fantastic acoustic versions of loads of others. Shame (to me) the electric set relied on Purps stuff, but understandable I guess. I do wish Glenn'd learn the words to Superstition, too!!! ;)

Must admit I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the FUNK gig at the same venue, but it was just such a GAS to hear so many new songs at that one!

Only had my crap camera as usual - no photopass! :lol - so didn't get any shots to add much to Wartypig's. If anyone wants a look tho, they're at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7145181…57607425457440/

This is the best one:

love

TC

• What an incredible review, with photographs,
    from "The GHCP Reviews and Photographs Department" :)
    of what must have been an even more spectacular
    Glenn Hughes performance than.......the usual........
    spectacular GH performance.

And we all knew that Annette Galley was a class act :rose:
    Thanks for the two photographs prooving it :heart:

Grace ~

axmuremoticon.gif

• Wow what an amazing evening. The acoustic set was super. I've seen Glenn many times but this was the greatest for me because I met Glenn at the end and had my picture taken with him and got a couple of cds signed.

Would anyone have a scan of a ticket stub they could send me please. I didn't pick one up as I left because after meeting Glenn we were ushered out of the fire exit. In my excitement I totally forgot. I phoned the Robin today and they told me they had all been throw away by now. Can anyone do me the honour please? ;)

Files

"Ive been mistreated, Ive been abused.
    Ive been struck downhearted, baby, Ive been confused cause I know, yes, I know Ive been mistreated.
    Since my baby left me Ive been losing my mind, you know I have." - Richie Blackmore & David Coverdale

• Like everyone on this website I,ve seen some incredible performances by a multitude of amazing artists, but if I ever see anything better than Glenn's performance at the Robin on saturday, it will be by Glenn Hughes.
    Steve.

• Would anyone have a scan of a ticket stub they could send me please. I didn't pick one up as I left because after meeting Glenn we were ushered out of the fire exit. In my excitement I totally forgot. I phoned the Robin today and they told me they had all been throw away by now. Can anyone do me the honour please? ;)

if you ask Harry Le Chat she should have some. i think she and Jerome took about 20! :eek:

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• I've really enjoyed this thread - and some STUNNING pictures from you all!!! :claphands :claphands

Lovely shot of Annette and Glenn too :rose:

:thumbup:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• if you ask Harry Le Chat she should have some. i think she and Jerome took about 20! :eek:

:lol: Yes - I remember Nathalie picking up a similar amount at Chad and Steve's drum clinic in Norwich! :lol:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• if you ask Harry Le Chat she should have some. i think she and Jerome took about 20! :eek:

Will do thanks :)

"Ive been mistreated, Ive been abused.
    Ive been struck downhearted, baby, Ive been confused cause I know, yes, I know Ive been mistreated.
    Since my baby left me Ive been losing my mind, you know I have." - Richie Blackmore & David Coverdale

• Finally got a chance to get on and say what a great gig it was.

Having seen the totally acoustic set in Brentford earlier this year and been blown away i knew to expect something special and Glenn produced the goods again :D

All the reviews sum up the atmosphere and the performance perfectly. One thing not mentioned was he played
    "Its Only a Dream" from the first Trapeze album before Holy Man - and name checked me in the process. if any bootleggers have that bit on film/audio please let me know :)

Highlights - well everything really :thumbup: ;) :bouncer:

No photos from me as i was busy with something else ;)

Wish i could have met a few more of you people on here after the show. Nice to see and chat to our Frenchies Nath and Jerome again, Keith, Dpurpleface, Musicman, Mike Moore, Hackney and some friends from myspace land who made it over.

Two things i would like to plug:

Jake Henry, who sang a couple of songs upstairs at the party afterwards. check him out here

And also another thread that Glenn asked me to start during the Q&A session - setlist requests for 2009

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!