Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Camp Summer Tour 2008

• Glenn Hughes leads Jennifer Halliday through the classic 'Smoke on the Water.'
    Courtesy: Handschuh/News

Glenn kicked off his time with the Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Camp and performed to a sold out crowd last night in New York City. Click the link below for an audio slideshow featuring some of the campers he was counseling today :cool:

Audio/Pix slideshow

Video Snapshot :cool:

Next stop is Cleveland on Wednesday :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/08/0…ll_fantasy.html

• thanks for the post david.
    "smoke on the water... go figure.
    if they only knew the songs that glenn has in his catologue. i wonder if that's fun for glenn, or is it just like any old trip to the dentist?
    i wonder if they're gonna learn highway star as an encore ?
    peace,

• David I totally agree. As Joe Lynn once argued, Marks 3,4 and 5 performed that song, kept the Purple train moving and are part of its heritage. Why not? And yes exposure in America is vital. Wait til Blackmore's mother in law clocks that! Mark 3 anyone? :thumbup:

• If only!! I've been hoping for a MKIII Reunion for at least 10 years, of course Paicey wouldn't be there as he's still with Mk II and to be honest, i think he's a bit tired nowdays. Ritchie needs to grow some nads, tell the dragon to stick it where the sun don't shine and get out and play some good ol' heavy rock again. If not MkIII then give Ronnie a call!! I don't know that DC can sing the old Purple stuff too well anymore anyhow, he's lost his mid to high mid range vocals, that's where most of that stuff's sung. The Whitesnake version of "Burn" aint that great and apparently they tried "Mistreated" but Dave didn't feel comfortable singing it anymore... a shame.... if only he'd quit smoking 20 years ago instead of 7, he might've still had that part of his voice.

• I don't watch much TV but I will check out the schedules....maybe it will get rebroadcast in the early morning hours...when all normal people are asleep...and not working on airplanes all night!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah..I should have stayed in school and become a brain surgeon! ;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Ah, the inevitabilities in this life...death..taxes..David always being on the job! :thumbup: :cool:

When I get home I will watch the clip. I couldn't make the show last night but King Crimson on the 17th will ease the pain a bit! ;)

Thanks again, David!!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Hi Everybody -

I'm back with my report from NYC...

Upon taking the stage, Glenn exclaimed "Wish me luck!" His group then hammered out "Smoke On The Water" and "Superstition." Despite the lackluster, let's-have-fun performance by his one-day camp band, Hughes - who played bass and helped out on vocals - was very animated and in good spirits - lots of screamin'! ;)

But there was no counselor jam! :( That's what made last year's event so unique and special. They were running late, so I'm not sure if it was scrapped for that reason or not planned at all for this tour. I know the "All-Star Counselors" will headline the upcoming Nashville and Vegas gigs, so get there if you can, because that's the good stuff.

King's X was amazing! One of the tightest live bands I've ever seen. I've been meaning to check them out for years, but, you know, there are so many other artists to keep up with and listen to. I was floored and will be diggin' deeper.

Extreme has plenty of chops, some good tunes, and they know how to put on a high-energy rock show...but it's a little too over the top (extreme!) for my tastes.

The Fillmore was packed, hot as hell, and it was controlled chaos from beginning to end - everything a rock concert should be!

Damien

(attached are a couple of pix from Glenn's set)

• thanks for the post and pics. Damien. i'm glad that you had a chance to see glemm for a bit . i saw kings x about 17 years ago. i remember then thinking how big and tight they sounded. you could easily tell that their records were not a product of any real studio magic. they pulled it off and were really good. i also saw extreme once too. ( gary and nuno also did an in-store apearence and short acoustic thing in a music store i was working in then).
    peace,

• Well, I haven't seen the Laura Ingle interview, but Glenn was prominent on a NATIONAL FOX broadcast last night. He lead the segment and was mentioned by name and shown 'teaching' in three separate segments. I believe it was Shepard Smith's program on FOX news. Glenn looked real good and got some good albeit short press on the National stage for once.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Here is Laura Ingle's (FOX News) piece on the RRFC from NYC - a couple more videos and pix included :cool:

http://onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/08/05/roc…l-fantasy-camp/

and here again is her first report from the other night...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popu….php?cl=9139835

• Yes it's a shame Paicey's begun to tire lately. He has been a great drummer but it's just bass and snare these days. Maybe just maybe he could hack it. The biggest problem for a Mark 3 reunion would unfortunately be David but then again if he's helped along a harmonic route by Glenn, he could get away with some of the mid octave songs like Lay Down Stay Down and You Fool No One.

Either way, I'd really give Whitesnake a miss now. There's no hiding place when you are the lead vocalist. People expect Still of the Night and they get a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Sad but true. And the current Deep Purple? Mark 3 is the only viable possibility.

• my people ive just come back from seeing mr glenn hughes :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: damm!!!!!!!!

i managed to stand center stage about 3rd line of people back -glenn was right in front of me!!!! his was the second to the last band to play_( i started to panic when i didnt see him at first but then i thought -hey who has the guts to go on after him? kip winger thats who -but kip was the mc so i think thats how that worked) his band played smoke on the water -glenn singing beautifully -man can he play bass damm! -then one of the campers sang a johnny cash song -glenns bass playing took that song over followed by american woman done like lenny kravits did it -to me he easily blew away the rest of the famous musicians there-after that he said good by and walked off very quickly -i thought he seamed upset but maybe this is the way he leaves the stage -i dont know - i heard some young kids next to me sound astonished( man he can play the bass and sing like that too?) i think he had a lot of the people amazed like i was--from there i tryed to watch kings x but my wife who tires easily started to feel sick so after about 4 songs we left -i dont care -i got to see glenn sing and scream and play a million beautiful notes on the bass.

:claphands :claphands :claphands :claphands :claphands

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!