MEL GALLEY 1948-2008

• Mel was a fantastic human being.

It has been an honour and privilege to know him and be able to call him my friend these past few years.

He was a true old fashioned gentleman and will never be forgotten as a person or musician.

I spoke to Annette earlier this evening and she wants to thank you all so much for all your kind words and thoughts over these last few months. It brought a lot of help and strength to them both.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• RIP Mel.

Even though it was expected, it's so sad to hear this.

Big love to Mel's family & friends, I hope that they can feel the love from all over the world for a truly great musician, and a wonderful man.

The world is a lesser place today without Mel in it.

• a very sad day,

my condolences for Mel's family, we will remeber him for all the songs he wrote. A terrible lost.

Rest in peace Mel.

Pere

• A sad day indeed.

What can I say that hasn't been said before, all these past decades since Mel first broke onto the scene. I feel lucky to have seen Mel play in Trapeze and most privileged to have met him twice in my life. Most recently at his 60th birthday party. An event I'll never, ever forget.

Mel was a true gentleman in every sense.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the entire Galley family.

Chip

Chip

• When you fill out your profile on My Space, one of the topics is "Heroes". I didn't go for the usual suspects and I think that anyone who has read a few profiles knows who they are...I chose several teachers that I had in school. Joe Young, my history teacher in eighth grade, Gene Warasila, my tenth grade biology teacher, Ron Carol, my eleventh grade chemistry teacher and Sandra Magaril, my seventh grade English teacher. They all had one thing in common...they GAVE of themselves as teachers and they taught me valuable lessons about striving for excellence and sharing the knowledge and talent that they possessed.

It's all about GIVING...what did Glenn say..something about having to give love before you can receive it. I am also reminded about what former Boston Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee said about heroes; we should find our heroes in the bathroom mirror every morning.

And Mel....you are a hero too.

Remember way back when you were playing your guitar in a band and this young kid several years junior to you used to watch you play and follow you around? Remember how you formed a band with him and took to the road...What did Glenn say...that you taught him how to live like a man and that you led him down the path to the musician that he is today. You GAVE of your self as a man and shared your talent.

I have read what musicians like Justin Hayward and John Lodge had to say about you...about your talent and your sense of humor...You carried yourself with a dignity and poise in everything you did as a musician and as a man.

I think about Chip Charlton and what a thrill it was to travel to Cannock to meet you for your birthday. I am thinking about John Hackney and how he shared his stories here on the forum about his lifelong friendship with you. And I am thinking about Paul Smith and everything he has done for you in regard to your My Space site and how his tireless work let YOU know just how many people remembered you and loved your music. You were so touched by that...you couldn't believe that so many people still loved the music and shared their stories of how it touched their lives. I am thinking about all the people who saw you play and thought to themselves; " Yeah..I want to do that!!"

And when you were confronted with the short amount of time left on this earth you had your greatest lesson yet to teach. You didn't wallow in self pity; you surrounded yourself with friends and family and celebrated the last months of your life. You knew what an amazing life you had led and you were so thankful for everything you had experienced and achieved. I got a grin when you wrote about having the ice machine right next to your bed...I am thinking about Annette, Marcus and Lucas tonight too...you shared your last days with your beloved family and I know that while they will miss you...they will be forever grateful to have had you as a part of their lives.

I am thinking about Sandra Magaril tonight; she died far too young of cancer yet made the trip to school every day despite her pain because she put her students first...when she was told of her prognosis, she told her class "I am going to teach you something far more important than English. I am going to teach you about how to live and how to die". She taught her students about dignity. And you taught us about dignity too.

It was Christmas four years ago about three weeks after my father had passed away. I was walking outside that night; it was clear and very cold. I gazed up at the stars and thought about my father amidst the stars...On this July night in New York City I can't see the stars but I know you are out there with your black Les Paul plugged into a Marshall stack and rocking the heavens...

I have never met you Mel...but I am honored to add you to my list of heroes...You GAVE of yourself in this life and your legacy will always burn bright.

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• This is very sad news. But I am glad he was able to spend the remainder of his days surrounded by family and friends. And that he passed on peacefully.

I know what it is like to be given a poor prognosis and come within arm's length of one own's mortality. To live every moment as if it were your last. Its not just a cliche for some people.

Mel experienced highs (playing with the likes of Trapeze and Whitesnake) and lows (his horrific, career-threatening hand injury) in his lifetime and he endured it all with class.

I send my sincerest condolences to Mel's family and friends...

Brian

• Mel Galley was a sadly underated musician.

You are the music,and Medusa remain to this day 2 of my favourite albums.

I remember being at a great Trapeze show at the Marquee in late 1978 when pete goalby was in the band.

Glenn paid a moving tribute to him at the Astoria show in London a few weeks ago.
    A sad loss as a musician and a husband ,father and i'm sure a true and loyal mate.

My sincere condolonces to Mel's family and friends.

• Todd has asked me to post his thoughts, and he would like to express the following...

"My condolences to Mel Galley's family, friends and fans. Mel was an underrated talent who was a true gentleman of the guitar. Whether a song was fiery, funky or soulful, there was always a simple elegance to his playing. There were no wasted notes. Mel Galley gave us some great music, and in that his memory will live on. With great sadness and fond remembrance...Todd."

Chip

• I am very sad to hear about the death of Mel Galley. He was and still is a very talented guitarist, singer and songwriter. I like to thank him for the wonderful music that he made with Whitesnake, Trapeze and Phenomena. I will miss him a lot and my thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends and also to Glenn Hughes.

Rest in Peace Mel

Ayesha

• Very sad news, Mel along with Glenn inspired me to take up playing music over 35 years ago after getting into one of the best bands around "Trapeze"

You are the Music Mel - were just the fans

Heartfelt condolences to Mels family at this sad time.

Mel, I salute you !

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :bow: :claphands :claphands :claphands

• Sorry to hear of Mel's passing, he showed great dignity in his accepatnce of his illness.

I feel for all those who new him personaly, his wife and family and of course Glenn and all those he touched with his music.

May you be at peace. A life well lived.

• I joined the fan forum today just to say how sorry I am to here
    of the passing of Mel G. I cannot say how many hours of listening pleasure he, Glenn, and Dave gave me way back when.
    You are already missed Mel,
    John

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!