Rises Over Japan

• From DPAS....

quote:
    A 16mm print of the "Deep Purple Rises Over Japan" film has at last been secured. It was located in EMI's Dutch archive, thanks to the help of dpas member Tonny Steenhagen. Deep Purple (Overseas) will be having the footage transferred to a digital format as soon as practicable to ensure that the material is safely archived. It is the 25 minute edit of the December 15th 1975 show, which has been on pirate video for some time in poor quality.

No firm release plans yet but the footage is likely to form part of an upcoming Deep Purple DVD archive collection.
  • Should be very interesting !!! I have a video of this which is ok in quality but not great. There are some great shots of Glenn in fine form and watching the vid is better than listening to the two Cd's !!!!

• At the end of the day, I find this sort of thing does Purple no favours (royalties aside of course). I have this show on video and I'm none too impressed. It's a pretty chaotic affair that in no way showed what this line up were capable of. Ah well, my thoughts anyway. It's not something I'm going to buy.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

• I like the recording as it demonstrated to me that the world tour Purple had some high moments of drama. Purple always were a highly charged outfit and chaos in a live context is no bad thing. When it transfers to video, you tend to lose the context, the ambience, the atmosphere of the original shows which I was fortunate to experience at first hand. But of course it is the next best thing and I will search the official package out for posterity.

• Quote from James Gaden

At the end of the day, I find this sort of thing does Purple no favours (royalties aside of course). I have this show on video and I'm none too impressed. It's a pretty chaotic affair that in no way showed what this line up were capable of. Ah well, my thoughts anyway. It's not something I'm going to buy.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

I agree........I have it too. I think I only watched it twice......Bolin is particularly bad on any Blackmore stuff.....especially the Bach sections of Burn. It's not that he wasn't capable of doing the Ritchie stuff properly, but that he didn't want to do it or was too strung out to care.

John

• With nearly 30 years hindsight, it is easy to reflect on what could have been an incredible combination of the talents that were Tommy Bolin and Deep Purple.....and it has been well hashed over.

My brother found a copy of the "Rises Over Japan" video in Blockbuster, of all places. he did copy it and my memory of it is that it was quite dark and the really clumsy edit in SOTW; Tommy is playing his Strat and the coda shows him playing his Les Paul! The problems surrounding Tommy's hand are well documented but one fact that goes undiscussed is that Tommy's gear seems to have been giving him trouble that night as well..and all the remixing and remastering on the planet can't change that fact. It is alluded to in the booklet and one only needs to compare his overdriven, hot tone on "Foxbat" to the somewhat glazed, pallid tone on the Tokyo recordings.

Tell you what...I would gladly take a properly remastered/expanded CTTB over a remastered, cleaned up print of a less than stellar moment in DP history.....

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Yes, Tommy was REALLY a great guitarist with no doubt. Unfortunate thing is that he was not in a best condition on that night :confused:

Still, Tommy was good and moreover, our GH was so super on that night to blow every one away :bow:

• Whitesnake.com appear to have the full version of "You Keep On Moving" from this recording for download. The sound quality is good but I thought only photos came in sepia!!!
    Anyway it was great to see some live video of Tommy with Purple, the only stuff I've seen is as Achim said, a badly dubbed "Stormbringer" on Heavy Metal Pioneers.
    Simon

• Just downloaded You Keep On Moving. Is it just me (perhaps the video quality), or are there different angles. I've had a copy for several years and from what I can see there is. I will just have to reinvestigate.

The sound is good and well synched(!). Surely there must be more of this stuff, rest of the band? What about the World In Action stuff (Heavy Metal Pioneers, Stormbringer?), does any of the band know - Glenn? I would love to see more of this stuff - huge GH/TB fan.

For now I will just need to go look at my copy.

Ian

• Quote from David

It can be a little hard to find, so here it is too :)

Thanks, David.
    Not exactly my favorite version of YKOM.
    But if you want to see MK 4 live, than this version is it.

Hey........this is my 700th post!
    Just send my award to me via the post office.
    In seven large guitar cases.
    Thank you.

axmuremoticon.gif

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!