Classic Rock stuck in 70's rut!!

• Hi All,

'Too Much Funky Business' ??? (Classic Rock Review 6/10)

Classic Rock do not seem to want to let Glenn be free of his Deep Purple past.

They just don't get it!! :confused:

Although high praise in parts ('voice is as powerful and emotive as ever' , 'when this record is good it's very good') the review is critical of F.U.N.K.s/GH's 'wholesale revisionism' and 'disownment of one's past'.

It beggars belief that they criticise the track 'Where's There's A Will'). This for me is a standout track and one that would have not been out of place on 'Play Me Out' (they DEFINITELY would not GET THAT ONE!!)

Glenn is a relevant modern artist making new 'classics' not rehashing and/or touring on the back of albums made 30 plus years ago.

Like 'FEEL' and 'PMO' I believe 'FUNK' will be an album that will be revisited and will be seen as a classic 'GLENN HUGHES' album that will form a cornerstone of an already impressive body (of SOLO!!!) work.

Mikey 'the bass it don't lie' :D

(I think this is the longest post I've ever done - I'm now gonna put on Play Me Out and chill) :thumbup:

• I dunno'....Glenn could make whatever Classic Rock consider the perfect record and they'd still give it a low score.

If I still had a subscription with them, this would make yet another reason to cancel it!! Hmmm, perhaps I should start a subscription to Kerrang, as even they found the F U N K and gave it a reasonable and unbiased review!

• If Glenn's past consisted solely of Deep Purple they would have a point. But we all know that to be untrue, right? :cool:

I concur with David; Glenn could make a rock record that makes the invention of the wheel pale by comparison and they would still find something to pick at.....

Remember what I said in the piece I wrote about Mel....Critics don't buy records....We do!!

Just remember what the magazine's name is....;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• I think you guys are giving Classic Rock a bad rap....it's one of the only magazines on the newstands these days that features my idols....Glenn and Paul Rodgers...............:D

• Classic rock in the past few years has really gone down hill and has actually become more like Old Heavy Metal and has adopted the Q approach of best of lists every month as a cheap and easy/lazy way of filling space. The sad result though is that their sales have actually risen and each issues sells more than the NME.

I have lost track of the endless articles on the rock and roll excess of groups like Velvet Revolver, Guns and Roses, Led Zepplin, etc. With little real coverage of anything new in the world of rock. Two great British groups Porcupine Tree and Mostly Autumn have received virtually no coverage as they dont conform to Classic Rocks house style of living in the past and celebrating wild living.

We all know that FUNK is right up there with the very best of Glenns solo albums and is a great record that deserves to sell in vast numbers if there was any justice in this world. If Classic Rock cannot see that it says a lot more about their approach to journalism than Glenns music.

I think we are all happy with Glenn making the music that he wants to and keeps pushing himself creatively. I would much rather enjoy a creative artist than a cliche ridden caberet rock act such as the latest Whitesnake album that classic rock loved!

• Paul that's a beaut :lol: Yeah they are not on my Christmas card list after their incompetence of not placing our tour ad in. And they come up with that. Cheers lads. And when the next free Iron Maiden Eddie promo mugs appear along with the copy of the Live DVD from their only date in the UK, the five star reviews will abound from the same journos. Way of the world I'm afraid :confused:

• Just for the record, here is the review from Cla$$ic cRock :D

If you feel compelled as I was, please send an email to this rag in response, to classicrock@futurenet.co.uk with a subject of "Communication Breakdown, CLASSIC ROCK : Glenn Hughes, First Underground Nuclear Kitchen review", and to take it one step further, send the same, to it's editor, Scott Rowley scott.rowley@futurenet.co.uk and deputy editor, Sian Llewellyn at sian.llewellyn@futurenet.co.uk. Time is of the essence, in order to have any chance of having them show up in the next issue (assuming they do the right thing)!

:mad:

• Oi Iain!

Leave the Whitesnake album alone. I think its good, and i've said it before. Some bands repeat the same formula rigidly such as AC/DC and are treated as gods, bands like ws stick fairly close to their formula and get slated :confused: You can't say that you can put GTBB next to Come And Get It and say its the same old stuff.

Will have to be pistols at dawn if you carry on :eek: :D

Paul

• If you feel compelled as I was, please send an email to this rag in response, to classicrock@futurenet.co.uk with a subject of "Communication Breakdown, CLASSIC ROCK : Glenn Hughes, First Underground Nuclear Kitchen review", and to take it one step further, send the same, to it's editor, Scott Rowley scott.rowley@futurenet.co.uk and deputy editor, Sian Llewellyn at sian.llewellyn@futurenet.co.uk. Time is of the essence, in order to have any chance of having them show up in the next issue (assuming they do the right thing)!

:mad:

Emails sent :sint5:

• I stopped buying Classic Rock years ago, it seemed every issue had Led Zep or Guns n Roses (yawn) on the cover! That said, everyone's entitled to their opinion; this guy doesn't like F.U.N.K. but he's the only person I've heard who doesn't think this is one of Glenn's very best releases. He obviously doesn't like having a funky element to rock music(I think Living Colour are great) but he's only one negative in what has been overwhelmingly positive coverage for F.U.N.K. so far. It's best to ignore him and leave him to listen to his Led Zep and Pink Floyd vinyls while the rest of the world moves on.

• I don't think GTBB is next to CAGI,it's a great album next to all his classics.Many people here compares Glenn and David careers',why? I love Glenn solo albums,he is my favourite singer but I also love the snakes ones.They took different ways,that´s all.

• lot of stuff going on in this thread, so let me start here, as far as i'm concerned, i'm drawing my guns now. GTBB wishes that it was as good as CAGI, or any whitesnake recore from the pre-blonde days, but at least david is still trying. i give him credit for that, but he doesnt even sound like the same singer anymore.

as for the review in the "rag" i agree that they ought to just go on and FUNK themselves. e-mail to the editor is on the way. anyway, if history is any indication, i'd be scared if they actualy liked it. how does one get that job anyway, by flunking out of rock journalism school?
    peace,

• Folks, don't lose sight of the fact that an album review is still just someone's opinion. I don't think the author of the review should be raked over the coals simply because he didn't agree with the majority of positive reviews by other publications. The review seemed well thought out, and I don't have a problem with it, even if it doesn't agree with my own perspective of the album.

And hey, he didn't mention Glenn's hair or scarf or anything else non-music related like another reviewer did not too awfully long ago.

Cheers...Todd

• I don't think the author of the review should be raked over the coals simply because he didn't agree with the majority of positive reviews by other publications.

He's not being "raked over the coals" because of his opinion so much, but rather for his complete ignorance and the insults he hurls at Glenn for such gems as 'wholesale revisionism' and 'disownment of one's past' - WTF, he obviously has no clue that Deep Purple wasn't the first band Glenn was ever involved with :eek: although from the sounds of it, it was Black Sabbath or H/T that came first, right? Jeez....if you're going to call yourself a music journalist, at least bone up on the subject at hand :mad:

Anyway, like you say, we all have our own opinions and mine was expressed, just as eloquently, back to Mr. Rowley and his rag :)

• David, Therein lies the problem.....many fans ONLY know of Glenn as the ex-bassist/co-vocalist of Deep Purple (or they just plain refuse to accept the fact that Glenn has always had a leaning towards the soul/funky side). I've been with Glenn since the beginning with my purchase of the first Trapeze album (wasn't anything really funky on it but that 'voice' grabbed me!) Medusa gaves us a hint of things to come with the rock/funk of "Your Love Is Alright" but Glenn really affirmed himself with You Are The Music....We're Just The Band album.....the BRILLIANT pairing of 'white soul/rockin' black'!!!!! :clapper:

• Chutsler brings up a valid point - Glenn is known most for his tenure with Deep Purple. Nowhere in the review did the author say that Glenn got his start with Deep Purple, he simply stated the fact that Deep Purple is most peoples' point of reference when it comes to Glenn. And if you know Glenn from his past with Deep Purple, and pick up the FUNK album, you may well be perplexed / surprised / disappointed / fill in the blank . Especially given the fact that the CD slip case touts the album as the latest release by the Voice Of ROCK.

Cheers...Todd

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!