Bedford - DP Convention Review

• yesterday i went to the DP Convention in Bedford.

a great day indeed :)

I got the chance to chat to both Nick Simper and Pete Parks in the bar before their set and Nicks Q&A session. Two really nice guys.

There were various rare bootleg videos shown on a giant screen in between events, including all of the one shot by the Uni Student of MK3, and the French show of MK2.

Nick's band The Good Old Boys played a great set of songs. slick professional band and i liked the singer's throaty blues voice.

Glenn did a meet,greet and signing session for 45 minutes or so and everone who wanted to had the chance to speak to him.

then a break for about an hour (during which Nath, Jerome and I eventually found Burger King - dont ask us about McDonalds!) - and then Glenn came on stage with just keyboard regular Anders.

WOW. what a great performance. despite seeing Glenn play so many times this was once again something to marvel at. The Voice in the raw with just acoustic guitar and keys.

i could witter on for ages but you know how good he is already :bow: :singer:

Set List:

Coast to Coast
    I found a woman
    Mistreated
    It's about time
    Seafull
    The world around us (just keyboards)
    Will Our love end
    Nights in white satin
    dont let me bleed
    Holy man
    U keep on movin

encore of Stormbringer.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

not a bad setlist eh! ;)

Glenn also told stories about DP and answered questions from the audience. Very funny. if you want to know more - "It's all in the book". Glenn announced his autobiography and that quickly became his catchphrase for the night :lol:

Nathalie's camcorder wouldnt work so no video from her, but plenty had cameras so im sure something will appear on youtube soon. i might even have filmed a little bit myself ;)

also met a few GHPG's - come on where's your pics n stuff :huh: :p

and i chatted to a guy from Houston who had seen Trapeze back in the early 70's many times. he knew the ZZ Top guys back then too. hopefully he's sending me some scans of Trapeze stuff he has.

the only complaint of the entire night was the lighting could have been brighter on the stage.

• 2 minutes of The World Around Us is now available to watch on my Myspace page. It finishes abruptly due to my memory card getting full!

this is shrunk down from 144mb mov file to a 10mb flv so loses a bit of quality. And its dark cos the venue was.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• wolfy, I checked with the fashion police, and they approved
    of your DP "Burn" t-shirt, the GH/bass one, and the "Teaser" t-shirt.
    Not too shabby, none.

Too bad that the guy standing next to you was wearing sunglasses.
    Who was he? :lol:

So a great time was had by all, huh?
    Thanks for the report ~

axmuremoticon.gif

• Thanks Paul for your report - you're so lucky to have had the chance to attend an event such as that, despite the low-light conditions :) Meanwhile, you can now find some other pix over at dpas, such as this one :cool:

Picture Courtesy: Alan Perry

http://www.deep-purple.net/gallery/bedford-08/bedford.html

• Thank you guys :thumbup:
    Sorry I did not have a minute this week to write a few lines about the show but Paul & my other half did it perfectly well.

I just wanted to add that it was our first acoustic experience and the only thing I can say is : we want more...!!!
    Absolutely great performance by Glenn & Anders. As Paul & Jerome said, the main problem was the lightning. Too dark.

Sorry that the camcorder did not work. I'll try and record this week end in Norway :)

It was a real pleasure to see the GHCPs (UK contingent) !!!

:ghcp:

• Another of your great shots Jerome in this link - the one with Et Glenn est prêt ... underneath it :thumbup:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• I know you don't mind Jerome, so I've copied the photo I mentioned up above and put it on my desktop with a black background. I had serious problems with my PC for a few days and completely lost my fave pic of Glenn from my desktop, etc. Will have to scour the globe to get it back! Doh! :(

Jerome's pic looks superb! :bow: :cool: You should all try it, if only for a minute to see the effect - quite eerie looking, coming from the darkness of your desktop. One of the best shots I've seen of the 'new' Glenn.

:lips:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• I know you don't mind Jerome, so I've copied the photo I mentioned up above and put it on my desktop with a black background. I had serious problems with my PC for a few days and completely lost my fave pic of Glenn from my desktop, etc. Will have to scour the globe to get it back! Doh! :(

Jerome's pic looks superb! :bow: :cool: You should all try it, if only for a minute to see the effect - quite eerie looking, coming from the darkness of your desktop. One of the best shots I've seen of the 'new' Glenn.

:lips:

Thanks Shirl, See you soon & take care

Bye

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!